Draconus's AGM Legacy Support Thread! (543 total cards!)

Draconus297

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to comment on Glad Beasts, as I have recently picked them up.

Antoninius is finally something to go into with Secutor. The ATK boost is nice, I guess, but really, the lack of protection and the fact that it takes a while to ramp up into something decent makes it too slow to be useful in the fast Glad Beasts. Caligula...is fantastic. I love it. Another Summon from the Deck for the archetype, and something to run into. You can almost always go into Secutor, but your opponent's choice grants you extra versatility just in case, and balances out utter freedom for you with the same for your opponent. Aurelius is a bit confusing in regards to its main effect, with a large collection of it's meaning I'm not quite sure what which part of the effect is referring to, but the protection is a major help for the archetype, which lacks it otherwise. The Summon from the GY is a neat trick. I wonder how Valite's main effect works, as since the monster is revealed but not turned face-up in the deck, it's hard to tell if that exact copy is still Summonable or not. That, and where does it go in the Deck? Is your Deck shuffled? Regardless, the on-Fusion effect is completely wonderful, especially with the new support.

Respect is an easy means of grabbing out a Fusion, which is very helpful again in regards to Glad Beast's intended speed. More protection is nice too. Honor grants even more swarming from the hand during the BP, and encourages destruction rather than simple ramming. It also enables such destruction, building up the theme properly, and grants a massive, but fair, OPD hit, which I think is cool. Perhaps a 2-off rather than a 3-off, but whatever. Emblem is a finally good Equip Spell, creating a field when you have none for a simple cost, and the protection from battle encourages the ramming side of things again.

Really like this support. Some of the monsters are a bit iffy, but I think you did well.

The thing is that Antoninius can work with ANY Gladiator Beast, including the Fusions. If Gyzarus gets itself shuffled, Antoninius becomes a 3100 beater. If you FUSION SUMMON, Antoninius gains the combined ATK of both Materials (meaning that if you shuffle 1K Darius and 1600 Bestiari, Antoninius gains 2600 ATK). It's meant to be a finishing tool, not a primary boss.

Long story short about Aurelius:

1. Aurelius gets Summoned

2. Target any GB on the field

3. That target gains ATK equal to half its original ATK (so, if you target Gyzarus, it becomes 3600) for the rest of the turn.

4. The target gains targeting immunity for the rest of the turn.

Valite basically lets you pick any GB from your Deck. Then, you are mandated to Summon it at the start of your next Standby Phase. If you can't, though (if your opponent milled it, if you accidentally drew into it, etc), you have to show your opponent your entire Deck to confirm, and take 1000 damage. Your Deck is intended to be shuffled, but I didn't know where to stick that particular line in the text.

I just tried to give them a way to do what they do best, and a final boss that can finish off a limping opponent (which they currently struggle with).

Valite basically lets you pick any GB from your Deck. Then, you are mandated to Summon it at the start of your next Standby Phase. If you can't, though (if your opponent milled it, if you accidentally drew into it, etc), you have to show your opponent your entire Deck to confirm, and take 1000 damage. Your Deck is intended to be shuffled, but I didn't know where to stick that particular line in the text.

What if I pick a card I have 3 copies in my deck of? Do all 3 copies have to be milled before I take damage?

I didn't want to give Prediction Princess any new standard monsters, because they already had a good, concise little engine to get going. Really, what they needed was the ability to get their field presence faster, and better protect their board in progress. So, naturally I gave them what I thought they needed- a secondary boss that kept their run condition going, and a decent option for obtaining resources.

I actually had Spell and maybe Trap Cards in mind instead. I agree that it doesn't really need any new standard monsters. However, I felt at least another Spell/Trap Card was in order.

Anywho:

Alien:

Alien Trilobite is okay, but I'd personally still use Ammonite, given how it can Special Summon. Not to say this card can't, but Ammonite's is a little faster. Cosmic Overseer Gek'galien is kind of crazy. But given the actual power and speed of the existing archetype, I'd say it balances out. The last effect is cute, too. Invasion Fleet "A" is okay. You can get away with its Special Summon effect being a regular "once per turn" given the state of the real life archetype. Even with the other support, it wouldn't be much abuse (if any).

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized I never responded to that review.

I'd thought about S/T as well, but everything I could think of was either situational or existed generically already.

The problem with Trilobite is that, if your opponent controls enough monsters (3), it can infinitely revive itself for Synchro plays as long as you can keep feeding it non-Tuner Aliens/stolen enemy monsters to Synchro with. With the proper setup, it is utterly disgusting, so it's really an alternative to Ammonite for builds that employ more of a Counter strategy.

Neat sidenote: Gek'galien has permanent attack drainage, and any monster that has an A-Counter on it that was placed there by Gek'galien feels the drain even if Gek'galien isn't on the board anymore, thanks to how its effect is worded.

Invasion Fleet mostly has the HOPT to prevent abuse with Trilobite, Overlord, and Kid.

Jinx Zone: Helps take advantage of Terraforming. But its awesome how you can use it with other cards like Snipe Hunter. Second effect helps bring out the archetype members. And the last effect is cute.

Vampire Overlord, Emperor of the Night: More interesting than the current Xyz the archetype has. Only point that one really has over this one is revival.

Vampire Nightshade: Helps make better use of the archetypes gimmick more than any of the already existing cards.

Vampire Witch: Something the archetype desperately needs, as they can typically only cough up one member.

Vampire Thrall: It's pretty cool. Helps you bring out more members while giving your opponent a punching bag.

Vampire Lifeblood: Again making use of their gimmick, as your opponent typically wouldn't care if something was sent.

Not sure why they're all at 0 DEF though. They do have members with higher DEF. You could argue Recurring Nightmare, but in regards to our club, we don't have that card.

Overlord has 0 DEF because it's a 2700 ATK 2-mat R5 that gives you advantage off of battle damage (getting 3200 when Kingdom is on board makes it even spookier), Nightshade does to fit thematically with Duke and Shadow, Witch I just kinda shrugged and gave it lower DEF because it had higher ATK than Lady or Sorcerer (the other 4s), and Thrall is a Hydra's Egg target (remember, any monster with 1000/0 stats can be searched en masse in the AGM). I didn't even notice the trend until it was pointed out.

Thanks!

Draconus, I was looking at the new "Carnimal" card and first off, I just want to say that I have a weird feeling of pride that other people want to make new cards for one of my archetypes. Secondly, I want to say, that Festa is a really good spell for them. Provides revival summoning upon the gimmick of the deck itself, and also allows me to get more cards into my hand by using my boss's effects or pounding my opponent's monsters ibto submission. It is a very consistant card, and I would run a good 2-3 in my deck.

Well, it's part of what I do running a support thread. I think about what an archetype needs, and find a way to provide it sanely.

Carnimal basically seemed competent, but it was just a little inconsistent and unable to keep momentum. I made a card that could serve both purposes.

Any other archetypes you know well enough to try to analyze my support for?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize quite how much support you had until now. Wow.

I like how Barricade can easily tag out of your GY for consistency's sake, so that it doesn't get shuffled into the Deck with the rest of the monsters. Great idea. Shame most of the Gold Spear monsters send cards from the Deck to the GY as a cost, BUT I am actually reposting them shortly and making it an effect, so leave it as it is. Also, Barricade Counter's slight stat boost actually fits with the idea of barricading along with being useful. Hooray. Last effect should probably read "you can remove 2 Barricade Counters from this card instead.", but other than me thinking it should perhaps remove 3 due to how many counters it can stack up, pretty nifty to have protection as well.

Thanks! I actually have 432 cards logged in this thread, all for plugging holes in archetypes that wanted or needed a given card or set of them. In some cases, I gave ways for an archetype to work without support; in others, I gave ways to play well with others, or made a given disparate set of cards that didn't work well together cohesion in goal. In a lot of cases, all I really had to do was give a couple of things that made their boss/win condition more accessible, or give them a boss to act as an end goal.

Barricade was designed as Realm of Light for Gold Spears but not aggressively awful, fixing just about all the mistakes of that card and adding in the fun tag-to-field effect. I'm glad you like it!

was gonna delay this another week but i got inspired today so hope you enjoy having 2000 words

WORMS: Glad to see the W Nebula return for an actual theme! Impact Site should probably reveal to be on the safe side in regards to rulings and such, but anywho, it has speed and searching. Protection, particularly for how reliant Worms are on their face-down monsters, is also extremely wanted, and such genericness allows it to be used in many other FLIP Decks that have a slot open for a Field Spell. For Invasion, I get Worms are weak, but an immediate +1 searcher that grants so many other benefits if left face-up on the field seems like a bit much, also considering you have so much other support here. Even though I love the last two effects, I would suggest just turning the first effect into a +0, i.e. search for one of the current targets. Fusion is a rather unique and functional means of summoning the boss(es), so no complaints there. Tactics has rather weird phrasing, but I can't really think of other ways of doing what you're trying to accomplish, but revival is great. Shame the last effect has to be SS1, but it is rather strong anyway. Return is your Book of Life for the archetype, which I guess fits into the archetype thematically, but I suggest the last effect activate not while the monster is being Summoned, because...well, I'm not sure how the timing of an effect that activated would work in that weird point while the monster is being Summoned but before Tributing has occurred. Might I suggest: "You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; this turn, you can Tribute that monster for a Tribute Summon as if you controlled it, also it can be treated as the entire requirement for that Tribute Summon." Regardless, very helpful. Assistance...is beautiful. I have no other words to describe what you've done here. Swarming, revitalization of flip monsters and even the ones that you Normal Summon? Wow.

Let's go through your monsters. I can understand why you wanted to go with 01 rather than One, but I would've felt the latter felt better thematically. Anywho, first doesn't need your Fusion, so pretty good in that regard. I think its stats are a bit much though, when combined with said Summoning condition AND the massive ATK boost. I don't know why the last effect can use monsters from your opponent's GY, as that's only helpful in the mirror match, so I don't think it should be there. I think your FLIP effect monsters should have optional flipping fd effects, as all of them are actually pretty alright in terms of balance. Also interesting to see FLIP Fusions, so that's pretty cool. My only problem is the sheer one-hit power of 04, considering its non-targeting removal and it immediately benefits from said removal. A bit too much, all in all. But yeah, the rest are fine. Powerful Worm support.

LUNALIGHTS: Ermine...it's helpful, no doubt about that. I just feel it's all too much in one card. The lack of any form of HOPT is one thing, but it's the equivalent of Fluffal Penguin for Lunalights. But Penguin does exist, and if Konami has funked up YGO, why can't we? Guess that is just left up to preference then. Dancer almost completely overshadows Cat Dancer, and does in terms of a ladder, but I guess Cat is still fine because it can be a battle wall? Again, just personal preference, but replacement is always bad in my book. But the battle damage and ATK boost is flavourful, and I think it does produce a good card...and it would be difficult to make a Fusion anyway. Perhaps a Summon restriction on its battle damage effect? Dunno if the Fusion's effect make runnable, considering how unsearchable it is. However, if you sacrifice consistency, Belongings could combo well with the actual Polymerization, which I am glad you haven't replaced. Also, Wolf interactions! Deflection Dance has the original Trap variant to deal with, and you have to compare the fact that either Lunalights set up an OTK field, or just sets a few cards and pass. Deflection deals with an almost OTK field, but I think the search 2 provided by the other one, even with its requirement on destruction, is a bit more useful. I would probably run both, though.

MELODIOUS: SSing from the hand in Melodious is great, but Liszta seems like a purely better card than Shopina. SSing Melodious is automatically great, but it has other effects AND doesn't have any Summoning restrictions. I don't really know what to suggest there, other than reworking it. Again, not too strong, but just Konami powercreep at its finest. Rondo...should have HOPT. I mean, immediately SSing and then using its search effect in response to its on Summon effect basically grants you a SS from Deck, which is a pretty neat combo, but that means you can go through 3 copies of this card if you open 1st Movement Solo or a similar card. Fusion was made before Ostinato, which would grant it extenuating circumstances if the latter was better, but...Fusion is better, at least with the last effect. Triple Belongings in order to grant a second turn massive Spam and potential +2. I mean, the last effect is more powerful than a Normal Spell effect that would have HOPT on activation. 

ALIEN: Trilobite doesn't entirely replace Ammonite, so hooray, but actual helpful A-Counter effects! Revival and distribution! Good card, but dunno why it's not just Level 2. That new Alien Quick-Play spell? Gek should target for its S/T destruction...as that's a lot of effects on one monster. Should probably put in all of the ATK loss in regards to A-Counters in brackets, as that's a property of A-Counters, rather than the monster. (yeah, OCG changes and all that, hooray) Glad to finally see a Field Spell for the archetype, and Invasion satisfies almost all aspects of it. My only complaint here is that...I'm not really feeling the Alien other than in the A-Counters. The other monsters had their own little quirks, but this card's last effect, the only one with a semblance of uniqueness, doesn't tie into Aliens too well, I think. But, then again, they also struggle with finding their own theme, only seen in later cards, so it can slide.

CHEMISTRY DINOSAURS: Don't know what Anthrageddon is based off, but that's almost certainly due to my lack of knowledge. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the...series? I guess? But it does fit with Carbonageddon, which was somewhat lacking in that area too and seems to be the intention, so good to see this dual combo. I would have it require 2, though, considering how much effort you would have to put in order to actually get 3 Carbons banished, and basically no amount would be worth that. It is a killer in the mirror match, or even in Red-Eyes/Blue-Eyes, but I can't really complain...as no real archetype/support. Both of your Fusions give me the impression that you're missing a card called Isotize, which I can't find even through the rest of the spoilers (CTRL+F through the page source). Will give them another quick look once you've added it, as I can't really comment on how easy they are to get out, and so it's difficult to judge how good their effects really are. Regardless, they are very flavourful, and am really keen to see how Isotize works.

RAIDRAPTOR: NO RUM SUPPORT THIS IS TERRIBLE ALL THE CARDS SUCK. I think the first card could just say "by your opponent or their card or effect" without mucking about with other brackets. Phantom providing actual S/T searching tho along with swarming; just what they needed. Shadow Strix is very interesting, getting around the "Xyz Monster" attached bit of a card, allowing you to setup your GY for Soul Shave or something similar while still granting your RUMd monster's effects. It's own RUMing effect is very cool, but should specify "if it is still face-up on the field", just to satisfy my inner OCG nerd. Last effect is bit too generic for my tastes. Limit yourself to Winged Beast Summons similar to the SSing from the hand the other cards provide? Ascent is for the memes and I love it, and it isn't even too restrictive to prevent it being played occasionally. Your limit outside of the MP2 is really cool, as it allows your opponent to play around it, which seals the deal for it being a cool, yet not broken card. Also, that strikethrough earlier comes into play, because ACTUAL RUM SUPPORT AND ITS SEMI-DECENT. I mean, again, card is memey, so it's not something easy to splash, but its fairness would allow you to occasionally search your RUM now and then. Hooray. Resistance, on the other hand, is disappointing. Main actual counter effect is super meh, and I dunno if the effect in the GY would be SS3 or not (GY effects for Quick-Plays are automatically SS1, for example), but said effect is MORE helpful than its activating effect. Swap them around imo. Also, the last effect...activates in response to the effect that adds a card, meaning the card hasn't been added yet, but when this card resolves, your opponent discards the card before they can add it? I am confusion.

FRIGHTFUR BOIS: Can you not make a purely better Wolf in the form of Hydra kthx. Stats are better, multi-attacking is better, requirements are more generic, and it has another massive effect. Idea: Make it require another Frightfur monster and any other Edge Imps/Fluffals (one of each min. because Edge Imps need love Sheep already to deal with, which would get over the UTL or whatnot, this card is currently 2stronk. Rat...is again I think a bit too strong. How about this for the first effect "Your opponent banishes cards from their GY and/or sends cards they control to the GY equal to the number of cards used for this cards Fusion Summon." This grants your opponent more freedom, as this card is already teetering on becoming a better Tiger. Piercing is a great plus, and something Frightfurs did need, so good job there. Backup again...far too much for one card. I've been playing Frightfurs again recently, in my quest to play every Fusion archetypal deck, and they definitely do not need this amount of power and support. They got a +1 that searchers it's searcher for crying out loud. Speed is great and all, but none of these are things the archetype needs. Wants, sure, as every set wants to become Tier 0, but...yeah. Feasting Fusion is again, not something they need, considering they have two means of fusing on their own without Polymerization. It just feels like overkill at this point.

RED-EYES: Equip Support in form of Wyvern is great, as I have always had a soft spot for the new-ish old-ish Equip Red-Eyes Konami has going on. Also, retrains. However, weird OPT clause isn't needed; first effect can just have basic OPT, and second effect as well. It's not like you can loop spam these cards terribly. Destruction effect on Raider doesn't have any form of OPT clause, and should probably be removed anyway, because as I've seen a lot here, A LOT of effects on this bad boy. Archfiend Queen ties into Lightning, I guess, but is all in all a good card. That continuous ATK gain reminds me of Flare Metal's burn, and it really does seem to be a fun card to mess around with. Dunno why Megacyber has a different Normal Monster clause to Queen, probably due to where their effects activate, but it still seems a little off. Effect is a little convoluted, and can perhaps be split into "When this card is Summoned" for the milling, considering your colon placement implies it Summoning itself is a cost to activate. Legendark is an interesting retrain, but I don't see the call for it in the Deck while we have the original Red-Eyes B. Dragon and that other Gemini, even with its own name substitution. Legendark Metal, on the other hand, is not quite a retrain, but a different take on Darkness Metal, and I do like it. SSing is a bit easy, but w/e...it still works. I think the searching from the GY should only do one AND target, as you are not only plussing from your recycling of your monsters (Dragon's Mirror and the like), but from your own monster's effect and battle damage, AND this happens during the battle phase, granting you even more damage for OTK power.

Small paragraph for the S/T, but I think having 3 effects with no addition cost to them on each card is far too much. Just have them Tribute a monster or discard or something for each additional effect, as not only do you get to choose what effect you activate, but you can choose whatever combination of them you want. It's not the type of effect I like on cards without good reason, and placing it on an archetypal card rather than Kunai & Chain just adds to the drama.

For a few bits of correction- anything I don't address, I generally agree with:

I just wanted Gek'galien to feel like a worthy upgrade over Gol'gar, given that you can ladder into it directly using Trilobite and Gol'gar (one of two reasons why Trilobite is a Level 3 that can be treated as Level 2- the other being potential usage as R3 Xyz fodder, given the fact that Dog exists).

Invasion Fleet "A" is like a lot of Alien cards- it's hard to decipher how it all works together until it does. On top of the A-Counter spreading, you can make up for the relatively low spam capacity of vanilla Aliens, and using your opponent's stolen monsters as fodder to revive your own is definitely an Alien thing to do.

Isotize is actually in the Generics thread, Melon designed it just before his huge wave of Chemistry Dinosaur support. Anthraceddon is based on Anthracite, the hardest, purest, and shiniest form of coal before you hit diamond levels of pressure and heat.

The funny thing about Ascent is the way it works with Shadow Strix. Basically, let's say you have a Revolution Falcon out with an attached Shadow Strix, and Skip Force it up to Satellite Cannon Falcon. Right before the Battle Phase ends, you use RUM - RR Ascent to negate the effects of the SCF that already battled, and attach the Force Strix and Blade Burner that are absolutely positively in your Graveyard to your SCF. If your opponent can't remove SCF before the End Phase, you go up 4 Ranks, slamming a Final Fortress with five Materials on board. It's stupid.

Hydra does not, cannot replace Wolf. Hell, it can't even effectively replace Sabre-Tooth. It requires Frightfurs as Material, not Fluffals, meaning that you need to have already had the resources necessary to Fusion Summon (or run Stupid Edge Imp), then do it again to get out Hydra at all, and even then it only has 1 attack and 2400 ATK, and if it revives something with its on-battle-destruction effect it's only treated as having been made with basic Materials (one Tiger/Sabre-Tooth pop, one swing with Wolf, one banish with Rat). You need to invest multiple Fusions into a single Hydra for it to matter worth anything, meaning that it'll probably either be either useless or a necessary overkill to fish off an opponent that survived an OTK somehow.

Rat is a non-targeting non-destroying Tiger with the trade-off that they can opt out of losing their field presence by letting you munch on their Graveyard instead, or split between two foci by removing just enough nonsense from their Graveyard that you can't remove enough of their board to win with a 1900 stick. Say, for example, you used 4 Fluffals. Rat has 4 potential removals, and your opponent can choose to banish 1 card from their Graveyard up to the maximum amount of field removal you would get (4 cards). If your opponent banished two cards from their Graveyard, you get two removals instead of four- which, in the end, means that late in the game your opponent can completely opt out of losing any cards on board whatsoever by just banishing enough stuff they don't need from the Graveyard.

Axe Raider pops a card when it gets equipped with something. You really want to put an OPT on the back of a removal effect that triggers off of getting equipped with something?

I was only trying to compensate for the slow nature of Normal Traps, so I made the effects conditional and based off of the opponent while giving a wide array of possibilities so that activating the card is more a question on timing for the best results rather than any actual limitation on when it can be used. A cost would only make the cards potentially useless if you're not going for maximum value at first activation.

Archived