New Link Monster Information

https://ygorganization.com/ekisotorarinkuexclamationpoint/

https://ygorganization.com/3honeybotisadvancedtactics/

https://ygorganization.com/ocg-new-master-rule-starter-deck-2017-rulings/

https://i1.wp.com/ygorganization.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/nats17de261.jpg?ssl=1

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8355

I will just post the link since I won't want to have a super long post. In case you don't want to read, here are the main points:

1. I am unsure if this was made clear before, but in case you were wondering, a Link Marker pointing to your opponent's field DOES mean your opponent can Special Summon Extra Deck Monsters to it.
  2. Mutual Links are when two Link Monsters are pointed at each other with their Link Markers. Honeybot linked to another Honeybot would be a Mutual Link for example, however having Firewall Dragon in the Extra Monster Zone and having Honeybot below it would not be, they are still linked, but not in a Mutual Link.
  3. You can use both Extra Monster Zones if you have a Mutual Link between a Link Monster in the Extra Monster Zone and all the way to the other Extra Monster Zone. Basically, you are making a necklace with your Link Monsters, and again, they must all be pointed to each other. Important notes, you can only Special Summon Link Monsters to the additional Extra Monster Zone, and you can only do so if that one is also in a Mutual Link with any of the monsters that are connected the Extra Monster Zone to the other Extra Monster Zone. Interesting note, if you have any Link Markers pointing to your opponent's field in a Mutual Link and they somehow manage to connect to the other Extra Monster Zone, you may also use that zone.
  4. Monsters that were banished while in the Extra Monster Zone will go to the Main Monster Zone instead. If they cannot because its full, they are sent to the Graveyard instead.
  5. All the rules we know about Extra Deck Monsters work the same for Link Monsters, they must first be Special Summoned, they lose the information of the Link Materials used should they leave the field, except if temporarily banished, Tokens and Trap monsters act like you would expect, and you can Link Summon them even if the monsters would be banished, the exact same as Synchro Monsters. Lastly, they cannot be placed on the field in Defense Position, meaning from the Graveyard or while banished as well.
  6. If you have all your zones full, Extra and Main Monster Zones, you may still perform a Link Summon. And the most important thing for me personally has finally been answered, you CANNOT Summon monsters to a zone that the same Link Monster is pointing at, using that Link Monster as well. You may however use monsters already pointed at to Summon to that same Linked Zone, for example by Summoning another Honeybot to the same zone that Honeybot occupied already, which Decode Talker is pointing at.
  7. You can use Link Monsters as only one monster for a Link Summon, even if their Link Number is more than the Link Monster requires, so for example, you can use Decode Talker and another monster to bring out Honeybot. Keep in mind that you must still fulfill the requirements in the text box, so you need 2 different monsters still.
  8. A lot of things in here, some smaller than others, but I the most interesting thing I learned is that if both players have no monsters in the Extra Monster Zone, it resets who has ownership of them, so you can Summon monsters to the other one instead.
  9. Confirmed that you cannot go diagonally to make an Extra Link, which in some ways suck, but also makes it less powerful in the future. You must connect them in a straight line from the first EMZ, then down, then two left and one up again.
  10. Update to number 9, turns out that is wrong, at least in the TCG according to an official blog post.

EDIT: I updated 6 to make it more clear, so if you're reading this after reading the post already, it's probably a good idea to read 6 again.

EDIT 2: Posted 7 from another article, but since it's quite important I updated it here.

EDIT 3: Posted 8 from another article, there are a lot of rulings so I suggest checking the link out.

EDIT 4: Posted 9 from another article, about Extra Links

EDIT 5: Posted 10, from another article, about Extra Links that go diagonally update.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the fact that it is possible to utilize both EMZ is the biggest news here aside from the final confirmation of Omega working.

Honestly...it kind of sounding pretty scary. Because we know that Links sooner or later will have a deck that can pull that off with ease.

It sounds anime as funk, that's for sure, I can't wait to see this in action in the show, should make for some entertaining duels if anything, but I honestly doubt we'll see that happening anytime soon IRL, since you need a buttload of monsters to even get to it, let alone Summon anything in it.

I believe the fact that it is possible to utilize both EMZ is the biggest news here aside from the final confirmation of Omega working.

Honestly...it kind of sounding pretty scary. Because we know that Links sooner or later will have a deck that can pull that off with ease.

Occupy both Zones on it's own is nothing more than a Domain lock that needs to end on Spider like card (no up)

The problem with be with the deck that can sheet out 5 ED monsters in 1 turn

Look at it this way, Jeff Jones's Combo that used 14/15 ed monsters, only managed to get 3/5 cards needed for the Extra Link

Occupy both Zones on it's own is nothing more than a Domain lock that needs to end on Spider like card (no up)

The problem with be with the deck that can sheet out 5 ED monsters in 1 turn

Look at it this way, Jeff Jones's Combo that used 14/15 ed monsters, only managed to get 3/5 cards needed for the Extra Link

I mean more that it's inevitable we'll be getting a deck that can do it reasonably easily (hence the zoodiac version of Links mention). Having something like that built in the mechanic felt like a bad idea.

But at least, it's pretty meme-y to try out now. Sounds hilarious and a reasonable challenge to try at the current gamestate. It's definitely the definition of overextension.

Ugh, Ruling #3 is such a nasty move. It's quite specific, and as Nai mentioned, it will only encourage players to lock the opponent from Summoning from the Extra Deck, something that it's ought to get more consistent as Links evolve.

Most of these rulings were already assumed, but it is good to get confirmation on them. The Extra Link mechanic is interesting though. It however makes me wonder what happens when the monster in your original Extra Monster Zone is removed while you still occupy theirs. Would you switch Extra Monster zones, or would your opponent have to get rid of the monster in their zone instead. 

The ruling at least makes it Link monsters with arrows pointing not seem as unappealing. Also, if we get a monster with two diagonal up pointing arrows, you would only need a chain of 3 monsters to block your opponent's Extra Monster zone.

Most of these rulings were already assumed, but it is good to get confirmation on them. The Extra Link mechanic is interesting though. It however makes me wonder what happens when the monster in your original Extra Monster Zone is removed while you still occupy theirs. Would you switch Extra Monster zones, or would your opponent have to get rid of the monster in their zone instead. 

The ruling at least makes it Link monsters with arrows pointing not seem as unappealing. Also, if we get a monster with two diagonal up pointing arrows, you would only need a chain of 3 monsters to block your opponent's Extra Monster zone.

I'm pretty sure that this is not an issue, as the person who takes the Extra Monster Zone will have that for the rest of the duel, so you would still occupy that zone, and it only allows you to Summon to the other zone, so the monster would just sit there until they remove it.

I was wondering about that too, there's an image showing a necklace-like shape, though the wording on the page seems to say that as long as you have a way to connect them, that's all you need. I do feel like this may be the case in the future, since right now, it seems like one of the hardest things you can possibly accomplish in the game, unless you Soul Charge all your Link Monsters back or something like that.

The Extra Link mechanic seems rather easy to utilise if we get a card that's basically an upside-down Missus Radiant in terms of where the Link Markers are pointing. And if we get asymmetrical Link Monsters, we could get a Link-1 monster that pointed South West and another one that pointed South East. These 2 could go in the EMZs while the upsidedown Missus Radiant could go in the centre MMZ. Seems like the lock could become rather easy to pull off if Konami wanted it to.

The Extra Link mechanic seems rather easy to utilise if we get a card that's basically an upside-down Missus Radiant in terms of where the Link Markers are pointing. And if we get asymmetrical Link Monsters, we could get a Link-1 monster that pointed South West and another one that pointed South East. These 2 could go in the EMZs while the upsidedown Missus Radiant could go in the centre MMZ. Seems like the lock could become rather easy to pull off if Konami wanted it to.

Well, that's the bare minimum, a Link-1 would not be very strong and it would be pretty easy to just knock it out by battle and get your zone back in most cases. I feel like most Decks would benefit from playing normally rather than trying to do this, since it's a risky move to begin with.

Well, that's the bare minimum, a Link-1 would not be very strong and it would be pretty easy to just knock it out by battle and get your zone back in most cases. I feel like most Decks would benefit from playing normally rather than trying to do this, since it's a risky move to begin with.

Yeah, why bother if I can just NS Pachycephalo, set 4 and pass?

Tons of Link Rulings: https://ygorganization.com/ocg-new-master-rule-starter-deck-2017-rulings

Here are some that stand out for me:

[spoiler=Rulings]

Q: When Link Summoning a Decode Talker, can I send 4 or more monsters to the Graveyard as Link Materials?
A: Decode Talker requires 3 Link Materials for its Link Summon. You cannot unnecessarily use more monsters than required when performing a Link Summon, so you cannot send 4 or more monsters to the Graveyard when Link Summoning a Decode Talker.

Makes sense, confirmation is good though, since I can see it coming up.

Q: If a Decode Talker (Link 3) is used as a Link Material, can it be treated as only 2 monsters for the Link Summon?
A: No, it cannot. Normally, each monster is treated as 1 Link Material for a Link Summon. When using Link Monsters as Link Materials, they can also be treated as a number of Link Materials equal to their own LINK value. Therefore, when using the Link 3 Decode Talker as a Link Material, you can treat is as either 1 or 3 materials.

I was wondering if that was possible, would be weird if it was the case, though it's not so yeah.

Q: Can I use a Link Monster as Synchro Material for a Synchro Summon, or Xyz Material for an Xyz Summon?
A: Link Monsters have no Level or Rank. They cannot be used as Synchro or Xyz Materials for a Summon. However, Link Monsters can become Xyz Materials through the effects of cards such as Number 101: Silent Honor ARK.

I am pointing this one out since you can still attach them to Xyz Monsters, some people may think you can't since they have no Levels.

Q: Can a Link Monster be equipped with Synchro Boost?
A: A Link Monster can be equipped with Synchro Boost. However, since Link Monsters do not have a Level, the effect of increasing its Level is not applied. The effect that increases its ATK by 500 is applied normally.

Interesting thing here is that it confirms they can't gain Levels from cards here.

Q: When the effects of a Link Monster are negated by the effect of Skill Drain, what happens to its Link Markers?
A: Even if the effects of a Link Monster are negated by Skill Drain, the Link Markers are not negated. Therefore, if there is a monster in a Monster Zone pointed to by the Link Marker, it will be considered linked to the Link Monster, and if that Monster Zone is empty, you will be able to Special Summon a monster from your Extra Deck to that Zone.

Kind of a dumb question, but I guess some people may find it useful to know.

Q: Can a Link Monster be equipped with Horn of Light or Rod of Silence – Kay’est?
A: A Link Monster can be equipped with Horn of Light or Rod of Silence – Kay’est. However, since Link Monsters do not have DEF, the effect of increasing DEF is not applied. (In the case of Rod of Silence – Kay’est, the effect that negates other Spells’ effects targeting the equipped monster and destroys them is applied normally.)

You may still equip cards that increase DEF, though nothing happens of course.

Q: If the only face-up monsters on my opponent’s field are Link Monsters, can I activate Smashing Ground? Also, if there are both Link Monsters and non-Link Monsters on my opponent’s field, can I activate Smashing Ground?
A: If the only face-up monsters on your opponent’s field are Link Monsters, there is no monster with the highest DEF, so you cannot activate Smashing Ground. Furthermore, if there are both Link Monsters and non-Link Monsters on your opponent’s field, the monster with the highest DEF among those that have a DEF will be destroyed. (Note that if there are only Link Monsters on your opponent’s field when Smashing Ground is resolving, since Link Monsters do not have a DEF, no monster is destroyed by Smashing Ground.)

Interesting to note is that it isn't treated like they have no DEF, they don't have any DEF at all, so you can't even activate it expecting them to have 0 DEF instead.

Q: I Special Summon a monster to the right Extra Monster Zone, and my opponent Special Summons a monster to the Left Monster Zone. If Dark Hole is activated in this situation, and both monsters are destroyed, can each player choose to Special Summon new monsters to either Extra Monster Zone?
A: Normally, each player can use 1 of 2 Extra Monster Zones during a Duel, one at a time. However, a used Extra Monster Zone is not permanently considered part of that player’s field. If the effect of Dark Hole is applied, such as in this scenario, so that no monsters exist in the Extra Monster Zones again, a player Special Summoning from the Extra Deck can choose either one of the Extra Monster Zones to use.

Turns out they reset, I figured the zone would be a part of that player's control throughout the whole duel. That can change things quiet a lot, since you can put up a monster in the other EMZ after you get rid of the Link Monster in that one, then you stop their plans for the linked monsters.

Q: Decode Talker is in my Main Monster Zone, and my opponent’s Decode Talker is in their Main Monster Zone in the same column. In this case, are the 2 copies of Decode Talker linked to each other?
A: Even if each player controls a Link Monster whose Link Markers point to each other’s Main Monster Zones, such as the 2 copies of Decode Talker in this scenario, they are not considered linked to each other.

Yeah, figured that would be the case with the EMZ being the way it is.

Q: My Honeybot is in an Extra Monster Zone. Its Link Markers point directly to the left and right, but does that mean it is pointing to the other Extra Monster Zone?
A: The 2 Extra Monster Zones on the field are not considered adjacent to each other. Therefore, even if a Link Monster with left and right Link Markers such as Honeybot is in an Extra Monster Zone, you cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck to the other Extra Monster Zone.

Same thing as above.

Q: A Honeybot that was Link Summoned is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard. Afterward, if I Special Summon Honeybot to my Main Monster Zone with the effect of Monster Reborn, can I Special Summon monsters from my Extra Deck to the Monster Zones directly to the left and right of it?
A: In this scenario, you can Special Summon from your Extra Deck to the new Main Monster Zones pointed to by the Link Markers of Honeybot.

Don't know why you would think that wouldn't be the case, but again, some may want to know.

Q: Decode Talker is treated as an Equip Card equipped to Relinquished. In that case, can I Special Summon monsters from my Extra Deck to the Main Monster Zone pointed to by the top Link Marker of that Decode Talker in my Spell & Trap Zone?
A: In this scenario, if a Link Monster is treated as an Equip Card by the effect of Relinquished and its Link Marker points up to a Main Monster Zone, you cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck to that Monster Zone.

Confirmed that they must still be monsters to point, it's only in the Monster Zone in other words.

Q: Timegazer Magician is in one of my Pendulum Zones, and Link Spider is in the Main Monster Zone above it in the same column. In this case, is Timegazer Magician linked to that Link Spider?
A: A monster in a Monster Zone pointed to by a Link Monster’s Link Markers is considered linked to it. If the Link Marker points to a Pendulum Zone, the monster there is not considered linked. (In this scenario, Timegazer Magician is not linked to Link Spider.)

You cannot link to cards in the Spell & Trap Zone, which makes sense, since you can't Summon things to it either.

Q: There is a Honeybot in my Extra Monster Zone, and another Honeybot in my Main Monster Zone. In this situation, if I activate Polymerization, but my opponent chains Raigeki Break and destroys the Honeybot in my Main Monster Zone, so that there are no Zones in which I can Special Summon a monster from the Extra Deck, how does Polymerization resolve?
A: In this scenario, if there are no Zones in which you can Special Summon a monster from the Extra Deck when the effect of Polymerization resolves, the effect is not applied.

Logical scenario if you think about it, but a good thing to know anything.

Q: Can I Special Summon a monster to my Main Monster Zone with the effect of Ultimaya Tzolkin?
A: The Special Summon of a Synchro Monster by the effect of Ultimaya Tzolkin is a Special Summon from the Extra Deck, so normally the Special Summoned monster must be placed in an Extra Monster Zone. However, if a Link Monster’s Link Markers point to one of your Main Monster Zones, you can Special Summon a monster from your Extra Deck to that Zone, so you can use it to Special Summon with the effect of Ultimaya Tzolkin.

Guess this confirms that Special Summons from outside sources still must Special Summon to the Extra Monster Zone.

Q: Can I activate Ninjitsu Art of Shadow Sealing by targeting an opponent’s monster in the Extra Monster Zone?
A: You can activate Ninjitsu Art of Shadow Sealing by targeting an opponent’s monster in the Extra Monster Zone. In that case, the targeted monster is banished, and that Extra Monster Zone cannot be used while the monster remains banished. (Since the empty Extra Monster Zone is no longer treated as part of either player’s field, both players can still use the other Extra Monster Zone if it is available.) Afterward, when Ninjitsu Art of Shadow Sealing leaves the field, the unused Extra Monster Zone returns to a usable state, and the effect that returns the banished monster to the field activates. When the effect resolves, the monster must return to the same Monster Zone that it was previously in, but since it is not possible to return the banished monster to an Extra Monster Zone, it is sent to the Graveyard instead.

This is some weird interactions right here, but I suppose it's a good thing to know down the line.

Q: When I Special Summon an Xyz Monster with the effect of Rank-Up-Magic Barian’s Force by using an existing Xyz Monster in my Extra Monster Zone, if the other Extra Monster Zone is vacant, can I place the newly Summoned monster in the other Extra Monster Zone? Also, if I use monsters in the Extra Monster Zone as Materials for a Fusion, Synchro, or Link Summon and send them to the Graveyard, can I place the newly Summoned monster in the other Extra Monster Zone?
A: In both of these scenarios, when you Special Summon from your Extra Deck while the other Extra Monster Zone is empty, you can place the newly Special Summoned monster in either Extra Monster Zone.

This is interesting, swapping Link Monsters to the other side could be a neat play at times.

Q: Each player has a monster in the Extra Monster Zones. If Creature Swap is activated in this situation, how does it resolve?
A: In that case, the monsters in the Extra Monster Zones will change control to the opponent’s Main Monster Zones. (As a result, both Extra Monster Zones will be empty afterward.)

Ahhh, I wish you would still swap them, that would be so fun, but ah well, it makes sense for consistency anyway.

Q: There are 5 monsters in my opponent’s Main Monster Zones, and 1 of my opponent’s monsters in the Extra Monster Zone. On the other hand, my only monster on the field is in my Main Monster Zone. If Creature Swap is activated in this situation, how does it resolve?
A: In this scenario, since you only control 1 monster, you must choose that monster. However, since your opponent has no room in their Main Monster Zone, they can only choose a monster from their Main Monster Zone to switch control. (Your opponent cannot choose the monster in their Extra Monster Zone.)

Makes sense, you are never going to move a monster in the Main Monster Zone into the Extra Monster Zone by swapping monsters around.

Q: I activated Stargazer Magician from my hand to my leftmost Spell & Trap Zone. In this case, can I activate or Set regular Spell/Trap Cards to my rightmost Spell & Trap Zone?
A: When a Pendulum Monster is activated to the rightmost or leftmost Spell & Trap Zones, or if a Pendulum Monster is placed to them by the effect of a card such as Wisdom-Eye Magician, only that Zone is treated as both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Pendulum Zone. In this scenario, although the leftmost Spell & Trap Zone in which you activated Stargazer Magician is also treated as a Pendulum Zone, the rightmost Spell & Trap Zone is not. (You can still activate/Set other Spell/Trap Cards there normally.)

Feels odd to have a Trap Card in what would normally be my Pendulum Zone, but I guess you can do that for some reason?

Q: I activate the effect of Relinquished, targeting a Wisdom-Eye Magician on my opponent’s field. If I place Wisdom-Eye Magician in either my rightmost or leftmost Spell & Trap Zone, can I activate its Pendulum Effect?
A: Pendulum Monsters treated as Equip Cards and placed in the Spell & Trap Zone by the effects of monsters such as Relinquished are not treated cards in the Pendulum Zone, even if they are placed in the rightmost or leftmost Spell & Trap Zones. In this scenario, since Wisdom-Eye Magician is not treated as a card in the Pendulum Zone, you cannot activate its effect, also you cannot use its Pendulum Scale to perform a Pendulum Summon.

Interesting, like Link Monsters, they lose their properties as Pendulum Monsters when they're Equip Spell Cards even if they are in the Pendulum Zone.

Q: If Blasting Fuse is Set in a column that includes an Extra Monster Zone, can it be activated if there are no monsters in that Extra Monster Zone?
A: If you have Blasting Fuse in a column that includes an Extra Monster Zone, 4 cards will be destroyed by its effect. (One in the opponent’s Spell & Trap Zone, one in the opponent’s Main Monster Zone, one in your own Main Monster Zone, and the Extra Monster Zone.) Blasting Fuse cannot be activated unless there are cards in all Zones within that column, including the Extra Monster Zone.

Blasting Fuse becomes worse, what a surprise!

Q: Does “adjacent Monster Card Zone” in the text of Senet Switch only refer to Zones on the left or right? For example, can I move a monster from an Extra Monster Zone to a Main Monster Zone directly underneath it?
A: The effect of Senet Switch allows you to move a monster to an unused Monster Zone on either side of that monster. In other words, you cannot activate its effect targeting a monster in the Extra Monster Zone; you can only target a monster in your Main Monster Zone.

Maybe they should get a dictionary instead, because this just is how words work.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://ygorganization.com/tcg-extra-link-works-tcg/

So, you cannot go diagonally to make an Extra Link, which in some ways suck, but also makes it less powerful in the future. You must connect them in a straight line from the first EMZ, then down, then two left and one up again.

BOOM. Sorry to necro this, but that's not true in the TCG, as confirmed in the official TCG blog post that introduces Extra Link to the TCG!!!!!!!

Basically you can do this, as soon as we get a link monster that points diagonally up-left and up-right

EuP2wpS.jpg

The heck? So this will be a difference between OCG and OCG? Funny how TCG updated their SEGOC rules the match OCG's, but then added this difference in rules.

Anyway, wouldn't be surprised if the CC sections suddenly get a surge of Up-Left and Up-Right Link Monsters that support Extra Links :v

BOOM. Sorry to necro this, but that's not true in the TCG, as confirmed in the official TCG blog post that introduces Extra Link to the TCG!!!!!!!

Basically you can do this, as soon as we get a link monster that points diagonally up-left and up-right

EuP2wpS.jpg

Yeah I am aware, already updated my threads about it. Not sure what to think about it, it will probably make it more viable later on, since right now it's very hard to do, but also could lead to abuse. We'll just see how they handle it I suppose.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/365465-everything-you-need-to-know-about-link-monsters/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/322818-the-unofficial-yu-gi-oh-trading-card-game-rulebook/

The heck? So this will be a difference between OCG and OCG? Funny how TCG updated their SEGOC rules the match OCG's, but then added this difference in rules.

Anyway, wouldn't be surprised if the CC sections suddenly get a surge of Up-Left and Up-Right Link Monsters that support Extra Links :v

Well, there is a good chance that they haven't even been in talks about this yet, since they haven't made any that would even allow you to perform it in the first place. I don't even know if the OCG has talked about this being a thing you definitely cannot do, I only remember seeing it from the TCG side.

EuP2wpS.jpg

why, and who, approved this idea? the original condition was at least a far-off issue that was unlikely to happen consistently, or at all, in the near future, this is just one card away from becoming a potential format definer. mutual diagonal links though, on a link 2, would essentially be made just for this play, since there's nothing else you could really do with them.

and in either case, if your opponent has 2 firewall dragons and somehow hasn't already murdered you by the time you steal their link zones using said dragons, then they've already failed as a duelist.

Archived