[AKH] First Look at Amonkhet

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27
http://i.imgur.com/vdCvqeR.jpg

tl;dr:

• Embalm is a new mechanic on creature cards. Embalm N (N, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of this card, except it's white and is a Zombie in addition to its other types.) Each creature with embalm has its own token.
  • Exert is a new mechanic on creature cards. A creature can be exerted during declare attackers to get an added bonus, but it won't untap as normal during your next untap step.
  • Cycling and -1/-1 counters return.
  • Liliana and Gideon planeswalker cards have been partially spoiled, but nothing exciting.
  • We get punch-out cards indicating embalm, exert, -1/-1 counters, and brick counters.

[spoiler=Text Spoiler for New Cards]Glorybringer 3RR
Creature - Dragon (Rare)
Flying, haste
You may exert ~ as it attacks. When you do, it deals 4 damage to target non-Dragon creature an opponent controls.
4/4

Graceful Cat 2W
Creature - Cat (Common)
Whenever ~ attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Tattered Jackal 1B
Creature - Zombie Jackal (Common)
When ~ dies, each opponent loses 2 life.
1/2

Angler Drake 4UU
Creature - Drake (Uncommon)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target creature to its owner's hand.
4/4

Sixth Sense G
Enchantment - Aura (Uncommon)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card."

Hyena Pack 2RR
Creature - Hyena (Common)
3/4

Dune Beetle 1B
Creature - Insect (Common)
1/4

Archfiend of Ifnir 3BB
Creature - Demon (Rare)
Flying
Whenever you discard or cycle another card, put a -1/-1 counter on each creature your opponents control
Cycling 2
5/4

Oracle's Vault 4
Artifact (Rare)
2, T: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card. Put a brick counter on ~.
T: Exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card without paying its mana cost. Activate this ability only if there are three or more brick counters on ~.

Trueheart Duelist 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (Uncommon)
~ can block an additional creature each combat.
Embalm 2W (2W, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of this card, except it's white and is a Zombie in addition to its other types.)
2/2

I don't have the picture since im on my phone but the new Lilliana is Tibalt levels of bad. At 4 mana it might be reasonable but at 7 its just a dumpster fire of a card.

Liliana, Death Weilder - 5BB

+2: Put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature

-3: Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it

-10: Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield

No loyalty visible.

Edit: My sources tell me this is the planeswalker deck Lilly. I can only hope so.

I don't have the picture since im on my phone but the new Lilliana is Tibalt levels of bad. At 4 mana it might be reasonable but at 7 its just a dumpster fire of a card.

Liliana, Death Wielder - 5BB

+2: Put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature

-3: Destroy target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it

-10: Return all creature cards from your graveyard to the battlefield

No loyalty visible.

Edit: My sources tell me this is the planeswalker deck Lilly. I can only hope so.

Yeah, it's the intro deck Lili. Same with the spoiled Gideon.

Gideon, Martial Paragon 4W

Planeswalker - Gideon

+2: Untap all creatures you control. They get +1/+1 until end of turn.

0: Until end of turn, ~ becomes a 5/5 Human Soldier creature with indestructible that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.

-10: Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn. Tap all creatures your opponents control.

Loyalty unknown.

PW deck Gideon actually does seem really solid. He lets you attack and still block as well as being an anthem with an ultimate that makes killing your opponent pretty easy. PW deck Lili is trash unless she can ult the turn after you drop her, but would even be the point of her minus than.

The demon seems really strong. Getting extra value out of a cycle is really good and the fact it trigger off any discard (even ones caused by the opponent) is powerful.

The Vault seems super powerful. First 3 times it just draws a card for two and after that it gets you free stuff.

As for the mechanics:

The fact that all the Embalm creatures have a dedicated token implies to me we won't have a TON of them or the set won't have a lot of actual token making effects. I still worry slightly about the complexity of it, since unless you get a good number of embalm punched outs or all the tokens you need I can see people not realizing the creature is exiled when it dies a second time.

Exert is an interesting mechanic and while that too can have memory issues that isn't as bad since you can just set it aside so you know it doesn't untap.

-1/-1 counters returning isn't shocking since they were due for a return eventually and it makes sense here.

Cycling coming back is really cool. Never played a set where it was featured so looking forward to it.

I'm just hoping they put reminder text somewhere on at least one of the embalm creatures, otherwise once we get away from Amonkhet it may be hard to remember what embalm all does to the token.

I'm sure it'll be on most of them. It's just not on the spoiled card images because they're prize/promo cards.

Tomorrow is the first story, and the full reveal of Amonkhet's Masterpieces.

Archived