Video Game Confessions Thread

Draconus297

If I ever get that far, I always beat the final boss of a game on the first try, but I usually wind up getting stuck on something trivial for far longer than I should.

Despite not liking the shooter genre in general and getting easily bored with it, I would honestly rank TimeSplitters Future Perfect as one of my favorite games ever.

At a relative's New Year's party, I played through two full games of Overwatch as each character that was in the game at that point, at my cousin's insistence, and evidently I'm uncannily good with Zarya and Lucio, given that I achieved Play of the Game with each one. Still not much a fan, though.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of that, I like the Touhou series for more than just the waifu bait. I only discovered it because of the Parodius series, since both of them are shooters based around Japanese mythology, and I admit, I'm a funking weeb who loves that kind of sheet. Youkais are badass, yo.

tbh liking touhou for just waifu bait is lame and people that don't want to appreciate the characters and setting are perhaps better off going with boats.

i guess that's a confession? yea that works as a confession.

I care about the fan creations more than the official Touhou games, it has to do with taste in genres.

On that note, I don't like traditional fighters at all and had hell to pay for sucking so hard at that Syro minigame.

Uh... I actually don't see why the hell not. Unless they really don't have enough gameplay separate from just making choices. Zero Escape definitely has more than enough, for one. To give less obvious examples, there's the baseball practice minigame in Little Busters!, and at least Rewrite has a sort of interactive map. As much as people like to take a dump on others for it, it does seem largely classified under Adventure games.

Because aside from just technicality, whether VNs culturally fit the definition of video games is still something people debate about. Sure, some VNs include minigames here and there but does that make it a video game now? And to what extent of player interactivity does a VN require to be a game? Hina up there said anything that has a choice counts but some would argue otherwise. There's also the other spectrum, of how much gameplay should something have until it's no longer a VN. Is Sengoku Rance a VN?

It's not a fun topic to debate about and it doesn't really lead to anything productive. I don't care enough to try to classify VNs towards either way and honestly that's for the best.

My point was only to create a lower threshold where it is undoubted that a game is certainly not being played. If it has no choice or gameplay, it can not be a game (because there is no game being played). That'd be like calling a movie a book because a scenario requires on-screen text be read to understand it.

Right, that's my bad then. You said could be, not that it is.

Some also argue that even in static VNs, you press buttons to advance the text and that's enough to be a video game. Although even to me that doesn't feel like a sufficient argument, it displays just how arbitrary this all is and  honestly I don't care to find the right answer. Just post VNs in here.

By the way Mitch I really need something cozy to watch that isn't like Yuruyuri because the last few things I've experienced have not been cozy at all and you're not on Discord.

My first VN was actually Kira☆Kira.

I think Umineko is like the third or fourth I've read. I haven't actually read that much. Katawa Shoujo and Amnesia too, I guess, but I'm certain there were more.

I open it every once in a while but not too often lately, nothing against the place though. Would be nice if Skype migrated to Discord so I can stop using it completely.

As for something cozy to watch, I don't know, I feel Shirobako is really cozy. Whenever I feel down I watch a random episode and it never fails to get my going. I just watched an episode earlier today.

AND YOU SHOULD READ FATA MORGANA

I watched Shirobako a month ago. It was really solid, actually. Like it was just strong in every way. Nothing was weak or even just adequate, but the main thing I learned from Shirobako is that being a seiyuu is suffering.

And if you're more on Skype then I use that a lot too. I recently watched Patema Inverted and the drama in that felt so forced that I wanted something nice and relaxing.

As for Fata Morgana, I'm pretty sure my Steam account is broke. 

Actually...

Hold on a minute

I'm on both a fair amount but I prefer just talking in threads like this.

Patema Inverted was a visually interesting experiment but as a story it's a real shame how simple it is.

Well, other than that, you could try uh, Kemono Friends? It's a hit right now despite the bad CGI because of its relaxingly honest nature, see if you can get into it.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with video games anymore so uh

I've been playing a lot of Mana Khemia lately, it's fun.

I'm on both a fair amount but I prefer just talking in threads like this.

Patema Inverted was a visually interesting experiment but as a story it's a real shame how simple it is.

Well, other than that, you could try uh, Kemono Friends? It's a hit right now despite the bad CGI because of its relaxingly honest nature, see if you can get into it.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with video games anymore so uh

I've been playing a lot of Mana Khemia lately, it's fun.

[spoiler=OPEN MITCH]hDh7mCd.png?1

Hopefully can find a place to talk 'cause there are a few things I want to talk to you about that this topic can't support.

Anyway since VNs are games there.

On that note, I've barely even played any of the examples I've listed. I've only got through the main 2 routes of Muv-Luv extra, and a couple not so perfect ends on that Toradora one.

Not only do I need things more like that, I need time considering I'm trying to keep up with 6 LNs on a weekly basis on a subscription before I have to pay for the ebooks.

If you finished the Sumika and Meiya routes of Muv Luv Extra then just jump into Unlimited(in the same game, just start a new game and you'll get to pick). It's an amazing adventure you're missing out on.

Actually I can't because when I pirated it it said Sumika's route would screw up and I found a work around, but Meiya's did at the end as well (even in XP compatibility mode or whatever), so it didn't even count.

So I'm waiting for it to release on Vita and depending on just how long that takes I might just get it on Steam, but I hear from then on the franchise gets just so much more different than what it started out as, and I got into it from seeing the cameo on the Akane Maniax OVA, which is a complete parody of what it does. Which while that may be the case, I don't see the 2 as all that different from what I've seen. Who knows, maybe bridging the gap is a lot better an idea than just assuming I might not like it (like I did with episode 1 of the Total Eclipse anime, which probably isn't as good anyway, but still). It honestly sounds like a much better idea.

I bought RPGMaker because I wanted to get back into game design. Suddenly my discovery queue is filled with RPGMaker-made games, Steam has places RPGMaker and Anime as tags on my list, and I can't get rid of them even though they do not reflect my interests in my preferred kinds of video games.

I completed Portal 2 before picking up Portal 1.

I have spent over 100 hours on Planet Coaster.

I bought RPGMaker because I wanted to get back into game design. Suddenly my discovery queue is filled with RPGMaker-made games, Steam has places RPGMaker and Anime as tags on my list, and I can't get rid of them even though they do not reflect my interests in my preferred kinds of video games.

I don't put... practically any stock into the discovery queue really, because I already have far, far more than enough games I'm interested in, and not really sure how most people can be any different enough for it to matter to them, but from what I hear, you just need to play more games that don't reflect those tags, and they won't be as prominent at least. If that doesn't work, I only heard that's what it should be like, I've only played 1 game on Steam, so I have no way of actually knowing.

I don't put... practically any stock into the discovery queue really, because I already have far, far more than enough games I'm interested in, and not really sure how most people can be any different enough for it to matter to them, but from what I hear, you just need to play more games that don't reflect those tags, and they won't be as prominent at least. If that doesn't work, I only heard that's what it should be like, I've only played 1 game on Steam, so I have no way of actually knowing.

I have about 12 games on Steam, plus PRGMaker. Most of them are platformers or platformer puzzles, such as the Portal series or Antichamber.

Does anyone have any advice?

Archived