Destiny City: The Numerix Wars [OOC/No Longer Accepting Applications] [PG-16]

Alexa Fleming: Accepted! Welcome aboard!

Ken Andrews: Accepted! Good to have a dedicated Turbo Duelist, it gives me a reason to bust out that old rulebook!

To answer your questions, we go by 5D's rules, meaning Speed Counters are a thing. However, your non Speed-Spell Cards are converted by the system into Speed Spell versions, given a certain number of Speed Counters needed to use it, etc, while in a Turbo Duel.

You can indeed use OCG cards, as long as they aren't banned with good reason.

Numerix monsters feed on and amplify their user's desires. This can be a slow process with the strong-willed or those with obstructions towards their goals. This can manifest in a positive (empowering) or negative (corrupting) nature. Consider the Numerix you've chosen and it's design when deciding how it will influence your character. The Numerix functions like a little voice in your head, driving you to do things. Nearby Numerix resonate with each other, urging their Duelists to fight so they can be together. A Numerix you didn't start with will not conform to your desires, instead adding their first owner's onto you. Once you reach certain "checkpoints" (having 3 Numerix, 5, or even 10) new developments can occur...

So, Technically, 76 can only Presesnt the idea to be evil. So it fits the bill nicely with the corrupting nature

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Golden Glutton]

GhdY2an.jpg
"Hold my food. I've got this."

Name: Kazato Kin (formerly Ueyonabaru Kin)

[spoiler=Appearance]ND4Y0xB.jpg
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 153 pounds

Kin - true to her name - has bright golden eyes. Directly in contrast with this eye color, she has long black hair often tied back into a ponytail, framing a face with rough features that often has some sort of food being shoved into the mouth. Her fashion sense is a very jackets and cargo pants one, with tank tops underneath the former. This type of outfit can make it hard to tell at a glance that Kin has muscle. Lots of muscle. One would think she's a regular at the gym if they got a glance of her biceps. Hell, if she cut her hair and bandaged her breasts down into flatness, she could pass off for a football player. This relatively manly shape isn't her favorite physical trait (it's her hair; she likes its fluffy texture), but she'd be lying if she said she'd have it any other way.

[spoiler=Personality]When one imagines elegance and class, Kin is probably one of the last people that comes to mind. She's selfish, gluttonous, greedy, violent, tactless, and one of the most bullheaded people you'll likely come across. What she can't settle with words, she settles with brute force. Given she was never much for negotiating, of course, this means Kin settles more or less everything with raw strength and intimidation instead of asking nicely. This paints a negative image of her, which makes people less keen on negotiating with an already-poor negotiator, forcing her to use force even more, and creating an endless loop that causes Kin to come off as a violent thug who shoves others around to get her way. And honestly, that image isn't inaccurate, though it does only portrays Kin as she is at a glance.

Kin, for all her flaws, says it like it is and doesn't talk about things in a roundabout manner. She doesn't believe in disguising a person's words or nature, and strictly adheres to the ideal that people should be true to who they are. She makes no effort to improve on her flaws because they're what makes her her, and she sees no reason that she should have to change herself to make others feel better. They may not like it, but Kin just doesn't give a damn. In the same vein, she doesn't think others should bother changing themselves either; everyone is unique for a reason, and each individual should treasure their sense of self. Kin has no interest in fake people and blatant acts, and expects others to tell her things just as frankly as she would for them. She's pretty perceptive about facades too, having seen and even put up plenty of them in the past.

There's also some good in her, though it might be hard to see it under her relentless nature. Kin isn't afraid to get her hands dirty for a just cause, and in particular believes strong people like herself should be tasked with protecting weak folk who can't do it themselves, though also believes the weak should at least try to stand up for themselves. She knows it's hypocritical for her, who gets by almost exclusively by pushing around those weaker than her, but she doesn't really bother trying to justify her own case. She isn't really fond of trying to do anything major with words, for that matter, since she speaks straight from the heart and will likely say the wrong thing. She can't stand making mistakes, so she tries to avoid situations where she'd be prone to them.

Another thing Kin doesn't like in particular is her family roots. Kin doesn't want to be anything like her birth parentss, so being compared to them or using her old name to get any type of leverage anywhere is a huge no-no to her. Kin wants to be recognized for her, and to that end, generally doesn't share her full story. On the flip side, it means Kin isn't one to generalize people. Every good tree bears some bad apples, and the opposite is also true, so Kin would rather judge a person based on the individual instead of the groups they associate with. Speaking of groups, Kin doesn't like to associate with any of them.

At the core, Kin - even if she won't admit it - is scared of people. They have remarkable capacities for cruelty, and she's already dealt with that song and dance in the past. She doesn't want to be subject to whatever awful things a person may or may not have in mind for her, so - like a cornered beast - Kin opts to make them fear her before she has to fear them. It's not easy to convince her someone is harmless either, so it can take a lot more than a burger and some fries for Kin to finally be at ease in someone's presence. Crowds are just awful for her, and she can't stand being the center of attention for a large number of people.

Catch her during those rare moments where she isn't constantly on guard, however, and Kin's a pretty simple girl. She just wants the same thing anyone else wants, and that's to be happy in life. And for her, that means not having to be afraid of anyone or anything, even if she has to raise copious amounts of hell to make it happen. If she could, she'd be happy to retire to a life where she lives alone away from civilization, getting her food from animals she hunts and staying in shape with a rigorous exercise schedule.

[spoiler=Biography]The Ueyonabaru family. Rich. Prestigious. And very, very particular about their public image so that they can stay that way. The family's elevated status is a direct result of Kin's mother, Ueyonabaru Masumi - a saint and super-successful businesswoman in the eyes of the public - putting in hard work and pulling strings to put herself on top of the world. Her husband, Ueyonabaru Takeo, is a rich philanthropist. And the daughter, Kin, is an aspiring and highly talented young athlete. They are a happy family that's been blessed in life, and wants to help bless others in return. Such was the picture Masumi wanted everyone to have when they thought of the Ueyonabaru family. Where cameras dare not peek, however, the reality is far less idyllic.

Masumi - a narcissist and sociopath - only cared about seeming like the perfect woman in the public eye, and she wasn't concerned with the kinds of lengths she'd have to go to in order to make it happen. She'd only ever married Takeo for his money and because he was a giant pushover, letting Masumi easily give him whatever kind of script she wanted, and he'd read it off with a wavering smile on his face. Kin, although greatly athletic, had no interest in sports; it was a road she was forced down so that Masumi could have her perfect talented daughter. From a young age, it was clear that Kin was far less of a pushover than her father, and as a direct result, her family relations were strained at best. Ironically, Kin's tendency to settle matters with force was a trait she inherited from the person she despises most.

A recurring cycle back home was that of Kin letting it slip that nothing in the Ueyonabaru family was even remotely as happy as her parents liked to pretend, then receive an overly harsh - abusive even - punishment as a means to make her stop. Talk about the father being little more than a trophy pet? No food for five days. Discuss the daughter's lack of real interest in the sports her mother forced her to pursue? Say hello to Masumi's good friend, the whip. Finally snap at age fifteen and attack Masumi? Quietly and discreetly get disowned and thrown onto the streets of Destiny City - a good two days of driving from home - so that Masumi can play it all off as her having run away. Kin isn't really sure what became of her parents after seeing their car ditch her in Destiny City, nor does she care. She'd be perfectly happy if Takeo grew a spine and Masumi's "perfect" life crumbled as a result, but she didn't have long to let that spiteful feeling stir before a cold realization.

A crazy jabroni though she may have been, Masumi (read: Takeo's family fortune) had - up to that point - provided Kin with everything. House, food, bed, even the clothes on her back. For the first time, she was well and truly alone. For a week or two, she tried to be a good girl and make ends meet by the closest things she could find to legitimate means, but it just wasn't working. One winter afternoon three months after arriving in Destiny City, Kin - cold and starving - had been met with true kindness for the first time. A kindly old man had found her, and him asking why she was in that state led to a conversation about family, loss, and humans helping one another. That old man was named Kazato Atsushi, retired pro duelist from a generation since passed, whose wife had recently died. Atsushi's wife had always wanted children, but was infertile, while Atsushi himself had always been apprehensive about adopting, especially as they got old. With his wife dead, Atsushi felt guilty for never fulfilling her wish, and was just on his way to find out more about adoption when he'd conveniently stumbled upon a girl who had been thrown away by her birth family for not letting them oppress her into living a false life. Her spirit reminded him of his wife, and he decided it would be best to let Kin stay with him for a bit, then think more about the adoption thing before coming to a final decision.

In the end, Kin found herself an official member of the Kazato family only two weeks after meeting Atsushi. Once she started eating properly and was able to sleep on a proper bed, her strength started returning, and she'd put it to use by helping the old man with household work his old muscles and frail bones couldn't do. He taught her how to duel, giving her his wife's old deck, and they'd occasionally enter small-scale tag tournaments as a team. It was a humble life with Atsushi, and for the first time since she was an innocent and oblivious child, she was truly happy with her lot in life. Atsushi didn't just let others walk all over him or hide behind some fake life. He was kind, humble, and...very old.

He died of old age three years after adopting Kin. It wasn't a particuarly heart-wrenching parting on Kin's part; it had been painful to watch age claim Atsushi's health and memories, and believed he'd be happy to finally see his wife again. Kin even likes to think he tells her about how Kin reminded him of the late Mrs. Kazato, just like he had with Kin herself. However, although his life insurance and his beefy savings meant Kin would be set for years at least, something was amiss. Eventually, she realized just what it was. Tournaments. Around the time Atsushi's senility started kicking in, the two stopped attending them, and now that she was no longer worrying about the old man, she realized she hadn't been to one in at least a year. Even more curious, Kin found a card she had never seen before on her way home from the funeral.

Her interest piqued, Kin's working out what she wants to do in the long run, but right now is trying to take things one step at a time.

[spoiler=Deck]Cookie Kingdom

Numerix-004: Herbal Remedy
LIGHT - Rank 4 - Plant/Xyz/Effect - 0/0
2 Level 4 monsters
This monster's original ATK and DEF are equal to the difference between your and your opponent's Life Points. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to Tribute 1 monster you control: Increase your Life Points by the ATK or DEF (whichever is greater) of the Tributed monster.

[spoiler=Generics]Candles for the Lost
Continuous Spell
Once per turn, you can place one Candle Counter on this card. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a Monster Card is sent to the Graveyard: You can place 1 Candle Counter on this card. During each Standby Phase, increase your Life Points by 200 times the number of Candle Counters on this card.

Candy Candy Candy
Continuous Spell
When your opponent Special Summons a monster, increase your Life Points by its combined ATK and DEF.

True Feelings
Normal Trap
Activate if a monster is Summoned or attacks. Pay 1000 Life Points to activate 1 of the following effects:
Increase its ATK by 1000.
Decrease its ATK by 1000.

[spoiler=Misc]

Her favorite food is hamburgers. She could eat fifty in a day and still have room for more.
"If it's edible, she'll eat it" isn't entirely true. Kin doesn't like bananas. Any other food is fair game.
Refurnished Atsushi's old room into a small personal gym after he passed. She spends a lot of time there, especially if she's stressed.
Ambient horror has virtually no effect on her, but jumpscares get her pretty good.

Wait Wait WAIT, Garland just starts a duel on the first post!? This is a bit crazy.

Yeah I don't know what I was smoking either.

I think my thought process was something like this:

"Hey, Tinkerer's character wants a duel, and my character is a street duelist. I can have Dokuko duel Kenji on the way to her mission. GENIUS."

I might edit my post to be something a lot less...rushed, I suppose? Probably gonna have my character just sorta chew out Tinkerer's character for bumping into her instead of...that mess.

Yeah I don't know what I was smoking either.

I think my thought process was something like this:

"Hey, Tinkerer's character wants a duel, and my character is a street duelist. I can have Dokuko duel Kenji on the way to her mission. GENIUS."

I might edit my post to be something a lot less...rushed, I suppose? Probably gonna have my character just sorta chew out Tinkerer's character for bumping into her instead of...that mess.

Good idea.  If she happens to be the one Kenji is looking for (or at least knows who it is), he'll lose a good amount of motivation to be a part of the story by facing her too early.

I wouldn't mind dueling, but I would avoid it if it leads to an early exit for my character.  Alternatively, we could figure out a way to interrupt the duel so that Kenji would have "unfinished business" and thus a greater incentive to join the Numerix hunt.

Good idea.  If she happens to be the one Kenji is looking for (or at least knows who it is), he'll lose a good amount of motivation to be a part of the story by facing her too early.

I wouldn't mind dueling, but I would avoid it if it leads to an early exit for my character.  Alternatively, we could figure out a way to interrupt the duel so that Kenji would have "unfinished business" and thus a greater incentive to join the Numerix hunt.

Yeah, I'll just edit my post to have Dokuko just chew Kenji out and not immediately duel him.

While I love your initiative, I have to say: definitely chill out. It's intro posts for now. I just want our ten players introduced and ready to start doing... whatever it is they plan to do to collect Numerix.

Yep. I'll get to editing my post ASAP.

EDIT: IC post is edited now, sorry about that.

Okay, so! Given that we have introduced our characters, here is the basic outline for what everyone's reserved Numerix look like:

Numerix-004: Herbal Remedy

Think what happens when you cross an angel with a flower garden. Wings made of flower petals, a flowing dress of orchid petals specifically, and just this overwhelming radiant beauty.

Numerix-010: Initial Zeppelin

Think an airborne equivalent to Dora and you're on the right track. A huge zeppelin, blotting out the sunlight in its artwork, bristling with machine guns and carrying one absurdly large cannon on its underbelly.

Numerix-020: Keydra

It's a seahorse (specifically, a Leafy Sea Dragon) . . . made of keys. Not much to say.

Numerix-027: Mastery Wizard

Think a cross between Xiangke Magician and Blast Magician in terms of style and you've got it. Flowing red robes with a hat similar to Dark Magician's, with Xiangke's oversized shoulderpads and a similar shield-thing, which it spins when using its negation effect.

Numerix-043: Frozen Construct

A huge, vaguely humanoid robot covered in ice, the metal visible in places, other areas with thick pack ice serving almost as armor, and snowdrifts half-burying its feet in its artwork.

Numerix-061: Vengeful Mage

A twisted, psychopathic-looking sorcerer, with black-and-purple armor that looks like the Chess Archfiends' bodies, a flowing blue cape, Sephiroth's hairdo, and a gnarled-looking staff. Also, gold tribal paint on his face.

Numerix-066: Marchosias

Basically speaking, it's a big, puffed-up, angry wolf with a fire burning through its ribcage. Pretty badass.

Numerix-074: D.D. Dragon

Big purple dragon. Lots of spikes. Bright violet eyes. Very, very epic-looking, and posing in front of a violet sky.

Numerix-076: Dragon of the Idea of Evil

Dragon Satan. I'm dead serious- a red dragon, with four horns, with soulless white eyes, that's posing atop a mountain of skulls over a pit of flames in its artwork.

Numerix-090: Mother Harlot

The monster in question is actually referring to a very regal-looking skeleton in a violet dress, but the attacking portion of the monster is a red hydra, which has a simple gold crown on all nine of its heads.

(Monsters I designed have artwork as I imagined it, and monsters designed by Nyx have their artworks described as best as possible.)

Wow. OK, so we still need our remaining two players to post in the next two days or so, or I'm moving on without. But so far, so good! I'm hyped, are you hyped? Also, feel free to ask me for help if you need help making an excuse to get noticed by other Numerix Hunters.

Likewise, it's on my to-do list. Not high on the to-do list, but it's there and there's no saying it won't get nudged up while I work on other posts.

Archived