random doodles #ganbaruzoi

mitchermitcher

So, earlier I came across this and thought, hey that looks like a simple doodle I could easily replicate. Let's do my best ganbaruzoi

Unfortunately I failed halfways through and decided to funk it up for some lulz. The result is here:

[spoiler=doodle #1]8UHBWhc.jpgSee if you can spot the differences.

Then after showing these to some people, someone suggested I draw http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/GGXrd-Rev-2_Fami-shot_01-18-17_001.jpg

And after two terrible attempts, I drew

[spoiler=doodle #2]iSkgddE.jpg

I was rather pressed for time since I wanted to show those guys quickly and I couldn't draw it properly to save my life so I went for a more creative approach and drew what mattered, her boobs.

No promises but if anyone has something nice and simple they want me to draw I could try it, if I'm bored. Also CnC if you feel like it.

Do you want help improving with these or are you just mitching around?

Honestly, I dunno. I began these just to mess around, but I became kinda fond of doodle #2. I do want to be better but I also am not willing to devote time or effort to it right now. Ultimately I just want to mess around a lot right now with drawing bad things.

• 2 weeks later...

the lack of responses is super encouraging but anyway, i saw this http://i.imgur.com/o6SVCeW.jpg

and tried to draw it

[spoiler=random skirt girl]ERYZldi.jpg

gUF4kqW.jpg

The first picture is the in-progress version I had when I started on it a few nights ago. The second one is the finished one I had the night after that. Had to twist her head a bit to fit in the frame but also because I couldn't get her expression to look right from that angle. The more I struggled with it, the more I came to really appreciate the original art. It looked sketchy but the lines were really all at the right thickness and it was terribly difficult to replicate that. If I drew any part with slightly thicker or thinner lines it looked totally off. It still does but I had to compromise until I got an expression that seemed at least fine.

Best advice I can give is to learn the fundamentals before jumping in and drawing things you like, sure it may kick-start the creative process but ultimately you're setting yourself for a long arduous road. 

You're struggling with basic anatomy, and that's completely okay. I was in the exact same boat when I started out, I didn't want to just bite the bullet and learn the "correct" way because I had so many ideas and so many things I saw that I wanted to replicate that it made me skip all of that. The thing is though, I quickly got burnt out of drawing because I wasn't improving at a pace that was satisfying and it basically made me quit all-together for a while. 

Thing is though, the second I actually sat down and really tried to learn how to draw correctly I improved far faster and in turn I started to see legitimate improvement, it got to the point where I felt as though I wasn't faking it and actually knew what I was doing. 

So yeah, I know learning anatomy and lighting and drawing fruit is boring as funk, but if you just bite the bullet and stick with it you'll be way ahead in 6 months time than if you kept going at this pace, trust me I've experienced it. 

Best advice I can give is to learn the fundamentals before jumping in and drawing things you like, sure it may kick-start the creative process but ultimately you're setting yourself for a long arduous road. 

You're struggling with basic anatomy, and that's completely okay. I was in the exact same boat when I started out, I didn't want to just bite the bullet and learn the "correct" way because I had so many ideas and so many things I saw that I wanted to replicate that it made me skip all of that. The thing is though, I quickly got burnt out of drawing because I wasn't improving at a pace that was satisfying and it basically made me quit all-together for a while. 

Thing is though, the second I actually sat down and really tried to learn how to draw correctly I improved far faster and in turn I started to see legitimate improvement, it got to the point where I felt as though I wasn't faking it and actually knew what I was doing. 

So yeah, I know learning anatomy and lighting and drawing fruit is boring as funk, but if you just bite the bullet and stick with it you'll be way ahead in 6 months time than if you kept going at this pace, trust me I've experienced it. 

It's fair advice so I appreciate it, although I've already started working on fundamental construction so it was a bit discouraging to hear the first real advice I get for my latest two is still to go do that. I thought I've improved but apparently not. I will do my best(or well, as much as I'm willing to) and improve.

• 2 weeks later...

It is understandable that the first drawing would get messed up easily. I mean, it looks like you were sketching it out in pen so going YOLO without being able to fix things before proceeding. Basically, you were messing around, and I think that's fine. By what I see in this thread, you seem and sound like you can spot the details that messed up without having them be pointed directly.

Her upper line of the eyes curved more than what you did in that first sketch, and the lower line should be non-existent. The iris's size completes the apparent shape of the eyes.

The highlights of her pupil are too irregular. The irises themselves are irregular seeing how one of them has the upper curve visible while the other eye has it covered by the eyelid.

Stuff like this can easily turn an expression intended to look straight to the camera into a cross-eyed look.

Her face itself should have been longer because the nose is in the right place to mimic the original, however the mouth did not have enough space to go further down and create the same effect. She ended up looking grumpier so you decided to "fix" it with completing the line-work into an open mouth. It didn't look quite as you imagined it would so you maybe told yourself "maybe if it had been sliiiiiightly more this or that other way". That's the reason the mouth is not made with a single line but with several passes.

Her ear needed to be further to the right as to not overlap with the face's contour. Or else our depiction of it makes it look like the ear is further to the front of her face than it should be. Though the effect is diminished by the fact her face's line is thicker than the ear's line. 

You replaced her hairpins from flowers to squares, and gave her a single eyebrow on top of her hair, which the OG doesn't have.

For her clothes around her neck and chest, I recommend looking at actual pictures via an easy google search when you are unsure on how to go about something. The OG is already pretty sketchy as is, but your version further deformed the shapes of it into the simpler geometric shapes. 

You gave her a ring, but I can't tell if this one is a sort of cover up technique or if it was intended for the drawing to take these liberties from the start. 

I also can't tell if the mark in her hand is a tatoo or an anime anger marking that just got too many lines.

The vibe itself is different from both drawings. The OG is making a nod motion, while your is more in a static fired up position.

- - - - - -

I am leaving it at the first sketch, for now at least. I think you can definitely more skilled than that first sketch and you mostly did these for the sake of having a fun little time. Interesting things can come out from it so don't get discouraged. 

If I failed to correctly guess your drawing's cover-ups on things, I can at least assure you that I've used those myself (sometimes I still do if I messed up something that had taken a long long time xD ).

Archived