The Summoned Nightmare Fuel

Sleepy

y6hMUOX.jpg

DARK Level 10 [Fiend/Effect] 800/1000

Can be Normal Summoned by Tributing 3 monsters. You can use monsters on linked zones from your opponent's side of the field as Tributes for this card's Tribute Summon. When Tributel Summoned: You can target cards up to the number of Tributes used; destroy them, and this card gains 1000 ATK for each card destroyed this way.

The idea is that it can punish your opponent for swarming with Links, though not for bringing out a single Link since nothing would link to it.

It also can use the upward Link pointers from cards such as Decode Talker's to make sure it can Tribute opponent's monsters.

Its stats are made to work with Monarch support.

It's not meant to be a straight-up Kaiju though....

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, corrections, etc welcomed and encouraged~ 

xP

Something that is not clear to me on the first clause: You can use 3 monsters, but can you still Tribute Summon it normally with 2? Or you must use 3 for its Tribute Summon? This is relevant because of the extra bit of flexibility.

You said it's not meant to be Kaiju, but... well, that's pretty much what it is, and even a scarier one IMO because it can take multiples of your opponent's monsters while being less strict than Lava Golem, which goes to the other side, or Ra Sphere Mode, which usually is difficult to set up due the requiring 3 Tributes on either side, but in contrast this can use monsters from both sides. Also those stats make it searchable by Sangan, Witch and other stuff out there, and that's a plus; Slumber aside, a few Kaijus are searchable too, like Dogoran and Jizukiru, but unlike this card they end up on the opponent's side when using them for the disruption.

I wish it had a different typing but that's a personal thing; DARK/Fiend is quite overused and I only like it on few cards like Crazy Box and Dark Highlander, but that's mostly due to their artwork. And this one... I dare to say it looks cute actually, mainly because of the snake head at the furthest right side and of course the pink color, so the DARK/Fiend isn't that fitting for me. Maybe make it a Zombie instead? Ghosts are often given the Zombie type after all, and this looks more like a spirit or ethereal being than a fiend. Also would be a plus since it allows it to be Normal Summonable under Zombie World :v

Squire stats is nice for the extra support, but unfortunately it doesn't get it on your hand, which is where you prefer it to use it's Kaiju-ish effect. A couple of Vassals do can grab it but... yeah, those aren't really played in Monarchs.

Something that is not clear to me on the first clause: You can use 3 monsters, but can you still Tribute Summon it normally with 2? Or you must use 3 for its Tribute Summon? This is relevant because of the extra bit of flexibility.

You said it's not meant to be Kaiju, but... well, that's pretty much what it is, and even a scarier one IMO because it can take multiples of your opponent's monsters while being less strict than Lava Golem, which goes to the other side, or Ra Sphere Mode, which usually is difficult to set up due the requiring 3 Tributes on either side, but in contrast this can use monsters from both sides. Also those stats make it searchable by Sangan, Witch and other stuff out there, and that's a plus; Slumber aside, a few Kaijus are searchable too, like Dogoran and Jizukiru, but unlike this card they end up on the opponent's side when using them for the disruption.

I wish it had a different typing but that's a personal thing; DARK/Fiend is quite overused and I only like it on few cards like Crazy Box and Dark Highlander, but that's mostly due to their artwork. And this one... I dare to say it looks cute actually, mainly because of the snake head at the furthest right side and of course the pink color, so the DARK/Fiend isn't that fitting for me. Maybe make it a Zombie instead? Ghosts are often given the Zombie type after all, and this looks more like a spirit or ethereal being than a fiend. Also would be a plus since it allows it to be Normal Summonable under Zombie World :v

Squire stats is nice for the extra support, but unfortunately it doesn't get it on your hand, which is where you prefer it to use it's Kaiju-ish effect. A couple of Vassals do can grab it but... yeah, those aren't really played in Monarchs.

Yes it is optional, though I probably should have searched for Beast King Barbaros for reference while writing it.

Your opponent needs to have Linked monsters to be Tributed, it can't just grab any monsters. It is meant to be dead in hand if your opponent plays conservatively enough. Even if your opponent is using a 100% Link-focused deck and so are you, their bringing out 2 Link Monsters out will only probably make 1 of them available as Tribute, and you'd need to put up your own work to Link an opponent's monster they didn't Link themselves and make it available Tribute fodder. In theory, that would make it not as splashable as Kaijus, and the real charm is the destroying part of the effect.

But I got an idea, what if it goes to the opponent's side if you Tributed more monsters on the opponent's side than you did from your own? It can only need 2 or 3 so if you use 2 Tributes, it's 1v1, and if you used 3 Tributes, it stays on your side if it was 2v1, but if you used 1v2 it goes to the opponent? It wouldn't drop directly on that side though, it'd change after resolving the destruction effect, otherwise it'd be needlessly confusing on who does it.

I agree DARK Fiend is pretty common, and I did think the same, but DARK Zombie is overused AND more supported than DARK Fiend. It was originally a DARK Spellcaster, kind of like how Relinquished is a Spellcaster too. Though wasn't completely sure on what support that would have.

Yes it is optional, though I probably should have searched for Beast King Barbaros for reference while writing it.

Your opponent needs to have Linked monsters to be Tributed, it can't just grab any monsters. It is meant to be dead in hand if your opponent plays conservatively enough. Even if your opponent is using a 100% Link-focused deck and so are you, their bringing out 2 Link Monsters out will only probably make 1 of them available as Tribute, and you'd need to put up your own work to Link an opponent's monster they didn't Link themselves and make it available Tribute fodder. In theory, that would make it not as splashable as Kaijus, and the real charm is the destroying part of the effect.

Yeah, the opponent can try to play conservatively, but more often than not he/she won't see this card coming, unless you grab it with a searcher, giving you the chance to get a big profit form it. Also, I wouldn't say it's dead while the opponent has no Linked monsters: even Tribute Summoning it with only your monsters will break even after the x2 card pop, plus it becomes a 2800-ATK beater, and that's quite solid on its own, and thus remains splashable. In retrospect, it was my mistake to call it a Kaiju, since it does more than just replacing an opponent's monster.

But I got an idea, what if it goes to the opponent's side if you Tributed more monsters on the opponent's side than you did from your own? It can only need 2 or 3 so if you use 2 Tributes, it's 1v1, and if you used 3 Tributes, it stays on your side if it was 2v1, but if you used 1v2 it goes to the opponent? It wouldn't drop directly on that side though, it'd change after resolving the destruction effect, otherwise it'd be needlessly confusing on who does it.

It would still remain strong, IMO. After tributing your opponent's monsters and destroying cards afterwards, the card did already so much damage that giving it to the opponent matters much less, and at that point it's more like pitying him/her after the big punch you dropped on his/her board xD

An idea for watering down that I had is to only make it destroy cards when you Tributed linked monsters for it. That way it will encourage you to use Linked monsters for its Summon, and won't be as rewarding if you want to Summon it without Linked monsters and the opponent is being conservative. But I don't like this idea that much myself because it would heavily cut down its splashability.

I agree DARK Fiend is pretty common, and I did think the same, but DARK Zombie is overused AND more supported than DARK Fiend. It was originally a DARK Spellcaster, kind of like how Relinquished is a Spellcaster too. Though wasn't completely sure on what support that would have.

Well, the more support, the merrier, right? But there definitely are much more DARK/Fiends than DARK/Zombies. DARK/Spellcaster would work too, and would give access to some cute toys like Dark Renewal, Dark Magic Veil.

So the idea behind being able to summon it with 3 tributes is to get it more attack? I think with certain decks, it can definitely work pretty well, tho something that can take advantage of its defense either switching his position, or his atk/def will be quite deadly to him :o

Also the card art is amazinn

Archived