Ask Roxas Anything

Phantom Roxas

What are your plans for your Guardian (if you have one) in your GCRP spin off?  Who's it gonna be?

I have two options here. Either I use Elemental Mistress Doriado, since I like the idea of her being the mentor of the Charmers, who I want to use as recurring characters in the GCRP's. The other option is that I don't use a Guardian at all, since I want the factions to not be clearly established at first. In that case, it would be a free-for-all, and while the villain's faction would be very obvious when it's eventually introduced (I don't think there's an issue with spoiling that much), the heroes would come together under a loose alliance of sorts. However, that would make it much harder for the heroes to stand a chance. I haven't quite settled on what I would do.

Thoughts on ACA?

I'm fine with it, and I would like it to remain intact. I have no interest in supporting any effort to repeal it, so I'm glad that the GOP failed to gather enough votes for their plans.

do i know you?

I don't know you either. Sorry.

Your dislike of recent marvel developments (at least those pertaining to slott) is well-expressed, but what would you consider the peak of quality from marvel?

Ooh, good question. Probably don't know much to say with certainty, so take this with a grain of salt as I'm going off of word of mouth, but I generally understand that Jim Shooter was really good Editor-in-Chief. Sure, he may have been strict with a lot of the people at the company, but in a way that managed to bring out the best in their stories, even if it brought him into conflict with the rest of the company. I may make to look into things more, but I think he was a good example of rewards being well worth the risk.

Something I've been learning recently is that some people, such as Joe Quesada, really did not like Jim Shooter, to the point that I suspect that a some those developments I've shown disdain for (Particularly One More Day), while certainly having other reasons, also include just pure spite for Shooter. This is a bit of a leap in logic, but I could see it being that Marvel's current editorial followed a mindset based on being the "anti-Shooter", and it didn't necessarily help them.

Do you play Kingdom Hearts?

what's a kingdom hearts

What do you think of Miles Morales, and the ways in which he holds the mantle of Spider-Man differently from Peter Parker?

Speaking of which, what do you think of the current Champions run, and the way each of these character is being newly portrayed?

I haven't read Champions, but for Miles, I do appreciate that he fills a certain "niche". One of the main reasons given for One More Day was that the marriage "aged" Peter Parker too much, and that this conflicted with how Spider-Man needs to be about youth. Axel Alonso described Miles, as well and Kamala Khan and Sam Alexander, as young heroes who could represent a "classic Peter Parker dynamic", so with Miles serving as a young Spider-Man, he can live up to how Marvel wishes for Spider-Man to be about youth without Peter's own character having to be sacrificed for him.

Peter has been held back as a character because Marvel wants him to adhere to a standard that I believe hasn't been as crucial to him for a long time, so Miles and Peter can explore two different ideas of what it means to be Spider-Man without either character being hindered. Not that Miles exists solely to fill that role so Peter doesn't have to. It just means that writers like Brian Michael Bendis have more freedom to explore Miles finding a place in the world.

What do you miss most about 2008-2012 ycm

There was a whole lot less bitterness back then, at least from I can remember. Sure, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but things could just be… more. But it's been too long that I honestly can't really pick out anything in particular, and I might be looking back at the past with rose-tinted googles.

Thoughts on Debates (the subforum) so far?

Too much of a competitive circle-jerk. I get that the very idea of Debates requires two opposing sides on a subject, but I still think the subforum could stand to have a more collaborative process as opposed to punching down on people for daring to express any kind of empathy towards marginalized groups. The issues there have bled over into the rest of the site (Though admittedly, this very post is only making that trend worse), which really defeats the purpose of Debates to begin with. No matter how familiar we may be with one another, such as what we say or believe, we have all these various subforums for good reason. If you can't resolve issues within the Debates section itself, then what could you possibly hope to accomplish by bringing them up in even more sections and threads? You're just creating even more spaces for these debates to continue in their cycles.

When is Arthur gonna smash?

Does he mind sloppy seconds if Kratos gets there first?

I mean, Arthur's going to have to celebrate somehow after Protheus finally dies.

What do you think of me?

I really haven't felt all that comfortable around you. What can I do that would make you happy?

Hmm…

I do want to use this thread as an opportunity to be honest about some things. I still have some anger about a lot of things, but I'd rather resolve those. So if you don't mind, I'd like to approach this by discussing some things that made me angry, because I'd rather acknowledge those arguments and try to make up for them rather than just act like we can start doing other things instead, as if that negates the issues.

I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't childish in my feud with Winter. However, I didn't appreciate you calling me "Winter's jabroni", even when Winter and I tried to push that to the side. Eventually it got to the point where I honestly believe that some people cared more about that feud than even Winter and I did. I can understand why it was hard to take my side of things seriously and still think that it was unfair for me to be treated as a "cute victim".

I will freely admit that if this chain of the conversation gets out of hand and overly hostile, it's entirely on me. Despite how angry I sound, I do want it to eventually reach a point where we can come to some sort of agreement. You did say that you should be doing something for me, but I don't want to just leave it at that, which is why I wanted to open with asking what I could do to make you happy. I do want to give you the benefit of the doubt on this, that you were just reacting to me because I was being out of line. There are way too many people who I've gotten into fights with because I believed there were in the wrong and they refused to admit it, and I don't want to be as self-righteous as them. No matter how angry I am, I still think it's important that I listen to you. You deserve at least that much. It's not right for me to ask anything of you until I know why I upset you.

To be honest, I didn't care about the feud or what it was even about. It was more of the fact that it meant something when it shouldn't have. I only played on that parameter between you two because it felt like an easy mechanism to even push it over the top or belittle it in some way, that would cause something to shift on YCM. I called you "Winter's jabroni" and I called Winter "Roxas's jabroni", not attacking either of you specifically but both of you. You guys were acting like children when it did go on and I felt it would be fun to treat you guys like children. I wasn't in the right to do that either, acting like a dick at the time and it was more fun than reasonable. I get that. I apologize if I took it too far and I apologize for you not appreciating it. Which, you shouldn't.

You're not hostile in this endeavor, just clearing the air with somethings. You don't need to do anything to make me happy, just don't take things like a personal attack as much when they aren't. Feuds happen because people let their own egos get in the way of resolving things. What you're doing right now if exactly how conflicts should resolve. I just get involved and treat both parties like children when that is what they are acting like. I am in no right, but I get to have a little fun, so it happens left and right.

You didn't upset me at all, I don't even know what the entire thing was about. I just saw two people turning something into a vendetta against each other and saw that I could capitalize on it. I didn't attack you specifically because of how I saw you. I attacked you and Winter just for how you two were acting. I usually turn up to treat people like children when they are acting like it and don't do anything but that. I play police when people are just shouting non sense and have no idea what is actually going on. You two were the prior. I should apologize for when ensued, though. I did go a little overboard with the banter and not conceding to the idea that I might have taken it too far.

Maybe I was just ignorant, but it did seem disproportionately aimed towards me more often than towards Winter. Winter is still a problem even after I'm no longer a mod, which is about what I expected from him. It's funny, there was some concern that, if Winter did get banned, I would just find some other people to take my grudges out on. Yet Winter seems to be the one showing a similar response, where he still acts like I'm responsible for all his problems today, as if I left some backup plan that can haunt him without me having to do anything. A huge part of it was that just about everyone seemed to agree that Winter was a problem, but others on the moderation team were too afraid to do anything because they didn't want to risk some PR fiasco. Basically, I thought Winter was too risky to keep around, while others thought he would be too risky to kick out.

I can't expect you to have known every single detail about my feud with Winter, so it's fair if you thought I was being childish, especially if it seemed like there was no reason for it. I accept your apology, and I apologize if I bothered you in any way with how I behaved. I feel a lot better now, so to go back to your original question of what I think of you, I'd say my opinion now is that you just want to have fun, and that's fine, and you're willing to talk things out. So, thank you for listening.

Archived