OCG Banlist March 2017

Forbidden:

The Tyrant Neptune - I've always been a proponent of hitting power cards such as Towers over the consistency ones, so I like this. This restricts future design, and outside of broken win conditions, doesn't accomplish anything else.

Zoodiac Drident - Good. Cards that go "During either player's turn, if your opponent tries something, they can get funked lmao" are cancer and should be dealt with as such.

Zoodiac Barrage - See: Ratpier

Limited:

Witch of the Black Forrest - Is this even good anymore?

Zoodiac Ratpier - I feel like they could've stopped here and not hit anything else, minus Drident. Putting this at one kills the engine (good) and significantly weakens the deck without outright killing it (also good) but still allows it to be kinda playable.

Blackwing – Gofu the Vague Shadow - uhhhh, what's the context? Links, I guess?

Interrupted Kaiju Slumber - Good. This does too much and comes off as a better Dark Hole.

Semi-Limited:

Elemental HERO Stratos - Free my jabroni Stratos

Armageddon Knight - ok

Fairy Tail – Snow - You rarely need any more than 2 so I don't see the point in this.

Goyo Guardian - ok

Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer - ok

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier - ok

Fire Formation – Tenki - ok

Brain Control - ok

Unlimited:

Artifact Moralltach - ok

Magician of Faith - See: Witch

D/D Lamia - ok

Come to think off it, I would not have minded a Strike hit (though it is not too necessary) and am disappointed Barrier is still untouched (considering Barrier adds yet another crazy advantage of going first).

Duster

Forbidden:

The Tyrant Neptune - I've always been a proponent of hitting power cards such as Towers over the consistency ones, so I like this. This restricts future design, and outside of broken win conditions, doesn't accomplish anything else.

Zoodiac Drident - Good. Cards that go "During either player's turn, if your opponent tries something, they can get funked lmao" are cancer and should be dealt with as such.

Zoodiac Barrage - See: Ratpier

Limited:

Witch of the Black Forrest - Is this even good anymore?

Zoodiac Ratpier - I feel like they could've stopped here and not hit anything else, minus Drident. Putting this at one kills the engine (good) and significantly weakens the deck without outright killing it (also good) but still allows it to be kinda playable.

Blackwing – Gofu the Vague Shadow - uhhhh, what's the context? Links, I guess?

Interrupted Kaiju Slumber - Good. This does too much and comes off as a better Dark Hole.

Semi-Limited:

Elemental HERO Stratos - Free my jabroni Stratos

Armageddon Knight - ok

Fairy Tail – Snow - You rarely need any more than 2 so I don't see the point in this.

Goyo Guardian - ok

Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer - ok

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier - ok

Fire Formation – Tenki - ok

Brain Control - ok

Unlimited:

Artifact Moralltach - ok

Magician of Faith - See: Witch

D/D Lamia - ok

Monk->Witch=>Link

TGU->Sangan=>Link

???

Two things I wanted were obv Construct to 1

and Maxx C to 1

Apparently missunderstood you, though drancia to 1 hardly does anything and leaves the tech engine untouched. Zoo create Setup, neither do they need, nor do they deserve a free raigeki break on legs as an added bonus.

nah, i'd never argue that, i face zoo on a regular basis, so i know how big of an issue rat and barrage are. drancia and rat both at 1 (assuming barrage ban) means that rat can't turn your drancia into a free loop/popper with even half as much ease. as for  barrage, it's almost up there with spellbook of judgement for terribly designed cards. it does nothing but plus, losing it's never an actual loss (barring banishing it) and it starts the entire advantage engine. barrage and rat were the two largest problems in zoo builds. drancia was/is a problem, but barrage and rat were/are the reasons that it is such a prominent power imo. 

but regardless of my thoughts on drancia being hit to zero (i think to 1 would have been suitable considering the other two hits, but i can live with it), rat got what it deserved (and hopefully gets the same when we get our list), and good funking riddance to barrage (and hopefully the same when we get our list).

also, i still support neptune's innocence because summoning neptune in skull servants is a beautifully hilarious thing. and hopefully he's not murdered in the tcg.  i understand why he was hit, but i simply cannot accept it. my tyrant brother must live on.

nah, i'd never argue that, i face zoo on a regular basis, so i know how big of an issue rat and barrage are. drancia and rat both at 1 (assuming barrage ban) means that rat can't turn your drancia into a free loop/popper with even half as much ease. as for  barrage, it's almost up there with spellbook of judgement for terribly designed cards. it does nothing but plus, losing it's never an actual loss (barring banishing it) and it starts the entire advantage engine. barrage and rat were the two largest problems in zoo builds. drancia was/is a problem, but barrage and rat were/are the reasons that it is such a prominent power imo. 

but regardless of my thoughts on drancia being hit to zero (i think to 1 would have been suitable considering the other two hits, but i can live with it), rat got what it deserved (and hopefully gets the same when we get our list), and good funking riddance to barrage (and hopefully the same when we get our list).

also, i still support neptune's innocence because summoning neptune in skull servants is a beautifully hilarious thing. and hopefully he's not murdered in the tcg.  i understand why he was hit, but i simply cannot accept it. my tyrant brother must live on.

Look

Plushfire, Monkey, and Juggler will start filtering back in next list or the one after

Give it a year or two till Zoos come back. 

Tier 0 decks get overkilled OCG side or do you not remember what they did to Chaos Shaddolls and PEPE?

D barrier is chainable

Was talking about Strike. DB is gonna become kinda meh due to the link bottle neck and death of the zoos.

If predictions are right and Infernoids, Kozmo, and Lightsworn are the top decks, you might as well cut it

3 Erratas went to 2

Brio - make sense, it's a good coral dragon alt you're not gonna run multiples of

Goyo - Trash

Brain Control - links

3 Erratas didn't move from 1

Future Fusion - still an amazing card, bolstered by Drancia's death. Dragons/Infernity

Imperial Order - Best Trap in the game right now

Rescue Cat - this one is odd, seems they'd want to bump it to 2 with the new searcher out

Well, I for one like Neptune because of its unusual typing (not many WATER/Reptiles out there), has some support like being searchable by King Feral Imp, and in a way it encouraged creative decks; you got to admit that Tributing Independent Nightingale for Neptune was quite clever. It just so happened that Independent Nightingale had the right effects to break Neptune. For instance, if it had an ATK boosting effect instead of going out of the way by gaining Levels and then gaining ATK and burning for each Level, then Nightingale Neptune wouldn't have been as threatening. Or, if only Nightingale wasn't Summonable by Instant Fusion.

Well, I for one like Neptune because of its unusual typing (not many WATER/Reptiles out there), has some support like being searchable by King Feral Imp, and in a way it encouraged creative decks; you got to admit that Tributing Independent Nightingale for Neptune was quite clever. It just so happened that Independent Nightingale had the right effects to break Neptune. For instance, if it had an ATK boosting effect instead of going out of the way by gaining Levels and then gaining ATK and burning for each Level, then Nightingale Neptune wouldn't have been as threatening. Or, if only Nightingale wasn't Summonable by Instant Fusion.

For the record, I find your solution of emergency errata fine (would best be done by only letting nightingale gain atk/burn if fusion summoned) if not for the fact that I kinda disagree with errata on a fundamental level.

For the record, I find your solution of emergency errata fine (would best be done by only letting nightingale gain atk/burn if fusion summoned) if not for the fact that I kinda disagree with errata on a fundamental level.

Yeah, I understand erratas aren't everyone's cup of tea and the reasons for that, but IMO if Konami already made the errata-nerf of old cards a thing, they may as well resort to erratas on recent cards too for fixing these issues.

Forbidden:

The Tyrant Neptune

A pointless hit based too much on scare than reason. The reason this whole gimmick was possible was cause of how much advantage Zoos can generate without using your NS, as well as providing the resources necessary. Aside from the Zoo hits, this card is completely innocuous on its own & didn't deserve the hit.

Zoodiac Drident

A little unexpected, but it was somewhat forseeable. Turning any Zoo into a quick-eff popper would be pretty annoying to deal with, yet she will still be missed.

Zoodiac Barrage

It's a dumb 1-card combo enabler that just makes the engine go off too hard without losing anything. Having this being countered by Ghost Ogre, MST, or anything similar would make them lose almost nothing and at least gives them a free 1/2 of an R4. Not the most broken archetypal support S/T like Judgment, but for the purpose of killing off Zoos, this is acceptable.

Limited:

Witch of the Black Forrest

Interesting choice to give more favor to links, though it is mentioned that there's an errata for this so hopefully we do see  fair change.

Zoodiac Ratpier

And there's the nail in the coffin. The equivalent of neutering a colony of rats so they don't reproduce anymore, to the point where the best you can do is setup your Avarice/Tigermortar. The hits to Zoos were seen coming from a long way, but it's safe to assume that we didn't see all this specifically happening, yet it was acceptable in the end. R.I.P one of the most skillful yet annoying formats.

Blackwing – Gofu the Vague Shadow

Good preemptive hit to make Links not too easy to make, otherwise it would be a decent staple in some decks. Nothing else to say.

Interrupted Kaiju Slumber

Abusable boardwipe that has secondary use of searching your answers to strong boards without a thought at all. The hit of this weakens the side potential & potency of Kaijus, without needing to deal with each individual one. A hit most of us can be satisfied on.

Semi-Limited:

Elemental HERO Stratos

Bruh my jabroni rising higher than the stratosphere

Armageddon Knight

OCG still healing from Shaddolls, Nekroz, & Dark Synchro eh?

Fairy Tail – Snow

Expected the hit, but it really seems to do nothing but lower the odds of milling her easily. But it's somewhat fair considering Ghost Ash checks Lawnmower well. 

Goyo Guardian

Well what a way to be progressive OCG.

Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer

Fair enough considering Pendulums became more silly to play with under new rules. Guess Pepe's friends won't have a chance returning.

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

Card successfully did nothing and should continue to do nothing. 

Fire Formation – Tenki

Recovery from Zoos, but in general this gave Beast-Warriors one of the best type supports other than Warriors & Dinosaurs.

Brain Control

Pretty surprised actually, even though Mind Control is somewhat stronger, but we'll see how both work in Link format.

Unlimited:

Artifact Moralltach

About time, since people really only run 1 or none compared to Scythe.

Magician of Faith

Another one of those: "It's about damn time" releases. She's far from being too abusable now compared to the past.

D/D Lamia

Poor D/Ds....

Overall a surprisingly yet tolerable & forseen banlist.

Newly Forbidden 

Elemental Triangle of the Zoodiac Beasts

Newly Limited

Tribe Inecting Virus

Zoodiac Beast Molmorat

Maxx "C" 

Brilliant Fusion

Lawnmowing Next Door

Interrupted Kaiju Slumber

Terraforming

Newly Semi-limited:

Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon

Armageddon Knight

Rescue Cat

Elemental Hero Stratos

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

Goyo Guardian 

Nekroz of Brionac

Brain Control

Future Fusion

Dragon's Ravine

Newly Unlimited:

Artifact Moralltach 

Atlantean Dragoons

Reborn Tengu

Dandylion

Magician of Faith

Monster Gate

Triange - Putting down Zoos in accordance with the pepe/nekroz trend. Can pop cards other than itself. Massively boosts the ceiling. Make the deck go even without rat plays

TIV - Hard to Search. Need to normal. Normally a 141 outside of a few decks like Mermail

Molmerat - Wavering Eyes's limit shows Konami is more than willing to make a portion of a card's effect dead. You can still use it as a foolish, but given links, crippling an blank advantage generator isn't the worse idea. 

Maxx "C" - In a format w/ links and laddering, this card will go from being a hard choice to a pretty clear +2/3 in draws regularly. People are running cards in their main to counter this hand trap, that's a pretty good indication when a card has become a little too strong

Brifu+Lawnmowing - millers that are just too open ended. There's no real cost or time delay. Yes you can left arm them...but at that point you're -2 and it offsets Brifu at least. With links onset, these two cards offer decks that don't need to struggle through the link bottleneck a massive handicap

Slumber - It's a dark hole that simplifies the game state to an easy win for the player that uses it. OTK with Zoos. And next turn you get the best form of removal. Quite honestly in every deck rinnow

Terraforming - Festival exists now, and festival is more deck dedication. Given advent of +1 FS all over, it's come to a situation where Terra was in the same spot as ROTA when the latter got limited

REDMD - Card is a little slow and needs time to build up adv. Gustav Max memes died in 2012. Move with caution given that it can facilitate easier links

AGK - Shadow Mist and Monk limit killed the deck that caused this limit (DDT & Star Dolls)

Rescue Cat - Inconsistent and inconsequential at 1, in line with the standard of power @ higher

Stratos - good boost to heros, normal summon oriented, doesn't directly facilitate Law

Nekroz of Brionac - affords a little consistency. Less so than Prep of Rites. Doesn't help Djinn as much as a cycle bump would. Doesn't lock down as much as Unicore to 2. And doesn't facilitate Trish as well as a Shuritt to 2 move would

Brionac - sees play, but not so much that people are going to max out on it if it moves up. It's an alternative to coral

Goyo - super ass

Brain Control - Inferior Mind Control in most cases, helps links in every other case

Future Fusion - Slower version of what BriFu and Lawnmowing should do. Requires dedication to protect it, and space in the extra to use it

Ravine - Like REDMD really, Rulers are still banned, Dux requires a normal even if it can make Crystal, and Brave-Felgrand is currently as good as Ravine plays get. Even BEWD didn't really run this card

Moral - Scythe is better, not being run at 2

Dragoons - cautious move given Mermails don't need the extra much, and TIV, but Mermails haven't been relevant for some time now. 

Dandy+Tengu - buy links, also they're not what they were in 2010

MoF - ass dawg

Monster Gate - milling that has a cost to meet, trade off for the hits to Lawnmowing and Brifu

I didn't do too terribly 

Lawnmowing will get hit next list given that LS + Infernoids are gonna be some of the best decks this format

Lawnmowing will get hit next list given that LS + Infernoids are gonna be some of the best decks this format

both of which will still be fairly formidable next format as well, even barring lawnmowing, since links will soon be a thing. 

Archived