Golbez, the Man in Black

Fu Manchu

xT3YBL0.jpg

Card Description:

4 Level 8 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a monster with 2800 ATK and 1000 DEF you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) You can attach 1 monster with 2800 ATK and 1000 DEF from your hand or field to this card as an Xyz Material. This card gains effects based on the Xyz Materials attached to it. ● "Scarmiglione, the Blighted Despot": You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all Set cards your opponent controls. ● "Cagnazzo, the Drowned King": You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; send up to 2 random cards from your opponent's hand to the Graveyard. ● "Barbariccia, the Empress of the Winds": You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; return up to 3 cards your opponent controls to the hand. ● "Rubicante, the Autarch of Flame": You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all monsters your opponent controls. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. You can only use each effect of "Golbez, the Man in Black" once per turn.

By the way, here's the four Archfiends if you haven't seen them.

Scarmiglione, the Blighted Despot

Cagnazzo, the Drowned King

Barbariccia, the Empress of the Winds

Rubicante, the Autarch of Flame

Oh, and shoutouts to my boy GarlandChaos for giving me the idea of making big bad Golbez into a Xyz Monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkx3KcO7TCs

Now that that's out of the way:

This is actually a damn solid card that could definitely see some play in a few Xyz Monarch decks, thanks to it only requiring one of the Four Archfiends, a Mega Monarch, or the Heaven or Hell monarchs, and also allowing you to attach materials from the hand once it hits the field. Since the Heaven/Hell monarchs are relatively easy to summon and are essentially vanillas once they hit the field, they probably would be the best materials to use, outside of the Archfiends of course.

Speaking of which, the additional effects Golbez here gains are actually pretty damn solid all around. Barbariccia's is probably the best since it's non-targeting non-destruction removal, but Cagnazzo's effect is also really damn good since it makes your opponent go -2. Rubicante's and Scarmiglione's effects are good too(especially Scarm's since it also kills backrow), but the Barbariccia and Cagnazzo effects are where this card really shines through.

All-in-all, this is a damn good card, and even if you're not using any of the effects, that 2900/2000 body is still nothing to sneeze.

(Also dood, real talk, that artwork is awesome. Mind giving the source, please?)

My first thought when I saw "2800 ATK and 1000 DEF" was "Monarchs" lol

I suggest you make the effect to attach monsters from your hand/field to Golbez as Xyz Materials be either a one-per-turn effect so it can't be abused too heavily. That way, it doesn't gain every possible effect within a single turn unless you had it set up just right beforehand. After all, when put together, those effects are pretty overpowered, even if they are reasonable when isolated.

Archived