[MtG] Amonkhet Spoiler (?)

Delibirb

Take this with a grain of salt. Supposedly opened in an English MM3 pack.

[spoiler=Large foreign image]17359399_10212575456611745_2710163714694

Dusk
2WW
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with power 3 or greater

Dawn
3WW
Sorcery
Consequence - cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.
Return all creatures with power less than or equal to 2 from your graveyard to your hand.

(Note: The collectors number says 210/269, but there are supposed to be only 264 cards in Amonkhet. Whether this confirms fakeness or not is difficult to tell; surely such a mistake would be easy to catch on a fake card?)

Assuming legitimacy, the formatting is a little bit annoying but the application is pretty neat, not to mention the flavor. I'm curious to see what other Consequence/Aftermath cards may be more interesting than this.

Also, this is essentially a 4CMC wrath that white weenie decks are going to jump all over.

EDIT: The confirmed Bolas Full Art Basics also say xxx/269, so these were likely added to the set number, but the number on the website was neglected.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't White cards normally the first cards in a set, by edition number? Now, it's possible that a special formatted card might be placed later in the set, the way multi-colored and lands are, but that's really my only doubt of its legitimacy. I'm not really that well-versed when it comes to how edition numbers work in tandem with specially formatted cards. I'm thinking now of the Fuse mechanic, but those were usually two different colors, so they'd probably classify as multi-colored, whereas this is a card where both "sides" are the same color.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't White cards normally the first cards in a set, by edition number? Now, it's possible that a special formatted card might be placed later in the set, the way multi-colored and lands are, but that's really my only doubt of its legitimacy. I'm not really that well-versed when it comes to how edition numbers work in tandem with specially formatted cards. I'm thinking now of the Fuse mechanic, but those were usually two different colors, so they'd probably classify as multi-colored, whereas this is a card where both "sides" are the same color.

Double-faced cards were placed at the end, iirc, it would only make sense for this to be similar.

Which means there will likely be a lot of these.

Double-faced cards were placed at the end, iirc, it would only make sense for this to be similar.

In that case, this is probably legit. It seems like a formatting that might be used for a different style of double faced card, the mechanic itself seems solid, the flavor of the card seems legit, etc. If anything, this is probably one of the "first" of those cards in the set, since it's White.

I'm definitely interested on seeing if there are more of these and what sort of things they might do.

brah. this sheet is up on 4chan.

i would link but i don't know how to get a to specific post.. their formatting is weird.. you can see a post and it's replies without needing a link to the post...

anyway

seems fake. if it's real, the formatting is gross asf.

You realize split cards have been a thing almost as long as you have, right? This is formatted similarly, but obviously has to have a difference so that it wouldn't literally just be a split card. And I think it looks great.

Only problem is for lefties. I sleeve split cards upside-down, and that isn't really an option for this.

No they were not. Docent of Perfection is in the right spot given his name.

Split cards in Dragon's Maze and Apocalypse were placed at the end. However the 3 in Planar Chaos are placed with the other Red cards when you look by card number. This suggests split cards are counted as single or multi-color based on the two halves. This is just white so given this I would expect this to be with the other white cards.

No they were not. Docent of Perfection is in the right spot given his name.

Split cards in Dragon's Maze and Apocalypse were placed at the end. However the 3 in Planar Chaos are placed with the other Red cards when you look by card number. This suggests split cards are counted as single or multi-color based on the two halves. This is just white so given this I would expect this to be with the other white cards.

It isn't out of the question they've made an exception for these, but its certainly a point of skepticism.

No they were not. Docent of Perfection is in the right spot given his name.Split cards in Dragon's Maze and Apocalypse were placed at the end. However the 3 in Planar Chaos are placed with the other Red cards when you look by card number. This suggests split cards are counted as single or multi-color based on the two halves. This is just white so given this I would expect this to be with the other white cards.

The cards in planar chaos may not have been at the end because there were so few of them.

I honestly just feel that if it were fake, this isn't a mistake that would be made. We are better off analyzing print techniques (which is difficult because funk JPEGS).

The cards in planar chaos may not have been at the end because there were so few of them.

I honestly just feel that if it were fake, this isn't a mistake that would be made. We are better off analyzing print techniques (which is difficult because funk JPEGS).

I agree that this is a really stupid mistake to make if this is fake. A number like 7 or so would be far more believable. That being said, I don't really see a reason to not group split cards with their other colors.

It's also possible that some of these cards MIGHT be dual colored, and this is just one that is double White, so they are organized near the end of the set, maybe for the sake of easier organization? I dunno what the logic is. How long HAS MtG been using edition numbers for sets, anyway? I was kind of out of the loop for the game for a couple years, and got back into it right around Eldritch Moon (a bunch of my older cards are from Theros, I think, so that should give an idea of how long it's been), and I only recently realized that I didn't have to memorize set icons to determine what was Standard, when the edition number would tell me what set it was from. Since I've never noticed the edition number thing previously, I wonder how long that's been a thing.

But yeah...I personally am leaning towards this card being legit because the deviation in terms of edition number pattern seems like too obvious a "flaw" to not have been deliberate.

It's also possible that some of these cards MIGHT be dual colored, and this is just one that is double White, so they are organized near the end of the set, maybe for the sake of easier organization? I dunno what the logic is. How long HAS MtG been using edition numbers for sets, anyway? I was kind of out of the loop for the game for a couple years, and got back into it right around Eldritch Moon (a bunch of my older cards are from Theros, I think, so that should give an idea of how long it's been), and I only recently realized that I didn't have to memorize set icons to determine what was Standard, when the edition number would tell me what set it was from. Since I've never noticed the edition number thing previously, I wonder how long that's been a thing.

But yeah...I personally am leaning towards this card being legit because the deviation in terms of edition number pattern seems like too obvious a "flaw" to not have been deliberate.

We started getting collector number on cards starting with Exodus. So for nearly 20 years actually. They've gotten better with all the legal stuff they put at the bottom being a lot easier to see.

Dusk is a trashy Wrath. Dawn might be good in Aristocracy or decks with a bunch of Weenies that aren't named Death and Taxes (if your guys are actually dying constantly with DxT you're doing something wrong). Overall, the mechanic is pretty exciting to see, although it feels like a weird abortion of Flashback combined with dual cards, the only relevant ones of which I can name are Fire // Ice and Wear // Tear.

Ok, lets pretend for a second this is real: why is Dusk, a naturally occuring phenomenon, a consequence? By phrasing it as such, it seems as though the setting of the sun is the result of a misdeed by someone or something.. and without some serious backstory, i doubt wizards would throw that kinda idea just on a card, they do things for a reason, most of the time (even if those reasons arent agreed with by some). And then there's the fact that the consequence is a boon.. why would reward someone for a misdeed?

Ok, lets pretend for a second this is real: why is Dusk, a naturally occuring phenomenon, a consequence? By phrasing it as such, it seems as though the setting of the sun is the result of a misdeed by someone or something.. and without some serious backstory, i doubt wizards would throw that kinda idea just on a card, they do things for a reason, most of the time (even if those reasons arent agreed with by some). And then there's the fact that the consequence is a boon.. why would reward someone for a misdeed?

A: Consequence doesn't necessarily have to be negative; it can simply mean what comes as a result of something. A consequence, or effect, of the sun rising is that it must also set.

B: There is some speculation that it could be translated as aftermath, rather than consequence.

A: Consequence doesn't necessarily have to be negative; it can simply mean what comes as a result of something. A consequence, or effect, of the sun rising is that it must also set.

B: There is some speculation that it could be translated as aftermath, rather than consequence.

A) 'Consequence' usually has the negative connotation i described.

B) the aftermath of something usually has the connotation of some horrible accident/natural disaster, so that really doesnt fit either. Wizards is smart enough to consider the connotation of the words they use.

A) 'Consequence' usually has the negative connotation i described.

B) the aftermath of something usually has the connotation of some horrible accident/natural disaster, so that really doesnt fit either. Wizards is smart enough to consider the connotation of the words they use.

The connotation being often negative is irrelevant. It does not necessarily mean the consequence is negative. It may just be the most appropriate word for the ability given the rest of the consequence cards.

Well, the spells are actually the other way around. Dusk is the destructive "main" spell, Dawn is the "Consequence/Aftermath" spell.

In terms of potential flavor...consider the phrase about how "the night is darkest before the dawn". It's a phrase about finding hope even in bad or dire situations.

So at Dusk, all of the strong creatures are wiped out. It seems dark and bleak in such a situation. But by holding out hope, the sun rises at dawn and shines again, and brings the weaker, plentiful creatures back to you. There's still a fighting chance in the aftermath of the destruction.

Now, I might be stretching a little bit. I'm not an expert when it comes to flavor, least of all with Magic, but I can see what MIGHT be flavor hidden behind the card names, and the corresponding effects.

Well, the spells are actually the other way around. Dusk is the destructive "main" spell, Dawn is the "Consequence/Aftermath" spell.

In terms of potential flavor...consider the phrase about how "the night is darkest before the dawn". It's a phrase about finding hope even in bad or dire situations.

So at Dusk, all of the strong creatures are wiped out. It seems dark and bleak in such a situation. But by holding out hope, the sun rises at dawn and shines again, and brings the weaker, plentiful creatures back to you. There's still a fighting chance in the aftermath of the destruction.

Now, I might be stretching a little bit. I'm not an expert when it comes to flavor, least of all with Magic, but I can see what MIGHT be flavor hidden behind the card names, and the corresponding effects.

whoops. swapped the names in my head.

edit: still if you don't think this formatting isn't ugly, please let me take whatever you're on in order to think that.

whoops. swapped the names in my head.

edit: still if you don't think this formatting isn't ugly, please let me take whatever you're on in order to think that.

Honestly, I don't really like how ANY double faced/split cards look. In order to (clearly) read cards like Breaking/Entering, you have to hold the card sideways. Cards that have two faces (where you turn the card upside down) is weird, because your opponent can clearly see/read the non-active face, and this card's formatting is...a bit weird, but it bothers me LESS than the other examples, because if you're holding the card in your hand, you can read the main effect easily enough, and the Graveyard effect is sideways, so you may have to rotate your Graveyard slightly, but since it's not in your hand or on the battlefield, it's a bit less obnoxious to do so.

Transform cards are the only ones that don't bug me too much other than it being slightly annoying to flip them around if the cards are sleeved, but then again, I've never tried using a Deck filled with them, usually only 1 or 2 Transform cards per Deck. Don't want to talk about Meld.

Honestly, I don't really like how ANY double faced/split cards look. In order to (clearly) read cards like Breaking/Entering, you have to hold the card sideways. Cards that have two faces (where you turn the card upside down) is weird, because your opponent can clearly see/read the non-active face, and this card's formatting is...a bit weird, but it bothers me LESS than the other examples, because if you're holding the card in your hand, you can read the main effect easily enough, and the Graveyard effect is sideways, so you may have to rotate your Graveyard slightly, but since it's not in your hand or on the battlefield, it's a bit less obnoxious to do so.

Transform cards are the only ones that don't bug me too much other than it being slightly annoying to flip them around if the cards are sleeved, but then again, I've never tried using a Deck filled with them, usually only 1 or 2 Transform cards per Deck. Don't want to talk about Meld.

Fun fact: Split cards are formatted so that a right-handed player, when fanning the cards in their card, can see both the name and CMC of both halves. Everything else you ought to be able to remember, considering they are in your deck after all.

Left-handed players (or at least myself) sleeve split cards upside-down for this reason. unfortunately, that is not an option with the formatting on this.

Fun fact: Split cards are formatted so that a right-handed player, when fanning the cards in their card, can see both the name and CMC of both halves. Everything else you ought to be able to remember, considering they are in your deck after all.

Left-handed players (or at least myself) sleeve split cards upside-down for this reason. unfortunately, that is not an option with the formatting on this.

I can see why Evil's finds split cards being annoying. I've never had much of an issue with them, and I agree you generally should know what your cards do, but I also get the desire to want to double check. I only really had to deal with them in Dragon's Maze limited though and I didn't play that a ton so my opinion might change more if I played with them more. I never had the left handed issue, or at least I don't think I did.

That being said I hadn't considered how the design for these makes them less annoying with the main mode being normally readable. Thats pretty cool.

formatting looks bad but it'll look good in the graveyard. i really like the idea of flashback a different spell, a la geistblast from soi block

I hadn't even considered that Geistblast was likely the idea for this mechanic. Just gotta wait like 2 weeks for Mark confirm is this is the case or not.

Archived