THE MODERATOR REPORT [Staff Transparency Thread]

BANZAI!!!!

Y'all wanted to know what's going on, so this is the thread where the staff will be doing just that. All pertinent information will be posted or edited into the opening post of this thread, and any time there's an update, myself or another moderator will bump the thread.

Now as for the things we'll be discussing with you....

[spoiler=Who's doing what]There's already a thread for this here, but for a more timely update and/or what the staff is planning on doing in regards to moderation duties and section assignments, we have this lil spoiler here.

As of March 19th, 2017, here is what's going on.

-Rai has been demoted for inactivity. The decision was made awhile ago but no one who was able had been around/remembered to do it until recently.

-Nai has resigned from his post, and has been demoted as of yesterday.

-Zai has been promoted to full moderator. He is currently the team's public relations moderator, and the new moderator of the RP and Creative Writing Sections. In addition, he has also volunteered to help moderate TCG and Debates. Note that Zai's role in TCG and Debates is a temporary one, and will last until the team decides that another moderator is needed on the team or that those sections do not need additional policing. This is an indefinite period, and he will not be in charge of coordinating new content or establishing policy for these sections.

[spoiler=What's going on]This spoiler is for the mod team's plans regarding.... basically everything we plan on doing in the near future (that we're allowed to share, of course). Major stuff will be posted in their own threads, but everything else relevant will likely end up here.

As of March 19th, 2017, here is what the mod team has planned/is discussing.

-The mod team is not looking to promote any new moderators at this time. However, that may change in the not so distant future. (see below).

-The team is considering the possibility of promoting a new moderator to assist Evilfusion in TCG. At present, the most likely candidate is Byakuya, though as was stated above, this is not a definite decision. If you have any suggestions, comments, or candidates, please PM the moderators about them or wait until we have decided to proceed with a promotion, at which point it will have its own dedicated thread.

-Sakura is also considering candidates for a new moderator in CC, but he is being purposely tight-lipped on who he has in mind and whether or not he's certain there is a need.

-Speaking of CC, Sakura is also in the process of drafting new guidelines for the section. These will mostly pertain to card design as it applies to the Arc-V (Pre-Link era) and VRAINS (Post-Link era) formats of the game. More detailed information is to follow.

-The big one (and the thing that's been occupying most of our time), is the revision of YCM's site rules. Currently, the mod team is on its second (if i found them all, we might have more) draft, and at present getting it all neatly outlined and up to date is our most pressing concern. Highlights include revised disciplinary actions and possibly not-awful syntax.

[spoiler=What's coming up]This is a simple one. This spoiler is for things we have planned that are definitely going to be happening.

-The annual easter egg hunt is upcoming, and the team is in the process of placing eggs and designing clues.

Please note that this thread will be locked, and any comments, concerns, or suggestions you may have should either be PMed to a moderator or posted in the appropriate thread here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Announcements as of March 24th, 2017:

1. The Mod Team is not looking to promote anyone at this time, period. When we decide otherwise, the site will be informed and the matter will be handled more efficiently than Zai's promotion. Until then, we're sticking to the moderators we have. No promotions, no demotions.
  2. The Team is currently restructuring itself, and reassessing priorities. This goes along with the new draft of the site rules. Please note that there is no set deadline for completion. We will be taking as long as we need to fix issues within the staff and with the site proper. Updates as they come.
  3. The team will begin enforcing the rules more strictly. specifically, temporary bans will now be handed out more frequently on a case by case basis.  If the offense is severe enough or the user has accumulated enough points to warrant a temporary ban, it will be issued.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4/21/2017

I took action against Snatch Steal for hate speech in Winter's Status.  I issued a five day ban as punishment.  Subject to be overruled or changed.  At this time I do not have any peers online, so the verdict may differ if higher authority opposes it.

4/27/17

Team is still hashing out the details of the official statement regarding winter's ban.

Zai is beginning to draft plans for RP and Creative writing section rules updates. Possible subforum additions pending user and staff approval.

• 4 weeks later...

5/23/2017

I have begun talks with the moderation team.  I am voluntarily stepping down from my position as General/Debates/Miscellaneous moderator.  My decision is my own, influenced only by my own circumstances and responsibilities.  I may return in the future if I am needed, but I will be stepping down from my position sometime in June.

• 3 weeks later...

6/8/2017

Today is my last day as a Moderator.  My successor, Yui, has been selected and will be promoted most likely within the next twenty-four hours.  Thank you all for your cooperation, and thanks to the staff for being so patient with me in this lengthy process.  It was a pleasure to work with this staff, and if circumstances permit, I would gladly return in the future if you would have me.  Once more, for clarity, my removal comes at my own request.  If you wish to question me directly, my inbox is available.  My demotion will come at the hands of a Super Moderator for final closure.

Dad, signing off.

Well now that I'm in the seat, I should probably post here.

6/8/2017

Effective today, I'll be taking on a one-month trial period as Junior Moderator of the General section to serve as Dad's replacement. If I've been deemed by the mod team to be a suitable moderator for the section, I will be promoted to a proper Moderator. If not, it's back to normiehood for me. In either case, it will be a pleasure to work with you, fellow mods, as well as for you, non-mod members. Once this post is up, my immediate goal is to take some time to get a feel for the differences between moderator and member, as well as for the section I've been put in charge of (I actually almost never visit General; I'm still a bit confused as to why I got the spot despite that, but oh well). Once that's done, my plans for General - and mind you, these are entirely subject to change - are to generally maintain the status quo. My reasoning is as follows.

YCM has a history of reacting poorly to change, and I'm pretty bad with shaking things up as well, so I'd prefer to play it safe and stick to the idea that if the section isn't broken in some way, I don't really need to fix it. I don't want to be the guy that caused the next shitstorm that sparked up from a mod decision, y'know? Though, again, this plan is entirely subject to change. Maybe I'll think of some great thing that will change General for the better down the line...or maybe I won't. Perhaps I'll notice something wrong with the section and devise a means of fixing it...or maybe I won't. If you have any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc, about this post and the intentions I've stated to have within it, I'd be pleased to hear them wherever and whenever you think it's most convenient to reach me.

• 4 weeks later...

7/6/2017
At Toot's request, Toot has been permabanned. Toot was not willing to explain the reasons behind this request, and it wasn't our place to pry for answers; all we know is Toot wanted to leave, and made the request with that in mind. Unfortunate, but it leads me to the bigger point behind this post.

Effective immediately, members can PM a mod asking to have their account temporarily or permanently banned, for whatever reason they may have. Explaining yourself is not necessary, but if you want to leave YCM for an extended period of time, or even forever, we are now willing to provide this service more openly. However, I would like to make it abundantly clear that ban requests will be taken seriously, even if the member in question is a known jokester. Do not ask for a ban on a whim unless you really mean it, and especially don't do it as a joke.

Furthermore, any member who requests a permaban instead of a temp ban will be PERMAbanned. No coming back, you have deleted your save data, it cannot be restored, goodbye forever. While the vast majority of permabans to this day remain permanent, the two permabans Winter has been handed were ultimately revoked to temp bans. We don't plan to make a habit of not meaning permanent when we say it, so we're not doing that with people who request a perma. Permanent means permanent as of now, especially in this context.

If you request a ban for yourself, please do so responsibly and with consideration for the consequences.

7/13/2017

After a successful trial period, I have been promoted to full moderator, and my position as Dad's replacement as General mod is even more official now than it already was when I was just a junior mod. It's in the section breakdown thread and everything. I look forward to being able to use my newfound power to both help and tease members who respectively request or consent to the use of my power for whatever purpose is required or desired. And also to more effectively keep things running in General and its related sections of course.

• 2 weeks later...

7/21/2017

(It would've been better for Gadjiltron to be making this statement, but he requested that one of us do it.)

Due to circumstances pertaining to his job outside of this site, Gadjiltron is resigning his position as a Custom Cards moderator. At a later time, evilfusion or Flame will handle his demotion.

He will continue to have ownership of the YCM Discord, but won't intervene in matters except when his presence is required.

No replacements are being considered at this time, either for him or other sections in general.

When the need arises, then either myself or one of the other mods will make a thread announcing our choice(s) and allowing you to give input / suggest other names for the areas that require added supervision. Until then, please do not make a thread in Comments & Suggestions asking for [X] to be promoted. 

Thank you.

====

(This will also be announced in the staff breakdown thread)

• 2 weeks later...

7/30/17

We were supposed to have an announcement about this yesterday but it didn't materialize. So here's the cliffnotes as far as I am aware of them.

The YCM discord server is no longer officially endorsed by the mod team and any activity there is no longer subject to our moderation. Lujan is now its Admin and owner, and in addition I will be remaining on the discord server so that the mod team still has a set of eyes there if we need them.

Though we no longer have authority there any incidents therein that spill over to YCM are still subject to our authority.

8/2/17

After review and deliberation, Enguin's temporary ban will be lifted some time today. The ban was issued due to miscommunication within the mod team, and was excessive punishment for a minor infraction. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the mistake on our part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

11/21/2017

After some talking among the moderator team and comments from users pertaining to the state of the section, potential replacements to succeed evilfusion as the Yugioh TCG moderator have been contacted. We will let you know who this member is within the next few days, so please be patient.

(The staff breakdown thread will be updated accordingly.)

Until the replacement is promoted to Junior Moderator, Flame will continue to be the de facto mod for all TCG. 

Do NOT incite drama about this matter, either as a thread or in the status bar. 

Thank you.

11/26/2017

Discussion regarding two-term limitations for moderators has begun in the Mod Forum.  No decision has been made yet.  This would affect those current and former moderators who have been in and out of the moderation team twice (including myself).

Updates will come as they are presented.

Archived