[MTG] Daily Spoilers April 10th

Flame Dragon

lilianasexpertise.jpg

Liliana's Expertise

3BB

Enchantment

Zombies you control get +1/+1

When Liliana's Expertise enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 Zombie creature tokens.

censor.jpg

Censor

1U

Instant

Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.

Cycling U (U, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

oketrathetrue.jpg

Oketra the True

3W

Legendary Creature - God

Double strike, indestructible

Oketra the True cannot attack or block unless you control at least three other creatures.

3W: Create a 1/1 white Warrior creature token with vigilance.

vizierofthemenagerie.jpg

As some with a Zombie commander deck list I don't think Expertise is good enough. It just costs too much mana and the 2 Zombies doesn't make it worth it.

Censor seems really cool. Solid little counter spell.

When I first saw Oketra I really didn't like her since I knew she would be making tokens and I really hoped she'd do something cooler. That just makes her so similar to Heliod for my liking. However after thinking about it some I'm coming around on her. She is obviously WAY stronger in constructed than Heliod was since the condition for her to be on is super easy. She makes a MUCH more interesting commander since double strike is a very powerful effect making commander damage kills a ton easier. My main issue is running her in the 99 since that is where my interest is the most and there the 3/6 double strike isn't going to be as noteworthy. Any deck not already running Heliod is likely to not want her, but I think I have Heliod in a deck or two so I'll see if I can add her in addition or if I'll just replace him.

A little weird this Vizier isn't legendary. Not sure how good it is. Don't think he does enough for standard and in commander you need a stupid high creature count this to do decent work. Only deck I've made that does is Animar and I'd rather just play actually draw since you still miss 30% of the time. That said, the combo with Oracle of Mul Daya seems insane. Sadly I don't have any copies of her. Also, it is cool that he lets you cast colorless spells with normal mana. Shame we don't have many good ones and you wouldn't run them just because you have this guy now.

Expertise looks alright, its playable but it all depends on what deck you would want to top your curve out with it though.

Censor is hard to evaluate, force spike is not an amazing card other than being a kind of "gotcha" card. Cycling 1 though is a big deal on the other hand. Not as good as miscalculation but the cycling might give it some hope.

Oketra is strong, It's a pretty solid curve topper for any Wx deck that wants to go wide. Gideon is still in standard though so this will probably not see much play until he finally goes away.

Yea, I agree Vizier should of been legendary. He has some nice abilities but hes not that strong overall. I'd play him in some casual or EDH decks though.

Never, sigh. They keep trying to print all these sorcery speed Downfalls. I get they want Sorcery speed removal to matter but with the current quality of creatures and planeswalker threats that need to be dealt with quickly sorcery speed removal just feels bad to play. Not to mention vehicles can ignore it for the most part. At least this one has some grave hate stapled to it so woo!

Honored Hydra, pretty good bomb in limited, not much else to say.

Yea, I don't get why they made another Downfall variant at sorcery speed when Ruinous Path did next to nothing. You can't even say its because of how far out they work since they would have had some time to see that Path was seeing next to no play. Graveyard hate being attached is nice at least.

Hydra is fine.

In other news

pullfromtomorrow.jpg

This card seems insane. Like, holy crap, does it look good.

I'm curious how many of the Aftermath cards are going to have backsides you'd want to shortcut to since that is another use of the discard effects.

Anyway, more cards.

unburden.jpgnehebtheworthy.jpgreducerumble.jpg

Mind Rot with cycling is a nice combo. Though running into your opponents discard effects seems risky.

MINOTAUR EDH!!!! Don't think its good, but its cool people can do it.

Mana Leak at 3 seems reasonable. Rumble is a pretty strong land death effect, and while not something you'd want to run just for the effect alone, getting it for free is REALLY nice.

Ooh, I'm liking a lot of these cards. Seriously, this whole set has looked fascinating. Not every card, obviously, but I found Aether Revolt to be kind of underwhelming, even though more recently, I've found a lot of their cards to be solid enough.

Expertise...it's okay. Buffing Zombies can be troublesome since the deck seems to revolve around spawning those 2/2 tokens. Making them 3/3 tokens is potentially dangerous, but the problem is the high cost. Black in general, for me, has always seemed like a really expensive color, in terms of mana cost. Green as well, but Green usually has the ramp or search effects.

I'm rarely too impressed by counterspells. It's not that I find them "bad", it's just that they're usually so similar that I don't get too intrigued unless they're either very flexible, very cheap, and/or do something extra. Censor is probably good early game, and maybe mid-game, but otherwise, unimpressive, whereas Mana Leak has always been my view of a cheap, flexible, and effective counter, since paying an extra 3 mana can completely halt your turn's play. But before anyone pounces on me in case my view is terribly wrong, even when I ran pure Blue, I never liked relying on Counter spells or the tactic of "counter everything", and I can't deny their effectiveness. Revolutionary Rebuff is kind of like the "middle ground" between Censor and Mana Leak. It's cheap, a little less flexible, and the extra cost of 2 to prevent the counter is troublesome.

The first thing I saw when looking at Oketra was that its Creature Type was "Legendary Creature - Dio", and I found that amusing before realizing that the card was in Spanish, and Dio is "god".

I wasn't too impressed by most of the Gods in the set originally, but I'm starting to come around to them as I think about it more. Oketra is a good example. a 3/6 with Double Strike and Indestructible is beautiful, especially as a 4 drop, and while it can't attack or block unless you have 3 or more other creatures, that doesn't seem too hard to DO, really. White tends to have a bunch of "token spawn" cards, like Servo Exhibition and such. And Oketra itself can spawn 1/1s with Vigilance, which is...all right.

I really like Vizier. It's just kind of cool to be able to look at your top card and cast creatures from the top using any colors. Spectacular? Ehh, probably not in practice. But I really like it anyway.

Never/Return seems okay. It can hit Planeswalkers, for what that's worth, plus bring out a Zombie Token.

Hydra is also pretty cool. I've always had a soft spot for Hydras. This doesn't do any cool buff stuff, but it does Embalm for cheaper than its casting cost, and it's a 6/6.

Pull From Tomorrow...that looks bonkers. I love it. It reminds me of Fascination, actually. *checks* Well, it should. It has the identical mana cost to Fascination, but it doesn't affect both players (and it doesn't have the "mill" option).

Unburden is pretty much Mind Rot with a cycle option, which is nice. Neheb looks pretty cool, but I don't know how many Minotaur creatures there actually are.

Reduce/Rubble...so slightly more expensive Mana Leak, and a land restricting card. Nice enough.

So excited for this set.

Pyramid being a 1-drop actually tempts me to use it in Breya, because loltrinketmage

I'm considering using it in Kurkesh, since I can build it up in half the time other decks can, but I question whether I need it. Gilded Lotus is a combo piece in a combo that is intended to appear out of nowhere, so do I need a slower version? Redundancy is good, but it is really redundant in the way I need it to be, that being, fast and difficult to stop?

Archived