Hatchlings/Thousand-Year/Million-Years (Time Wizard archetype)

Shblov

Hi ! After making that retrained Dark Blade archetype, I thought I could make an Archetype based around Time Wizard as well, so here it is ^^

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Clockwork Wizard, Master of Time

LIGHT - Level 2 - Spellcaster/Effect - 500/400

(This card is always treated as "Time Wizard".)

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Deck to your hand. While you control a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or card effects. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can discard 1 card; Add 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Deck to your hand.

Dragon Hatchling

WIND - Level 1 - Dragon/Effect - 300/200

(This cards is always treated as "Baby Dragon".)

If you control no face-up "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot be tributed, or be used as Synchro, Xyz or Link material for a Summon. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Hatchling" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Turtle Hatchling

WATER - Level 1 - Aqua/Effect - 100/400

If you control no face-up "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot be tributed, or be used as Synchro, Xyz or Link material for a Summon. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Graveyard to your hand.

Centipede Hatchling

EARTH - Level 1 - Insect/Effect - 200/300

If you control no face-up "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot be tributed, or be used as Synchro, Xyz or Link material for a Summon. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Time Wizard" from your Deck to your hand.

Phoenix Hatchling

FIRE - Level 1 - Pyro/Effect - 400/100

If you control no face-up "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot be tributed, or be used as Synchro, Xyz or Link material for a Summon. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Time Dilation Zone" from your Deck to your hand.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]Thousand-Year Dragon

WIND - Level 7 - Dragon/Fusion/Effect - 2400/2000

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target up to 3 "Time Magic" Spell cards in your Graveyard; Shuffle them into your Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card. Once per turn, during either player's Damage Step, if this card battles: You can discard 1 Spell Card; this card gains 1000 ATK, during damage calculation only.

Thousand-Year Turtle

WATER - LEVEL 7 - Aqua/Fusion/Effect - 1800/2600

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; Shuffle it in it's owner's deck. Once per turn: You can discard 1 Spell Card; Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls, and if you do, its effects are negated until the end of this turn.

Thousand-Year Centipede

EARTH - Level 7 - Insect/Fusion/Effect - 2000/2400

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target up to 3 "Hatchling" monsters in your Graveyard; Shuffle them into your Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster you control: You can discard 1 Spell Card; Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

Thousand-Year Phoenix

FIRE - Level 7 - Pyro/Fusion/Effect - 2600/1800

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Its ATK becomes 0 until the end of this turn. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can banish 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

Million-Years Dragon

WIND - Level 10 - Dragon/Fusion/Effect - 3000/2500

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. Cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during either player's Damage Step, if a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster you control battles: You can discard 1 Spell card; that card gains 1500 ATK, during damage calculation only. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Thousand-Year" Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, ignoring it's summoning conditions.

Million-Years Turtle

WATER - Level 10 - Aqua/Fusion/Effect - 2000/3500

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. Shuffle these targets in their owner's decks. While this card is in face-up defense position, it cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can discard 1 Spell Card; Change face-up monsters your opponent controls to face-down defense position, up to the number of "Time Magic" Spell cards in your Graveyard (max. 3). If this card is destroyed by card effect and sent to the Graveyard: You can target up to 2 "Time Magic" Spell cards in your Graveyard; Add them to your hand.

Million-Years Centipede

EARTH - Level 10 - Insect/Fusion/Effect - 2500/3000

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. While you control this face-up card, any effect damage you take is reduced to 0. Twice per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster you control: You can discard 1 Spell Card; Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. If this card leaves the field, except by being destroyed: Special Summon it during your next Standby Phase.

Million-Years Phoenix

FIRE - Level 10 - Pyro/Fusion/Effect - 3500/2000

Must be Special Summoned by a "Time Magic" Spell card. Cannot be banished, returned to the hand, or shuffled in it's owner's deck. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can banish 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

[spoiler=S/T cards]Time Magic - Thousand-Year Skip

SPELL - Quick-play Spell

If you control a face-up "Time Wizard": Send 1 face-up "Hatchling" monster you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Thousand-Year" monster from your Extra Deck with the same type and attribute. During the End Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard because it was sent there this turn: You can add 1 "Hatchling" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Time Magic - Million-Years Skip

SPELL - Normal Spell

If you control a face-up "Time Wizard": Send 1 face-up "Hatchling" or "Thousand-Year" monster you control to the Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Million-Years" monster from your Extra Deck with the same type and attribute, then, if the sent monster was a "Hatchling" monster, discard 1 card.

Time Magic - Accelerated Aging

SPELL - Quick-play Spell

If you control a face-up "Time Wizard": Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; Until the end of turn, that monster's effects are negated, also it's original ATK is halved. You can discard this card: Add 1 "Time Wizard" from your Deck to your hand.

Time Magic - Rewind

SPELL - Normal Spell

If you control a face-up "Time Wizard": Target 3 "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monsters in your Graveyard; Shuffle them into your deck, and if you do, draw 1 card.

Time-Dilation Zone

SPELL - Field Spell Card

During your Draw Phase, instead of conducting your Normal Draw, you can add 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn if a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster you control is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can add 1 "Hatchling" monster with the same type and attribute from your Deck to your hand.

Hope you enjoyed ^^

I apologize beforehand for my being rude. Here's the review

Clockwork Wizard, Master of Time

I generally don't like that this card and the baby dragon one are always treated there original versions, just because that means that no one will ever play those two again. But then, I also don't like the idea of people playing time wizard at all, so it's a moot point. As for the effects, I'd say that without looking at the spells beforehand, that the raw searching power is too much.

PSCT

When If this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Time Magic" Spell card from your Deck to your hand. While you control a "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster, your opponent cannot target this card for attacks or card effects. At the end of your turn Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can discard 1 card; Add 1 "Time Magic" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Hatchlings

These are interesting, but I'm worried that it's a lot of free pluses, even if they can't be used for anything but fusions.

PSCT

During your Main Phase, i If you control no face-up "Hatchling", "Thousand-Year" or "Million-Years" monster:, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot be tributed, or be used as Synchro, Xyz, or Link material for a Summon. While this card is face-up on the field, it cannot be Tributed. When If this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can add 1 {whatever it searches} from your Deck to your hand.

Thousand Year and Million Years general fixes

PSCT

This card cannot Must be Special Summoned except from the Extra Deck by the effect of a "Time Magic" Spell card. When If this card is Special Summoned: You can {the rest of the effect}

Thousand Year monsters

I don't have much to say about these. They are rather innocuous on their own, but the insane searching and ease of summons makes them much too powerful.

Dragon/Centipede

The effects of both of these seem kinda underwhelming. I know that there's going to be a lot of spells to use as fodder, but I dislike that as a concept.

Turtle/Phoenix

Both of these are rather overwhelming.

Million years monsters

These are all way too powerful, especially considering how easy it is to summon them.

Dragon

This does way too much and completely negates the downside of using a hatchling to make it.

Turtle

Extremely powerful removal and board control.

Centipede

Free summons that get the effects off and a very very powerful protection effect.

Phoenix

Protection from everything that's not destruction plus a powerful resurrection when destroyed, and it does the utopic thing with much less restrictive summoning conditions.

Spells

The majority of these are broken, and the requirement of controlling time wizard isn't enough to justify that, especially since it also searches them.

Skips

Both of these are extremely easy to use, and million year skip especially doesn't make you pay nearly enough for how powerful the bosses are. The fact that they also search a spell at the end phase is insane.

Aging

This card is way too powerful with the importance of monster effects, and the fact that it searches time wizard means that the deck will never have consistency problems.

Rewind

This card seems weak when compared to modern day cards, and when compared to the rest of the archetype, it's nearly unplayable.

Pause

Is this a joke? This card is broken.

Dilation

Even though this isn't a time magic card, it's still extremely searchable with terraforming and phoenix hatchling. This card has the same problem as the rest of the archetype where it searches for way too much, goes plus extremely easily, and is generally way too powerful.

First of all, thanks for your honesty, I had the feeling I had gone overboard with some of these effects, and it seems I wasn't wrong. (But it's hard to really evaluate the power of a card you can't actually play...)

I corrected all the PCST issues you pointed out, but I think using "when" instead of "if" indicates the effect can miss timing, and isn't actually incorrect ?

I generally nerfed all the effects, and deleted Pause! (now that I see it again, I realize it was really broken :v)

Using "when" and "if" are both technically correct, but konami has been refraining from putting "when" on monster effects in more recent sets. I think they're trying to avoid the whole issue of missing the timing, but there's no hard reason not to, so you can go for it if you feel like it.

Most of the changes you made are pretty subtle, but I think that they do a lot to make the archetype more reasonable without removing all of its power. After the changes, I think that this would be a fun archetype to play that would also be competitive. Nice job.

Archived