Play Mat Design

ExtremeG

I created with little ditty for a fan fiction that I'm planning where I would illustrate the Duels as they happen.

Let me know what you think and what I could to to make improvements.

[spoiler Version 1]

DuelFieldComplete_zpsk2pn8mxn.png

[spoiler Version 2]

Field2_zpsu8zsrg60.png

Field3_zpsx2lx9lxa.png

UPDATED: New LP counter with turn pointers to indicate whose turn it is. Card slots pushed closer together.

Well, the design looks simple and easy to see, with a phase panel to differentiate one phase from another, LP bar, and a plethora of card zones. The background is also quite simple to avoid complexity

The monster card zones are quite unique since they are designed for different battle positions and there is also a slot for Xyz material?

The zones/spaces beneath the spell and trap card zones presumably shows the hand of the player 

Well, you could add a Letter M or S to label the monster/spell card zones

Of my concern, what does the "card zone" next to the 8000 LP gauge works for?

That looks functional. 

What are the dotted lines for? It looks like a guide to how much separation the zones use, and I guess it'd make sense for it to be shown/stated in some way at this thread. Is it that?

This is not related to the layout so I guess technically offtopic.... but what are the extra back zones for?
I actually have a custom mechanic that requires a play mat just like this one..... minus the extra zone behind the Extra Deck....

I could see your design making the 5 extra back zones be for a custom mechanic and the one behind the deck being the pile of banished cards, which would leave us with that last mysterious sideways zone.

Anyways... I quite like it.

What are the 7 zones beneath the maindeck, the s/t zones and the extra deck for?

The sideways Zone of the far left is the banish zone, the 6 other zones are for the hand.

The monster card zones are quite unique since they are designed for different battle positions and there is also a slot for Xyz material?

Of my concern, what does the "card zone" next to the 8000 LP gauge works for?

The zones between the Monster Card Zone and the S/T Zones with the dotted lines are a part of a custom mechanic that I developed. Click on the icon under my posts for more info.

That is the Extra Card Zone for Summoning cards from the Extra Deck. It's a new mechanic that will be coming out in the game soon along with Link Summoning.

I'm just not sure about these slots for the hand.

The reason for the hand slots is that the field will be used to illustrate fan fiction duels, so the audience will be able to see what is added to the hand.

What are the dotted lines for? It looks like a guide to how much separation the zones use, and I guess it'd make sense for it to be shown/stated in some way at this thread. Is it that?

This is not related to the layout so I guess technically offtopic.... but what are the extra back zones for?

The zones between the Monster Card Zone and the S/T Zones with the dotted lines are a part of a custom mechanic that I developed. Click on the icon under my posts for more info.

The sideways Zone of the far left is the banish zone, the 6 other zones are for the hand.

Thank you for the comments!!!

I like this idea. The way you display the hand is a little wonky, but other than that, i'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. I've read your Abstract Summon mechanic thread too, and it seems very well thought out. Third times the charm I guess.

That is the Extra Card Zone for Summoning cards from the Extra Deck. It's a new mechanic that will be coming out in the game soon along with Link Summoning.

Just as a note, Link Summoning already exists in OCG if you've paid attention to TCG forum lately (or even in CC, because I know you go in here to some extent); TCG won't get them for another couple months, but yeah.

Design is technically fine for the most part. I suppose that if one doesn't want to use the hand zones, they can just use them as the original S/T zones if opting to play the older version (at least the five that are directly below the current ones). 

As for the banished zone (well, it's not really an official term), I guess you can put it to the left, but most games usually have it to the right of the Graveyard.

===

Iffy on the hand zones though; for your fanfic, might work (but consider what happens if one of your players has 7+ cards in hand; how will you explain that on this design). So yeah, works for fictional purposes, but practicality, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived