Into the Chainmaelstrom (Written)

fearen

Hello everyone. Here's an archetype I've been working on for a while. And by "working on" I mean "hastily making then deleting when I don't like it", but I digress or whatevs. Anyways, I'm pretty happy with how it is now, considering the flimsy ideas that I started with. So without further ado, here it is.

So yeah, this is a ritual archetype, among other things. Although the ritual package is sorta small, I feel like it's kinda important to introduce these first.[spoiler=Ritual Monsters and Ritual Spells]Name: Chainmaelstrom Liaison Sel

Card: Ritual Monster

Level: 5

Attribute: Earth

Type: Pyro

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Chainmael" Ritual Spell Card. If this card is Ritual Summoned: Your opponent must tribute 1 monster they control. You can only use this effect of "Chainmaelstrom Liaison Sel" once per turn. You can activate a "Chainmael" Spell Card during either player's turn, by sending this card from your hand or your side of the field to the Graveyard at activation.

ATK: 1300 DEF: 2100

Sel introduces 2 of the main themes of the archetype; tributing and activating spells when you're not supposed to. Along with every other monster in the archetype, Sel is an earth pyro monster. It should also be noted at this point that "Chainmaelstrom" is a sub-archetype of the larger "Chainmael" archetype. Added HOPT on forced tribute.

Name: Chainmael Royal Guard

Level: 6

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Chainmael" Ritual Spell Card. During either player's turn: You can shuffle 1 "Chainmael" card from your Graveyard into the Deck; destroy 1 card on the field. You can only use this effect of "Chainmael Royal Guard" once per turn. If a "Chainmael" card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or by a card effect while this card is in your Graveyard, you can shuffle this card into the Deck instead.

ATK: 700 DEF: 2400

The stat lines of the ritual monsters are directly opposite of the effect monsters, which is why they're all defensive. Added HOPT on removal effect.

Name: Chainmael Advisor Ket

Level: 7

Effect: You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Chainmael" Ritual Spell Card. Neither player can Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck. If this card is tributed: You can send up to 2 "Chainmael" cards from your Deck to the Graveyard.

ATK: 1400 DEF: 2600

Ket has one of the stronger effects of the archetype, "advising" both players to not summon from the extra deck. It's probably the effect that I'm most worried about in the entire archetype if I'm honest.

Name: Cullpact Chainmael

Card: Ritual Spell

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Chainmael" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your field, and/or 1 monster your opponent controls, then Ritual Summon 1 "Chainmael" Ritual Monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level is at least 2 less than the total Levels of those monsters. You can only activate 1 "Cullpact Chainmael" per turn.

Name: Fullpact Chainmael

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Chainmael" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 "Chainmael" monster from your Deck whose Level is at least 3 less than the total Levels of those monsters. You can only activate 1 "Fullpact Chainmael" per turn.

Name: Lullpact Chainmael

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Chainmael" Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand, and/or shuffle "Chainmael" monsters from your Graveyard into the Deck, then Ritual Summon 1 "Chainmael" Ritual Monster from your hand whose Level is at least 1 less than the total Levels of those monsters. You can only activate 1 "Lullpact Chainmael" per turn.

Name: Nullpact Chainmael

Effect: This card can be used to Ritual Summon any "Chainmael" Ritual Monster. Send 1 "Chainmael" card from your Deck to the Graveyard, then Ritual Summon 1 "Chainmael" Ritual Monster from your hand. Its effects are negated, and it is tributed during your next End Phase. You can only activate 1 "Nullpact Chainmael" per turn.

The second bit of the archetype is the effect monsters, which introduces the tribute summon mechanics.[spoiler=Effect Monsters]Name: Chainmael Soldier

Card: Effect Monster

Level: 5

Effect: Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can tribute 1 monster in your hand or that you control; this card is unaffected by other card's effects until the end of the turn. While this card is in your Graveyard, you can activate a "Chainmael" Spell Card from your hand during either player's turn by shuffling this card into the Deck at activation.

ATK: 2100 DEF: 1300

Name: Chainmaelstrom Arbiter

Level: 6

Effect: During either player's turn, if this card is in your hand and there are no cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone: You can shuffle 1 "Chainmael" card from your Graveyard into the Deck; immediately after this effect resolves, Tribute Summon this card (this is a Quick Effect). If this card is tributed: You can draw 2 cards. You can only use each effect of "Chainmaelstrom Arbiter" once per turn.

ATK: 2400 DEF: 700

The first effect is ripped directly from ehther, but it's given a larger use window in exchange for a minor condition. I'm slightly more concerned about the second effect, and I'd honestly be open to putting it to 1 card or something.

Name: Chainmael Advisor Ves

Level: 7

Effect: If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 "Chainmael" card from your Deck to your hand. During either player's turn: You can send this card from your hand or your side of the field to the Graveyard, then target 1 "Chainmael" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use each effect of "Chainmael Advisor Ves" once per turn.

ATK: 2600 DEF: 1400

The other of the two advisors and the only unconditional search the archetype gets. The second effect works the same way as the lightsworn lumina. Changed the search to grab any chainmael card.

Name: Chainmael Hegemon Ravelvi

Level: 8

Effect: If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Chainmael" monster from your Deck or Graveyard, except "Chainmael Hegemon Ravelvi". During either player's turn, while this card is face-up on the field or in your Graveyard: You can shuffle it into the deck; Add 1 "Chainmaelstrom" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Chainmael Hegemon Ravelvi" once per turn.

ATK: 3000 DEF: 3000

The boss of the archetype. It's stats are symmetrical since it has no ritual counterpart. It should probably be noted that the first effect can only summon rituals from the graveyard, since they still need to be properly summoned beforehand.

There are no traps for the archetype, so the spells attempt to cover that role. They're probably the most important part of the archetype, and they get more powerful when cheated out on the opponent's turn.[spoiler=Spells]Name: The Chainmaelstrom

Card: Field Spell

Effect: During your either player's turn, if there are no cards in your Spell & Trap Card Zone, you can activate this card from your hand. When you activate this card: You can reveal 1 "Chainmael" Spell Card in your hand, except "The Chainmaelstrom"; this effect becomes that revealed Spell Card's effect when that card is activated. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can shuffle 1 "Chainmael" card from your Graveyard into the Deck, then tribute 1 monster you control; draw 1 card.

The chainmaelstrom itself. This is probably one of the more important cards of the archetype, as it allows you to disrupt your opponent's turn 1 plays without going minus. It can also get around the hard once per turn of the ritual spells, but that probably only matters for the nullpact. The second effect allows the monsters to dodge being banished or shuffled into the deck while being neutral card advantage. I should probably say now that the first effect's wording is taken directly from double spell, and I am aware that the darklord wording is a thing. It just doesn't work for this archetype. Changed to go with the trap of dakness/junk collector wording. I'm pretty sure with this wording it won't allow for searches off of exposure/vortex, but it also dodges the restrictions of truce.

Name: Chainmaelstrom Exposure

Card: Normal Spell

Effect: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; Negate that target's effects until the end of this turn. During the End Phase of the turn that you activated this card: You can add 1 "Chainmael" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Changed to be a generic monster search.

Name: Chainmaelstrom Vortex

Effect: Target 1 face-up Spell/Trap Card on the field; Negate that target's effects until the end of this turn. During the End Phase of the turn that you activated this card: shuffle that targeted Spell/Trap Card into the Deck, and if you do, you can add 1 "Chainmael" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except "Chainmaelstrom Vortex".

Changed to interact with other cards properly and added search. The search only works if it actually gets to destroy shuffle the card. Updated to shuffle instead and to fix wordings and not search itself.

Name: Chainmael Edict

Effect: Shuffle any number of "Chainmael" cards from your Graveyard into the Deck, then each player tributes that many monsters they control (or all monsters they control, if less than that amount). During the End Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can tribute 1 monster you control; add this card to your hand.

As much as I've grown to dislike magic: the gathering, I've always been partial to the "edict" effects from it. This card is a direct homage to that.

Name: Chainmael Forced Truce

Effect: Shuffle 1 "Chainmael" card from your Graveyard into the Deck; This turn, if you would tribute a monster, you can tribute face-up monsters your opponent controls as if you controlled them. Also, immediately after this effect resolves, you can Tribute Summon 1 "Chainmael" monster. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase or Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck during the turn that you activate this card.

Changed effect to only hit face-up monsters with the trade-off of hitting opponents monsters for the turn and not having extra deck access for the turn.

So ye, that's the archetype. Opinions would be neato.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I like it when people post potential combos/uses of there cards. I mean, I'm too lazy to do it most of the time, but it is helpful and demonstrates not only motivation but research. I would normally look at the MD monsters first, but seeing how they required the Rituals to come out mostly...time for something different!

Unsure of the wording of the last effect on Sel, but it works. I must say I always enjoy it when I see Ritual with non-field effects which aren't Nekroz, so nice original idea there! As for balance, I would suggest HOPT on the first effect, but a cursory glance over the rest of the cards leaves the second effect fine as is.

Royal Guards...protection effect is quite good. Dunno how I feel about the SS2 destruction. Perhaps remove either the quick-play nature, give it HOPT, or make it target? Feel free to use any one of those as you see fit. Glad this one is active in the grave at least, but I hope some more are active in the hand to an extent.

Earth Chant on Ket? I'm also worried about that first effect, considering this is an interesting reversed Ritual/MD archetype. I might a condition requiring you to control another face-up Chainmaelstrom card, but that might be debuffing it a bit too much. Alternative is giving it a cost of some kind. Tribute effect is basically a search in today's meta, and I hope in this archetype, so seems fine.

While the exactly less than effect on the spells is original, I dislike it. Probably a personal thing, but I just feel it doesn't fit well with monsters having the same levels as the main cards. I mean, Cullpact is fine, as you get to tribute your opponent's monster as well if yours don't fit the bill. Shame it doesn't work on Xyzs, but you've got what you've got, I suppose, and adding it could be a bit much. Fullpact is a bit weak compared to the other spells, and, although I would suggest leaving it, I would also suggest giving it a Graveyard effect. So that you can mill one of your spells too. Lullpact is fine, but Nullpact...combined with Ket's effect, that could be a major problem. I would suggest effect negation rather than attack prevention, as your Ritual monsters aren't going to be able to do much attacking.

Ooh, Soldier can make Ket active in the hand. What fun. Quick glance ahead at the effect makes it seem that you haven't really done much with the activation during your opponent's turn (or just when you're not supposed to) of spells, other than this card and the first of the Rituals. Perhaps ditch that concept entirely, as the monster effects are lacking, and just focus more on the tributing aspect? Yes, normal spells, but would it hurt to make them quick-play and perhaps nerf?

Arbiter is good. Fast and gives you draws. Nothing to say here, other than perhaps make the on-tribute effect a little less generic.

Ves is meh. Why add monsters to my hand when I can leave them in my graveyard and use their in grave effects? I would suggest replacing it with a search from the Deck. SS is less of a problem in this regard, as it gives you proper field presence.

Yes, Raelvi can search, but no reason to have two searchers. After all, you're not exactly keeping cards in the Graveyard. In othe news, Raelvi is fine.

Okay, nevermind. Activation during either player's turn is vital for the S/T. But..why? Is it just another mechanic you wanted to throw in, or does it have some lore meaning or connection? Although I am warming up to the idea just a little. Chainmael essentially gives you a way to tag out monsters, activate any of your select spells during either player's turn, and a reason to leave Chainmaels in the Graveyard.

Nothing much to say on the last four, other than they do really rely on the during either player's turn at the moment. Making them quick-play would cause them to become too generic, so that's not an option. Perhaps go a little more detail in that regard in the monsters, to give it the attention it probably maybe deserves? Also, unsure if vortex works, but I'll get back to you on that.

One interesting mechanic and an interesting style of play: Using Rituals to get to the main deck monsters. Unusual, but it's grown on me. Some flaws here and there, but mostly pulled off well. Nice work!

First off, thanks for the great review. I've made all the easy changes, like adding HOPTs on some of the monsters and making Ves a full search, but I'm still thinking about how I want to change the rest of them. I think that I agree with you on the exactly less than thing and the change you suggested to nullpact, and I think I'll make the last 4 spells do a bit more to stand on their own. I'm just not sure what to change yet.

As for the spell activation effects, I had thought that there were enough with 3 Sels, 3 soldiers, and 3 chainmaelstroms, especially considering how much the archetype can recycle. I also think that vortex definitely doesn't work the way I have it worded, so I have a bit of work to do.

Again, thanks for the review. I'm going to try to work out some of the kinks in the archetype.

Edit: Okay I've changed the spells to be more powerful and noteworthy in general and implemented the nullpact change. I am changing the rituals to all be less than by any amount on the level requirements, and with that change, I think that all of the rituals are powerful enough as is.

Edit 2: Minor changes. Swapped level requirements of Fulllpact and Cullpact.

Archived