[MtG] Rules Change Regarding Split Cards

Delibirb

Starting with Amonkhet, we're streamlining split cards a bit. This applies to all split cards, not just the aftermath cards.

Previously, we played a delicate dance when asking about converted mana cost. Sometimes Destined//Lead's CMC is most like 2: Goblin Dark-Dwellers can target it. Sometimes it's more like 4: Transgress the Mind can blorp it. Sometimes it's more like 6: Dark Confidant dings you for 6 if you reveal it.
This rewards players who dig into the rules and figure that out, but it baffles a lot of people, too. So now, it's simple: If Destined//Lead isn't on the stack, it has a converted mana cost of 6. Destined on the stack has a CMC of 2, and Lead on the stack has a CMC of 4, but Destined//Lead, any time it's not one or the other, has CMC 6.
(For the record, I'm not ignoring y'all - I'm working on a larger blurb for the website that'll answer more questions all in one place.)

Source

As a modern player, good riddance. Expertise/Brain in a Jar into Breaking//Entering was silly and should not have been allowed.

From my understanding of this change...mixed feelings.

Not because I'm personally affected in the slightest, but because I'm trying to work out, in my head, how I would intuitively THINK the mechanic would function if a situation ever came up that warranted me knowing the CMC of a split card, vs how it currently functions.

...and the only thing I can currently think of is the Expertise cards, which let you cast a spell with a CMC of whatever from hand for free. (I think it just clicked why people are somewhat mad about this).

So if I could cast a card with a CMC of 2, I can't cast Breaking, because Breaking/Entering has a CMC of 8. BUT...if I'm casting Breaking normally, it has a CMC of 2, and can be countered accordingly. This makes sense to me.

...what if I'm casting both Breaking AND Entering? CMC of 8? Or a CMC of 2 and 6, respectively? (I assume the latter. The CARD has a CMC of 8, but the spell on stack has that half's CMC)

Real talk, the old rules were funking stupid. Basically, it had two CMCs, so you could put Research//Development on an Isochron Scepter... And proceed to cast Development for 2 every turn cycle.

Or having Goblin Dark Dwellers flash back the bust side of boom//bust.

They were rule exploits that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

From my understanding of this change...mixed feelings.

Not because I'm personally affected in the slightest, but because I'm trying to work out, in my head, how I would intuitively THINK the mechanic would function if a situation ever came up that warranted me knowing the CMC of a split card, vs how it currently functions.

...and the only thing I can currently think of is the Expertise cards, which let you cast a spell with a CMC of whatever from hand for free. (I think it just clicked why people are somewhat mad about this).

So if I could cast a card with a CMC of 2, I can't cast Breaking, because Breaking/Entering has a CMC of 8. BUT...if I'm casting Breaking normally, it has a CMC of 2, and can be countered accordingly. This makes sense to me.

...what if I'm casting both Breaking AND Entering? CMC of 8? Or a CMC of 2 and 6, respectively? (I assume the latter. The CARD has a CMC of 8, but the spell on stack has that half's CMC)

The CMC on the stack will be 8 if you cast both of them.

Real talk, the old rules were funking stupid. Basically, it had two CMCs, so you could put Research//Development on an Isochron Scepter... And proceed to cast Development for 2 every turn cycle.

Or having Goblin Dark Dwellers flash back the bust side of boom//bust.

They were rule exploits that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Okay. Newer players are just stupid. They should read.

I get that this sucks since the previous interactions were cool, but it is for the best. The cards having multiple CMC depending on where they are and being able to use stuff like Expertise to cast cards that have a higher CMC than what you should be able to is just unintuitive. Making it a universal "add the two halves" is just cleaner and easier to explain.

well Rip wear/tear in counter top decks, These rules were un-intuitive and a bit confusing since you had to dig through some obscure ruling to find out how these actually worked. The simplified ruling is much nicer even if it does kill some cool interactions.

Archived