I'm making a game, need advice please

cr47t

Hi guys,

I have recently started creating an RPG (I assume turn-based) in RPG Maker. I wanted some advice from you guys on what I should put in it.

My main goals for this game are:

• To make it very (or at least fairly) enjoyable for both RPG veterans and those new to RPG games
  • To avoid the cliche themes
  • To have the characters and the world mean something to the player (in a somewhat Earthbound-ish way, I guess)

I would enjoy hearing any ideas you people have, and will reply to them when I can.

I used to fiddle around with rpg maker, but that was ages ago. It probably has a bunch of features now that it didn't have before...

Anyways the first thought that popped into my head for your first goal would be the implementation of a unique battle (or prominent out-of-battle) mechanic. From what I remember of rpg maker though... I assume you can only do a turn based battle system, so an out-of-battle mechanic is probably your better bet.

In terms of your second goal, I have to ask, is the game gonna have a 1v1 battle system or a group vs 1 system? There would end up being different cliches for each. However, I think the biggest classic cliche that might be intriguing if you somehow avoided/subverted would be the "Chosen One" cliche. That would be impressive considering that's often the clinching driving force of the game. Anyway, a lot of this second goal seems to boil down to the game itself and the story you wanna tell.

I'm... Not exactly sure what you mean by the third goal (haven't played Earthbound). But it does sound like a plot based concern. Do you have a idea of a story behind your game or did you just start making it?

I used to fiddle around with rpg maker, but that was ages ago. It probably has a bunch of features now that it didn't have before...

Anyways the first thought that popped into my head for your first goal would be the implementation of a unique battle (or prominent out-of-battle) mechanic. From what I remember of rpg maker though... I assume you can only do a turn based battle system, so an out-of-battle mechanic is probably your better bet.

In terms of your second goal, I have to ask, is the game gonna have a 1v1 battle system or a group vs 1 system? There would end up being different cliches for each. However, I think the biggest classic cliche that might be intriguing if you somehow avoided/subverted would be the "Chosen One" cliche. That would be impressive considering that's often the clinching driving force of the game. Anyway, a lot of this second goal seems to boil down to the game itself and the story you wanna tell.

I'm... Not exactly sure what you mean by the third goal (haven't played Earthbound). But it does sound like a plot based concern. Do you have a idea of a story behind your game or did you just start making it?

On that last part: I just started making it after going through the built-in tutorials. Thanks for the advice on avoiding the "chosen one" plot, I'll try to steer clear of that cliche. Thanks for the other advice too.

(I am still accepting ideas from you and other users)

To make it very (or at least fairly) enjoyable for both RPG veterans and those new to RPG games:

Well, you could try to include some things that most RPG players like. For example, some characters that the player can sympathize or empathize with or just generally be invested in, rather than just hollow shells.

To avoid the cliche themes:

Tinkerer already mentioned "The Chosen One" cliche. One other you could try to avoid is the MacGuffin (a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation. The specific nature of a MacGuffin is typically unimportant to the overall plot.).

To have the characters and the world mean something to the player (in a somewhat Earthbound-ish way, I guess):

Think I already mentioned this in the first category, so I'll go a little more into detail here. You could give them a backstory, or gradually have their character develop. For example, you could have one companion who's an jabroni at the beginning, but gradually, as he works alongside you, his attitude lessens.

So, to be clear, no scantally clad, big breasted women right? If no this will turn the male demographic off.

No, definetly NOT that. I honestly despise anyone who tries to pull off such a despicable depiction of a character. Also, I personally don't think this will harm the male demographic as badly as you seem to be saying, for it would make sense to me that there aren't enough male pervert gamers (out of the total male demographic) to determine the general attention of the male demographic.

For my characters I have tried to make my main character cast (4 total - 2 males and 2 females) diverse in race and, perhaps most important to the character, in background/backstiry (not pertaining to race).

No, definetly NOT that. I honestly despise anyone who tries to pull off such a despicable depiction of a character. Also, I personally don't think this will harm the male demographic as badly as you seem to be saying, for it would make sense to me that there aren't enough male pervert gamers (out of the total male demographic) to determine the general attention of the male demographic.

For my characters I have tried to make my main character cast (4 total - 2 males and 2 females) diverse in race and, perhaps most important to the character, in background/backstiry (not pertaining to race).

Alright then.

Alright then.

OK, glad to clear that up. I'm confident that I will not hurt any general demographic by rejecting objectification (or "fanservice" as the latter word is often used to means the former). (Besides I generally think this country (the US) has a habit of objectifying in some areas of it's culture and I see that as a bad thing)

Do you have any other advice for me?

My main goals for this game are:

• To make it very (or at least fairly) enjoyable for both RPG veterans and those new to RPG games
  • To avoid the cliche themes
  • To have the characters and the world mean something to the player (in a somewhat Earthbound-ish way, I guess)

Well, I do love playing RPG games since they often span for a long period of time, filled with vast characters, quests, worlds, items, badges, etc. My advice for a great RPG Game is a unique battle system which mixes turn based strategy with several "action commands" to spice things up a bit rather than picking a choice and seeing the result, like in the Paper Mario games/Mario and Luigi Series..

Ailments and status conditions are also interesting to add, from the typical burn, poison, sleep, frozen, electrify (contact damage/paralysis) status, to new and unique status effects like wet/rainy (reduces fire damage), crazy (attacks anyone randomly), or specific immunity to certain elements. I suggest giving each character/enemy a certain element and make the elements interact to deal more/less damage depending on the interaction, for example fire type attacks deal double to plant or ice, but deals less damage to earth, and fire type users cannot be burned, and experiment on

Minigames are a fun addition to add to your main game, to add variety to the game and add special items/equipment gained by playing the game, the minigames can be a board game ala mario party, classic shoot the target, a puzzle game like tetris and more.....

Other than character bios and information, add an enemy information booklet which motivates the player to encounter and fight every kind of enemy to fill up his collection book for completeness, add a reward too...

Items should have a bit of info or origin to make them more meaningful and notable, especially key items and special items earned after defeating a boss/side quest

Cutscenes and movies are also a great implementation to an RPG game rather than some classic dialogs and stuff, a cinematic experience for the player. Optional characters/party members are also a nice addition to the game, since they have a special touch and requires the player to do some "out of the main game" tasks such as collecting special fragments of an object, finding all secret paintings, or other, be creative!

The world or environment should be unique and distinct one with another to make a more immersive gameplay, avoid multiple same environments in a row, ideas for this includes a meadow, volcano, factory/mechanical area, pirates sea, ice area, windy area/the sky, realm of light, realm of darkness, space, virtual world, etc.

That's all I can say for now

Among the characters, you should probably add a robotic character to tech things up : )

I'll throw in something pretty basic but not always followed:  if people are going to spend a lot of time in your game, they're going to have to WANT to spend a lot of time there.  So pleasing and/or interesting and diverse visuals are a must.

And in addition to being able to identify with 1 or more characters (easier to have more people identify if your own characters cover a range of personalities), and having novel challenges, it never hurts to include a little humor or random-ness.   A character that randomly appears throughout the game and throws in something not directly relevant to the plot, sometimes good for the player's characters and sometimes not, keeps things lively.  For example, tricksters or apparently crazy (in a fun chaotic way) characters often accomplish this.  Their seemingly random additions to the gameplay can turn out to have unexpected uses/consequences as well.

Also, delicious food.  Every RPG should have some delicious food.

Archived