[AKH] Daily Spoilers - 5 Apr

Lore wise, that Gideon card seems to say he'll be participating in the trials; which makes sense both for his character and for the mission of uncovering Bolas' plans. But, the Cartouche of Zeal claims the the trials can only be completed by the worthy dead. So is Gideon dying, or simply not completing all the trials?

Anyway, the card itself looks crazy. Maybe a Gideon tribal in modern? Thatd be funny.

The Cartouches and trials all look cool, and I hope their interaction sees some play.

New Gideon is hideously overrated. The +1 is mediocre, his transform ability is standard fare for Gideons, and his "ultimate" is a huge noob trap. If you 0 Gideon and get the Emblem on cast, they'll just kill Gideon on their next turn. Dies to Lightning Bolt too, so it's likely not going to see any degree of Modern or Legacy play. Trying to +1 against a Control deck does nothing because they honestly don't give a sheet about killing you quickly, and aggressive decks will commit more than 1 threat to the board at once. Junk decks will just kill it with Bolt, Dreadbore, Abrupt Decay and/or Vindicate. It starts at 3 and ticks up by 1, so unless you're willing to commit a huge amount of space to Gideon cards, that Emblem essentially reads "Don't lose while you control an easy to kill Planeswalker." 

Like holy funk it's double white too. And yes holy funk please kill Gideon. You can kill Nissa as well, they're both utter ebola on the Magic storyline. Then again, Magic storyline has taken a huge dip ever since Time Spiral. Which is a shame, because Time Spiral was a cool block. Technically you can blame Lorwyn for introducing the League of Unlikable Obnoxious characters who only exist to attempt to force color identity. 

Fully agree new Gideon is really just ok. His plus gets worse as the game goes (though it can make them play into a wrath) and his 0 is perfectly fine, but not really note worthy. He might as well not have an ultimate. He dies to everything if you use it right away (standard has a lot of 3/X creatures for Heart) and even if you keep it they can still just attack you and bring you to 0, then deal with Gideon. Saying it works with Ally isn't even true. Ally often dies to make his emblem and if he sticks around you're very likely to be winning the game anyway. He isn't being helped by a 4 power hasty flier and the new O-Ring. Honestly, I don't think he is bad (3 mana 4/4 indestructible is still solid), but he is likely to only be a small role player in standard. All this said though, I really like his design and think it captures Gideon wonderfully.

The cartouches and trials all seem really solid. Like of the the lot the Red cartouche and White trial are the only ones I really wouldn't want to start without the interaction between the two. Also, weird how 3 of the trials use Oath effects.

The graveyard hate has come at last.

Celebrant doesn't seem good in standard thanks to Ballista but he is a beating in commander. Extra attacks are SUPER powerful if you want to kill with commander damage.

Other new cards

cutribbons.jpgragsriches.jpginsultinjury.jpg

The joke of cast both halves for Cut to Ribbons and Rags to Riches doesn't really work. Cut has no synergy and Riches costs WAY to much to use with Ribbons 99% of the time. This being said Cut is likely fine for standard if its needed and Riches seems good in commander, though it is just worse than Blatant Thievery. Insult to Injury also seems more like a commander card thanks again to commander damage.

asforetold.jpg

This is likely to slow for constructed, but the interaction with the 0 mana spells is real. Not to mention you can double up with instants. I was hopeful this could get around commander tax, but I don't think it can. Either way still seems insane with everyone's favorite new commander.

And we got one more

mouthfeed.jpg

This actually seems really good. 3/3 for 3 is a solid rate and the flashback can easily end up drawing you a few cards.

Archived