Incognito

The Nyx Avatar

Guest BGMCANN0N

While I do like this.. In my experiences, making a card that changes names there is one thing to consider: When you change the name does that monster have a hard once per turn effect that specifically mentions its initial name? If it does, you can use that effect an unlimited amount of times because it it is no longer treated as its initial name.

For example:

Beetron ( http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Beetron )

You can send 1 face-up Spell/Trap Card you control to the Graveyard to target 1 Level 4 or lower Insect-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. The effect of "Beetron" can only be used once per turn.

Now use "Incognito" on this guy and call him say Kuriboh.

The effect of "Beetron" can only be activated once per turn. Kuriboh =/= Beetron

Therefore, you can use this card's effect as many times as you like. It may not be the most powerful example, but imagine the possible loops that could slip by.

So one treatment a fellow member on here, courtesy from Dova,  gave me the solution an interesting solution to the wording to stop you from being able to loop hard once per turn effects. Which I will add to yours:

Normal Spell Card

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster in your Graveyard or either player's side of the field. Until the End Phase, its name is also treated as that monster's name, and its Level becomes that monster's Level.

With this, since it is also being also treated as oppose to flat out becoming that monsters name, it cannot use it's hard once per turn effect again on the same turn.

Edit: Another thing I noticed... On the last line you do have to specify which monster is which to prevent confusion, but I know you clearly mean that the monster you control gets the name and Level from the monster in the grave.

While I do like this.. In my experiences, making a card that changes names there is one thing to consider: When you change the name does that monster have a hard once per turn effect that specifically mentions its initial name? If it does, you can use that effect an unlimited amount of times because it it is no longer treated as its initial name.

Actually, you can't. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Hero_Mask

Ohh good to know.. Okay Nyx ignore 90% of what I said and look at the Bold Edit Note on the bottom of my last reply. :P

It's okay. I appreciate the text edits. Though

Edit: Another thing I noticed... On the last line you do have to specify which monster is which to prevent confusion, but I know you clearly mean that the monster you control gets the name and Level from the monster in the grave.

How would I go about wording it like that?

Thanks for clearing things up.

Guest BGMCANN0N

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster in your Graveyard or either player's side of the field: The name and Level of the monster you control becomes the same as other monster. These changes last until the End Phase.

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster in your Graveyard or either player's side of the field: The name and Level of the monster you control becomes the same as the monster in the Graveyard. These changes last until the End Phase.

Wait. That only states "in the Graveyard" for the name and Level.

Wouldn't it be more:

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster in your Graveyard or either player's side of the field: The name and Level of the first target become the same as the second target's. These changes last until the End Phase.

Just use the "first target" and "second target" keywords:

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster on the field or in your Graveyard; until the End Phase, the name and Level of the first target becomes the name and Level of the second target.

As for the effect, it's okay, I guess. Of course it has applications as substitute for summon materials, or to make card that require an specific monster on the field live. Not an amazing card IMO, but serves its purposes.

Guest BGMCANN0N

Wait. That only states "in the Graveyard" for the name and Level.

Wouldn't it be more:

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster in your Graveyard or either player's side of the field: The name and Level of the first target become the same as the second target's. These changes last until the End Phase.

I just notice that one little field detail the second you ninja'd me. That is a lot better, yes. I'm up the jumps today. Somebody wake me up.

Just use the "first target" and "second target" keywords:

Target 1 monster you control and 1 monster on the field or in your Graveyard; until the End Phase, the name and Level of the first target becomes the name and Level of the second target.

As for the effect, it's okay, I guess. Of course it has applications as substitute for summon materials, or to make card that require an specific monster on the field live. Not an amazing card IMO, but serves its purposes.

What if it gained its Type and Attribute as well? Or would that be a bit much for this card?

What if it gained its Type and Attribute as well? Or would that be a bit much for this card?

It would still be okay, IMO. I mean, you are going -1 just to masquerade a monster you control. That's hardly broken. The best play you could do is to enable a strong card or Summon, but you would need to set up the desired monster in the grave first, control any monster AND have this card on hand; it would still be situational. For the purposes of substituting for a Fusion, Prisma may be more efficient at that. It still retains a niche by substituting materials for other monster card types.

It would still be okay, IMO. I mean, you are going -1 just to masquerade a monster you control. That's hardly broken. The best play you could do is to enable a strong card or Summon, but you would need to set up the desired monster in the grave first, control any monster AND have this card on hand; it would still be situational. For the purposes of substituting for a Fusion, Prisma may be more efficient at that. It still retains a niche by substituting materials for other monster card types.

Alrighty then!

I've edit the effect.

Archived