[MPS] Amonkhet Invocations | Wave 1

Delibirb

You all are quite late with these, I'm disappointed.

We'll be getting most of the rest tomorrow, barring what will likely be the 5 which are a cycle appearing in Amonkhet. (Hopefully the Gods)

Since they're hard to read, I've put them in labeled spoilers for your convenience.

[spoiler=Vindicate]vindicate.jpg

[spoiler=Force of Will]forceofwill.jpg

[spoiler=Mind Twist]mindtwist.jpg

[spoiler=Worship]worship.jpg

[spoiler=Cryptic Command]crypticcommand.jpg

[spoiler=Chain Lightning]chainlightning.jpg

[spoiler=Aven Mindcensor]avenmindcensor.jpg

[spoiler=Pact of Negation]pactofnegation.jpg

[spoiler=Wrath of God]wrathofgod.jpg

[spoiler=Maelstrom Pulse]maelstrompulse.jpg

[spoiler=Consecrated Sphinx]consecratedsphinx.jpg

[spoiler=Counterspell]counterspell.jpg

[spoiler=Counterbalance]counterbalance.jpg

"Invocations" here seems to simply mean "very powerful and/or well-known spells," and not instant or sorcery as was suspected. Bit odd but there's little to complain about in terms of card choice.

Personally, I love the border design, but many people have been comparing them to Pokemon and/or Yugioh cards. The only problem I have is that they're a bit hard to read, and I can get past that now that I'm familiar with the arts.

EDIT: 3 more that I neglected to hear about.

[spoiler=Daze]Daze%2B%255BMPS%255D.jpg

[spoiler=Loyal Retainers]Loyal%2BRetainers%2B%255BMPS%255D.jpg

[spoiler=Dark Ritual]Dark%2BRitual%2B%255BMPS%255D.jpg

At first I REALLY didn't like the frame. After seeing more and getting more accustomed to it I still don't like it, but I don't think I'd say I hate it. I've come to appreciate that they were trying to do some cool things, and it really shows, but it still misses the mark for me. When I first saw it I took issue with the names and type lines as being a mess and even when I figured out how it functions (they are centered) it still has readability issues. The art is also tiny, likely made to seem more so by how the frame frames it (it feels like I'm looking into a window), I'm also not big on the power/toughness. Another thing I saw people bring up is just in general the stuff on the card does blend into the background, happening even with the mana costs, set symbol, and even a little with the rules text. Last thing, no flex text makes me sad. That said I do think the window effect is cool, the color highlights look sweet, as does the Bolas horns on the side and around the foil tag thing. Art is still amazing. Card choices are pretty solid, just wish the theme was more obvious.

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/846850855626145792

Video of what the cards look like. Window look is indeed sweet, but yea, readability.....

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/masterpiece-series-amonkhet-invocations-2017-03-29

Full list. We notably don't get any green reprinted masterpieces. Also, 5, 15, 20, 27 and 28 have yet to be revealed, and Oketra (the white god's name) slots between Loyal Retainers and Worship. This suggests the gods themselves are the five masterpieces that will show up in Amonkhet proper.

All that aside, my top two are the following. The simpler art with less elements works a lot better.

en_ZbTm78AKff.pngen_6wXjWaOj13.png

[spoiler=All Known Masterpieces Text List]001: Austere Command
002: Aven Mindcensor
003: Containment Priest
004: Loyal Retainers
005: ???
006: Worship
007: Wrath of God
008: Consecrated Sphinx
009: Counterbalance
010: Counterspell
011: Cryptic Command
012: Daze
013: Divert
014: Force of Will
015: ???
016: Pact of Negation
017: Spell Pierce
018: Stifle
019: Attrition
020: ???
021: Dark Ritual
022: Diabolic Intent
023: Entomb
024: Mind Twist
025: Aggravated Assault
026: Chain Lightning
027: ???
028: ???
029: Maelstrom Pulse
030: Vindicate

Man these are ugly, I'm not sure who oked the font either because the names are near impossible to read. I expect a lot of judge calls when people play these things. I guess the theme this set is EMA leftovers? idk, Some of these feel like they fit the Egyptian Mythology theme and some just feel really out of place.

Man these are ugly, I'm not sure who oked the font either because the names are near impossible to read. I expect a lot of judge calls when people play these things. I guess the theme this set is EMA leftovers? idk, Some of these feel like they fit the Egyptian Mythology theme and some just feel really out of place.

I think I may have figured out the theme, actually. Invocations may mean, in this context, an act or aspect of divinity or godlike spell. Wrath of God makes the most sense at the surface, but most of these cards actually seem to focus on either control or divine subjugation, in one way or another. Lots of counterspells, naturally, but Mind Twist and Aven Mindcensor also fit this with relative ease. Dark Ritual obviously is more reference to the acts of man in the name of Gods, as is Loyal Retainers. Entomb can be seen as a divine punishment, along with Chain Lightning, and the several killspells.

This makes even more sense when considering that it is very likely the Amonkheti Gods will be the last five Invocations, and that they are depicted in the majority of them. It just so happens to be that control, and especially counterspells, are highly played cards in eternal formats.

the foiling on the Invocations is literally one of their only saving graces, the other being the 'hieroglyph' style letters, and even that could at least be a little more legible. the cards they choose to reprint are nice tho.

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/847088571546664960

does this mean the invocation's border and all are getting redone? maybe. hopefully.

the foiling on the Invocations is literally one of their only saving graces, the other being the 'hieroglyph' style letters, and even that could at least be a little more legible. the cards they choose to reprint are nice tho.

https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/847088571546664960

does this mean the invocation's border and all are getting redone? maybe. hopefully.

Unlikely. It probably means they've stuck post-it notes obnoxiously all around the office detailing exactly what went wrong with Invocations for future Masterpiece Series designs. Or something comparably explicit. People really didn't like them.

Unlikely. It probably means they've stuck post-it notes obnoxiously all around the office detailing exactly what went wrong with Invocations for future Masterpiece Series designs. Or something comparably explicit. People really didn't like them.

yeah. probably. i do feel sorry that they had to get some of the more toxic replies to their design.

Archived