Desperate Pact with the Beast

VCR_CAT

Continuing my brand of Strong Effect vs. Big Risk

Desperate Pact with the Beast

Equip Spell

Target 1 monster in your Graveyard: Special Summon that target in Defense Position and equip this card to that target. If this equipped card leaves the field, send any equipped monster to the Graveyard and activate this effect: Roll a six-sided die three times, then pay LP equal to the combined result x100. If all 3 results were 6, you lose the duel. You can only activate 1 "Desperate Pact with the Beast" per turn.

Just as "Desperate Contract with the Beast" was kind of based on Pot of Greed, this takes the route of forbidden cards and goes with Premature Burial. The LP cost is the biggest thing for me to worry about balancing, because between 100 and 200 is a very fine line. At 100, the range is a min. 300 to a max. 1700 (without losing), while putting it at 200 makes it a min. 600 to a max. 3400. A single summon doesn't seem worth the latter, but the former almost feels too lax? I dunno. The idea behind Contract was basing it on Gungeon's curse mechanic, where the more curses you have stacked the more difficult the game becomes (stronger enemies show up more often). This, on the other hand, more or less "marks" the monster you summon for death, so to speak.

How about burning for 150 then? The min. damage would be 450, while the max. 2550. To me it sounds like a fair risk for what the card does.

Other than that, it looks like a solid card, IMO. It may be reusable by bouncing it, but the hard OPT should keep it on check, plus it has that burn as punishment, not to mention the amusing chance of outright losing the duel.

So it's almost like Premature Burial, except that it's in Defense Position and has the possibility of hurting you more than just 800 LP.

In my opinion, it's a much weaker card than PB (because of the whole dice effect) except for one thing: this card can be destroyed without harming the Special Summoned monster. Maybe if you added an effect that destroys the equipped monster and/or deals you some damage when DPwtB is destroyed by a card effect or change the current effect to be when it goes from the field to the graveyard instead of just when the equipped monster is destroyed, then it would be more balanced, since now the damage effect wouldn't be so avoidable.

So it's almost like Premature Burial, except that it's in Defense Position and has the possibility of hurting you more than just 800 LP.

In my opinion, it's a much weaker card than PB (because of the whole dice effect).

That's the idea. Premature Burial is banned; I don't exactly want to make a card as good if not better.

This card can be destroyed without harming the Special Summoned monster. Maybe if you added an effect that destroys the equipped monster and/or deals you some damage when DPwtB is destroyed by a card effect or change the current effect to be when it goes from the field to the graveyard instead of just when the equipped monster is destroyed, then it would be more balanced, since now the damage effect wouldn't be so avoidable.

First one's a fair point; I've added a clause to the "leaves the field" effect that inherently removes the equipped monster, if there was any. Also the damage effect is only avoidable if the equipped monster isn't used for anything other than standing on its own. I might add a clause that prevents its destruction via opponent's card effect, but that's probably not necessary.

First one's a fair point; I've added a clause to the "leaves the field" effect that inherently removes the equipped monster, if there was any. Also the damage effect is only avoidable if the equipped monster isn't used for anything other than standing on its own. I might add a clause that prevents its destruction via opponent's card effect, but that's probably not necessary.

Not sure if the current wording on the card allows for that, unless I'm misunderstanding your intentions. I mean, with the "If this equipped card leaves the field" clause, wouldn't you be able to still use the equipped monster as fodder and avoid the dice effect, since the Equip Spell would no longer be equipped at the time it leaves the field?

Archived