That thing Birdie said she would do, then zai said he would do but never touched up on

Transparency threads. What the hell. Birdie had a lot of people excited about the idea, but then she resigned. Zai assured me that he was doing it, and that they would be up within a few days. That was nearly two weeks ago.

Is something going to be done with it? Has the idea been dropped? Literally what is even going on.

Yeah, I could ask Zai, but I am pretty sure he is supposed to be more than just a help line. The P in PR stands for public, and the only public mention of zai doing this was me making a status to let people know.

I'm not calling for Zai to be demodded, I am calling for him to do his job. Unfortunately, like every criticism of the team recently, this is going to be written off as me being salty. The PR position was supposed to make the members feel heard, and Birdie's brief time in it absolutely accomplished such, but at this point it just feels like it handwaves any actual concerns.

It was said in the mod forum but I suppose it should be said here in public as well. If I (or Birdie, but I cannot speak for her and you all seem to have way less of an issue with her promotion than you do mine) don't perform my job adequately, then I'll be off of the site staff in a month, and that will be that. I'm willing to step down if there's a need for it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to make this topic, but between never being on for sizable amounts as of late and not wanting to sound antagonistic, I was unsure if I should.

I'm not opposed to Zai as a moderator, and I worry that this would be seen that I Am, but it is rather concerning.

It's been 6-7 weeks and we've seen nothing of substance in regards to PR, only general modding, which was pretty much covered between Sakura and Dad, with Evilfusion and FD for bigger issues.

I'd just really like to see some actions being taken with the position, instead of it being a normal moderator with a shiny badge. I sincerely wish the best for Zai in this regard, but I can't just wish for it to happen forever, things need to be put into motion.

What exactly is this transparency thread?

I would link you the thread, but it was hidden because T R A N S P A R E N C Y B O I S

Basically it would be 2 threads. One to explain what is going on for the mod team and what matters are being discussed (only PR mod would post here), and another open thread for public feedback.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/326059-ycm-staff-section-breakdown/?p=6528255

Already announced this in that thread in Comments & Suggestions, but Smear and Black have both been promoted to Junior Moderator. Like with Gadjiltron, their trial period expires in a month. Smear will give Roxas some help in the Anime/Manga and Movies/TV Shows forums (officially); still need to work out if he can help Night with GFX. Black is the new 4th CC moderator and will be helping me and Gadjiltron to run the section. (Zextra is still here though). ---- By the way, you two, both your user groups are still existent (and you'll retain ownership of them even after you get promoted to mod proper).

UPDATE 22: Aix resigned from mod duties. Zai and Bree both promoted to PR/Junior Moderators. (1/29/2017)

Posted on 18 March, 2017.

Quote box says Giga but Sakura said that. I just wanted a quote box and didn't make one so this was ez pz.

Discussions in the mod forum have been rather silent lately, outside of maybe the rule updates (yes, we're still doing them but needs a bit of clean-up in terms of wording and all; Black has seen the draft a couple times by now before his resignation [albeit probably not the current one]). It is exam season, and I would imagine Zai (along with Dad, myself, Gadjiltron) are busy with coursework and the like; plus evil/Night/Nai have full-time jobs.

I can't speak for the other mods on why the PR issue is stagnant, but given we've had staff resign/get dismissed the past month or so, still trying to determine our needs for the area. (As in, how many mods do we need to be keeping tabs on certain areas). There are some other things Zai will be needed for in addition to this intended role.

It's really a shame since Birdie was on top of her game completely

We did like her on the team, but real life put its head in and took that time away. 

====

In short, things that are on our to-do list:

• Update the rulebook / overall site policies. (Changes are mostly redefining what should be common sense [i.e. what constitutes as flaming / spamming / mini-moderating, etc], the sexuality rule, the warning system and other changes that were addressed in Polaris's initial thread)
  • Reassess our needs for moderation in certain areas (if we need new members to be promoted and/or we have to reassign ourselves to different areas). At this time, we are NOT looking for moderator candidates.

Once the rulebook gets posted, there will be a thread you all can comment in.

====

I did bring up the matter of Zai's trial period expiring, but only evil/Flame can properly promote him to full mod. 

I would link you the thread, but it was hidden because T R A N S P A R E N C Y B O I S

Basically it would be 2 threads. One to explain what is going on for the mod team and what matters are being discussed (only PR mod would post here), and another open thread for public feedback.

It was hidden because Birdie left and... somewhere there was some sort of consensus that I'd handle it myself, i think. Maybe... Actually why did we hide it again?

Anyway...

Fear not, I'm working on it. Things are just a bit slow since I've had a lot on my plate this last week.

The plan with regards to those threads is the same as it has been. For those not in the know I'll quote the general plan I laid out in the mod forum here.

Ok, so, my current working idea for this transparency thing would be a thread in C&O or general for users to post questions and concerns that pertain specifically to the team and disciplinary actions (as well as whatever else you guys think falls into that category). Which myself and anyone else who feels the desire to can use to adress things in public.

The flip side is a thread in news us to use for announcements that pertain to the same topics.

As for content worthy of being in those threads, I can honestly say that the team has very little to give all of you at present. Some of us have been offline, busy, or uncommunicative, and other discussions we've had aren't of the sort that need to be publicly discussed on the forum (event planning and such, for the most part).

On the other end of the issue is the memberbase. Not that it hasn't happened (Giga and cowcow have both approached me with concerns on a fairly regular basis, and I've handled a few small things on discord) But i'd like to remind everyone that my inbox exists, and my skype contact information is in my profile (and i'm on discord, for those that use it). If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, It'd be super awesome if you came to me with them. I don't bite (do ducks even have teeth?), and I'll do my best to handle whatever concerns you may have.

last thing, I'd say the ETA on those threads mentioned above is a week, tops. Depends on how my workweek goes.

If things like this take as long as this is taking, what should lead us to believe you will be capable in the position otherwise? Birdie announced her resignation over a month ago. You have had the position for over a month and a half. Why should this take as long as it is taking, and on what grounds should we believe you can do what is needed for the position?

Sakura already said there has been no discussion on it recently, so the delay is all on you. These are not a complicated thing to set up, making the thread itself wouldn't be much more work than an RP post. You promised to become more active when you received the position, yet have done nothing to show for it.

If you are too busy with work to actually do PR, why are you PR mod in the first place?

The bigger problem is Zai was anointed as a PR mod based on just Roxas's recommendation. At that time, I and other suggested he would be better in a RP position. That idea was rebuked.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Zai getting a modship, but I do think we need to do away with the illusion of him being a PR mod, and re-do the selection, but this time in a position he will actually do, at which time I'm fairly confident he will be re-chosen

Promote him despite having no excuse for him failing the trial???

This is sadly true

Discussions in the mod forum have been rather silent lately, outside of maybe the rule updates (yes, we're still doing them but needs a bit of clean-up in terms of wording and all; Black has seen the draft a couple times by now before his resignation [albeit probably not the current one]). It is exam season, and I would imagine Zai (along with Dad, myself, Gadjiltron) are busy with coursework and the like; plus evil/Night/Nai have full-time jobs.

I can't speak for the other mods on why the PR issue is stagnant, but given we've had staff resign/get dismissed the past month or so, still trying to determine our needs for the area. (As in, how many mods do we need to be keeping tabs on certain areas). There are some other things Zai will be needed for in addition to this intended role.

We did like her on the team, but real life put its head in and took that time away. 

====

In short, things that are on our to-do list:

• Update the rulebook / overall site policies. (Changes are mostly redefining what should be common sense [i.e. what constitutes as flaming / spamming / mini-moderating, etc], the sexuality rule, the warning system and other changes that were addressed in Polaris's initial thread)
  • Reassess our needs for moderation in certain areas (if we need new members to be promoted and/or we have to reassign ourselves to different areas). At this time, we are NOT looking for moderator candidates.

Once the rulebook gets posted, there will be a thread you all can comment in.

====

I did bring up the matter of Zai's trial period expiring, but only evil/Flame can properly promote him to full mod. 

and Rai?

You don't really need new mods except maybe replacing Black w/ Hina

The bigger problem is Zai was anointed as a PR mod based on just Roxas's recommendation. At that time, I and other suggested he would be better in a RP position. That idea was rebuked.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Zai getting a modship, but I do think we need to do away with the illusion of him being a PR mod, and re-do the selection, at which time I'm fairly confident he will be re-chosen

This is sadly true

If things like this take as long as this is taking, what should lead us to believe you will be capable in the position otherwise? Birdie announced her resignation over a month ago. You have had the position for over a month and a half. Why should this take as long as it is taking, and on what grounds should we believe you can do what is needed for the position?

Sakura already said there has been no discussion on it recently, so the delay is all on you. These are not a complicated thing to set up, making the thread itself wouldn't be much more work than an RP post. You promised to become more active when you received the position, yet have done nothing to show for it.

If you are too busy with work to actually do PR, why are you PR mod in the first place?

You sure you guys aren't looking for reasons to demote me? Kinda sounds like it. If you guys honestly don't think I should be a moderator, bring it up with the rest of the mod team.

Also, no, me being the PR mod is not an "Illusion". Its my job. With Nai leaving I'll just also be in charge of moderating RP, in addition to helping the team out around the site.

Anyway, its taken a couple weeks because work has been physically demanding, and I'm not satisfied with my current drafts. Most of that involves figuring out what the mods can/should discuss in public with members, and precisely outlining it in said thread. Basically informing you what will/will not be talked about, since we can't effectively do our jobs without keeping some things to ourselves. In addition to that, I've been using some of that time to keep an eye on sections that i've been asked to help moderate, and so i've been spending less of my YCM time writing content. Just because I'm not posting doesn;t mean I'm not present on the site, nor does it mean I'm unaware or out of touch with what's going on.

You want reassurance? All I can really give you are the words I'm typing into this thread, at least until I'm finished with those threads. Not much else I can do other than write, at the moment.

I've always been blunt about what I feel. If I wanted you demodded I'd openly say so

The fact remains, Nai, Sakura, and Dad have been doing the PR job, atleast for me, more regularly and w/o prodding on their own

If you want Nai's job in RP, fine, but you shouldn't have been shoe-horned into a modship that you haven't really been active in

You know up front that this was gonna be a fairly intensive job, if that was too much, you shouldn't have take it

About why the original thread got hidden in the first place: Bree hid the thread after she announced her resignation; why, you'd have to ask her. 

What to do about Rai? There aren't any plans to replace/demote him at this time (though we are fully aware of his inactivity and it has been brought up). At the moment, Dad's doing fine with keeping tabs on General/Debates. The other areas (C&O, Miscellaneous [okay, this one does require quality control to some degree] and Games) don't necessarily need him to watch them constantly. (Usually one of the other mods take care of it).

I cannot say if Rai is busy with coursework like the rest of us (he does come around), but not too much concerning his opinion in some of the discussions as of late.

Rai's inactivity is the type that becomes very difficult to notice, because he frequently logs on, so glancing at "last online" time stamps makes it seem like he's around more often than he really is. Looking back, he has little presence and has admitted as much. As such...it's more something that gets overlooked, rather than it being acceptable, and when the subject initially came up, I was looking for IMMEDIATE issues, although I think I did off-hand say that Rai would probably be among those trimmed at the rate things were.

*double checks the mod thread* No, wait, I just forgot about him entirely because he made one post acknowledging his activity slipping (and also admitting no expectation of it changing), and then disappeared off the radar, and the rest of the thread was much more...dramatic.

What's this about me doing PR stuff?  General communication is all I've been doing.  And Zai has too.  So if you're gonna give credit, give it where it's due.  As far as transparency thread goes, I'm assisting Zai with that little project.  This is sensitive material, believe it or not.  Every little thing we give you can and will probably be disputed (that's only fair and reasonable).  So we're trying to make sure we give you what you deserve without harming anyone in the process.

This isn't as simple as "TELL US EVERYTHING GOING ON IN THE MOD FORUM".  That's stupid, and not gonna happen.  So please, be patient a little while longer.  Zai can't do this on his own.  Birdie started it and we're grateful for her hard work despite her brief time on the team.  Now it's up to us--all of us--to put a finished piece together.

Tomorrow, Zai should have something ready for you concerning our current plans.

I am glad that we are finally getting something.

Dorian, you say that Zai has been doing plenty of general communication. Do you have any examples you can link? I'm not saying you are incorrect, I simply haven't seen anything of the sort and would love to have my mind changed.

What's this about me doing PR stuff?  General communication is all I've been doing.  And Zai has too.  So if you're gonna give credit, give it where it's due.  As far as transparency thread goes, I'm assisting Zai with that little project.  This is sensitive material, believe it or not.  Every little thing we give you can and will probably be disputed (that's only fair and reasonable).  So we're trying to make sure we give you what you deserve without harming anyone in the process.

This isn't as simple as "TELL US EVERYTHING GOING ON IN THE MOD FORUM".  That's stupid, and not gonna happen.  So please, be patient a little while longer.  Zai can't do this on his own.  Birdie started it and we're grateful for her hard work despite her brief time on the team.  Now it's up to us--all of us--to put a finished piece together.

Like how professionally you dealt with the "baka" incident? You contacted the relevant parties, brought in the super-mods, did it cleanly, quickly, without issue. And went on your way after doing such.

Nai has been helping with my profile song and stuff and got me a way to contact the right people. Etc. Zai is a general police mod on Discord I guess and he's civil in debates. But he's not doing what Birdie was doing before she left

Alright, no offense to the mods I think you guys are lovely people, but how important is it who is one and who is not one. I'm just saying really the only reason they're around is to make sure the site doesn't burn down and keep things civil. Quite frankly the fact that they're going through all this trouble is more than they need to be doing, and we should be thankful that they are doing this much. They are under no obligation to be doing this and let's be perfectly honest it's not like the mods here are funking tyrants. There are real people with real lives and it's not like they have hours to waste doing stupid sheet on a children's card game forum. No offense to anybody in this thread, but honestly our mods are doing fine, and I really think we might be blowing this issue a bit too much out of proportion. Like for the most part when we bring up problems we have with the mod team they do their best to fix them, and they listen, so can y'all maybe chill.

Archived