Would a Generic Link 1 be too broken?

So if we got a Link 1 monster that just took 1 monster, or even 1 effect monster, would that on its own just be too good? A lot of monsters have powerful effects that activate when they're sent to the Graveyard, the only issue was putting them in the Graveyard usually required some kind of support. If we could just send them to the grave whenever we wanted to summon a Link 1, all we'd need was for them to be on the field. Also, unless the monster you're summoning has a significant drawback, you're advancing your plays by link summoning. This is obviously purely hypothetical, but being able to send your Sangan/Dandylion/Eclipse Wyvern/whatever to the grave immediately on summon seems like it could be pretty relevant and its not something the game has ever had before.

Depends where the Link Marker pointed imo. Also depends on the Link Monster's Type/Attribute

I suppose if it pointed anywhere but down it might not be quite as ridiculous, but it could still be used for laddering. I'm assuming here the link is pointing down though, as most Link 1 monsters probably will. 

it wouldn't be quite broken, even if the arrows pointed down, and it was generic, but it would definitely be a massive play starter, and the more of them you get, the better each would become. any link 2+ that points to both sides, would become far easier to drop once a link 1 (with a decent point) appeared, since it would unlock our extra deck with far fewer cards, and would allow for that (godawful) link zone control thing, to be executed with 1-3 fewer cards.

Congratulations, it already happened.

Firewall and Gaiasaber are fully generic. Unless you mean stuff for link 1 and 2, then probably.

Yeh that. It's the standard formula. Make the beginning weak, middle strong, and final ham. There are exceptions in each era ofc, but that's the general design trend. Arc V was a little more chaotic because they were trying to incorporate the other summon types, but with pendulum it was a pretty similar arc

Yeh that. It's the standard formula. Make the beginning weak, middle strong, and final ham. There are exceptions in each era ofc, but that's the general design trend. Arc V was a little more chaotic because they were trying to incorporate the other summon types, but with pendulum it was a pretty similar arc

Proxy Dragon also exists now, as an additional mention. Honestly VRAINS seems to be moving a lot faster with its developments than I'd expected; I hadn't expected something like Proxy Dragon at all, and although it is a pretty large investment, Firewall Dragon's effect is a lot better than I'd expect of something at this stage of the series (ie before it has officially started).

Similarly, archetype-exclusive or not, I wasn't expecting a Link 3 that points all down (Goukis) until well later, at least not without arbitrary xenophobia.

In regards to the original question, while stats and arrows would help determine how quickly it would get borken, I do think a Link 1 will always find a way to be relevant somehow. It also depends on some level on its effect, since if it were totally generic you could swap it out for more copies of itself, which may have certain other interactions even without a reusable effect (eg making something like Emeral live).

Proxy Dragon also exists now, as an additional mention. Honestly VRAINS seems to be moving a lot faster with its developments than I'd expected; I hadn't expected something like Proxy Dragon at all, and although it is a pretty large investment, Firewall Dragon's effect is a lot better than I'd expect of something at this stage of the series (ie before it has officially started).

Similarly, archetype-exclusive or not, I wasn't expecting a Link 3 that points all down (Goukis) until well later, at least not without arbitrary xenophobia.

In regards to the original question, while stats and arrows would help determine how quickly it would get borken, I do think a Link 1 will always find a way to be relevant somehow. It also depends on some level on its effect, since if it were totally generic you could swap it out for more copies of itself, which may have certain other interactions even without a reusable effect (eg making something like Emeral live).

It's likely moving quickly because they foresaw the community's reaction to the new rules, and therefore opted to give us as much of a bone as possible.

Archived