Persona 5

asterr259

qgwkv1h72mp27wpy9kwr.jpg

Shocked this isn't a topic. Even with guides it's still really easy to goof up or be ill-prepared for a dungeon/boss. Some may also be wrong. But those aside I wanted to discuss tips and what you thought/think about the game and it's characters.

[spoiler=Where I'm at]

Trying desperately to beat Kaneshiro's Palace in 1 go. No SP or healing items. Currently Level 26 on the 3rd Floor of the Vault. Debating if I should cut my losses and waste a day. Dungeon pretty much forces you to use SP by demons that resist Phys and laughs at you when you run out.

EDIT: Realized you don't need the ripped pages to progress. You can just write down the code if you know it and proceed up the vents to the type in the last password. I assume it's like this for all the passwords.

Though I wish I knew this much earlier, through my pain, someone's life just got easier.

qgwkv1h72mp27wpy9kwr.jpg

Shocked this isn't a topic. Even with guides it's still really easy to goof up or be ill-prepared for a dungeon/boss. Some may also be wrong. But those aside I wanted to discuss tips and what you thought/think about the game and it's characters.

[spoiler=Where I'm at]

Trying desperately to beat Kaneshiro's Palace in 1 go. No SP or healing items. Currently Level 26 on the 3rd Floor of the Vault. Debating if I should cut my losses and waste a day. Dungeon pretty much forces you to use SP by demons that resist Phys and laughs at you when you run out.

EDIT: Realized you don't need the ripped pages to progress. You can just write down the code if you know it and proceed up the vents to the type in the last password. I assume it's like this for all the passwords.

Though I wish I knew this much earlier, through my pain, someone's life just got easier.

Saw playthroughs. Language was rough, even by Persona standards.

And Kamoshida isn't the first guy of his trope.

The protag has Lupin III, his buddy has Captain Kidd, the cat has the legendary Zorro. You have Ann in your party yet?

Saw playthroughs. Language was rough, even by Persona standards.

And Kamoshida isn't the first guy of his trope.

The protag has Lupin III, his buddy has Captain Kidd, the cat has the legendary Zorro. You have Ann in your party yet?

[spoiler=Yeah] I'm deeper than that. Kaneshiro is the 3rd boss, Kamoshida is the first.

By language I'm guessing you mean the dubbing. My expectations weren't high, so irdc. Yeah, with all piggybanks I was expecting something... piggy for Kaneshiro.

Being someone who doesn't want spoilers and tries to avoid guides as much as possible, at least on the first run, here are some overall things I picked up on. Some are just obvious, others are things I knew beforehand.

[spoiler=Protips]

• Try to reach the Treasure Room on your first try in a Palace. After reaching it, you'll have to go home, eventually send a Calling Card, and come back the day after you do. This gives you more days to spend on jobs, S.Links, or etc.
  • After finding the TR, grind a little before leaving. If you have SP and HP to spare after finding the Treasure Room, gaming 101 says use it, don't go home right away. Unlike most other RPGs where you grind and heal whenever you want, going into Mementos or a Palace wastes a day after you leave it.
  • Save often and remember your Safe Rooms; Safe Room spacing is all over the place. Some are 2 or 3 maps away from each other, and some are down the hall from each other. It's weird.
  • SP is a luxury so use it sparingly, something to remember in all SMT games. Certain vending machines also sell SP restore items. In early game, it's the machine in the School Courtyard and the one in front of the Bathhouse next to Cafe Leblanc. That's about 6 drinks for 30 SP every week, totes worth. Later areas also sell some, like Shinjuku and Akihabara. They restock every Monday, once a week. And later on, once you near finishing Sojiro's Confidant, you can make SP Coffee.
  • Notes equal equal points. Probably something obvious to some, but certain responses or actions causes little music notes to appear over a character's head. Each one counts for +1 point to that stat or character, with +3 being the most you get out of anything. If you're not using a guide, it's just something to know.
  • Check the TV and buy the Plant nutrients. Like in previous games TVs sell things or issue a quiz for Knowledge Points. It's down stairs with Sojiro. Also you can give the plant in your room Nutrients you can buy certain stores. Most of the stores will be signified by a Flower on the map. Doing this gives Kindness. These are 2 things you don't wanna ignore since they don't spend time.
  • Buy Sunday Special Drinks in the Shibuya Under-Walkway. Every Sunday there's a drink stand in Shibuya that sells a 5k yen drink that boosts one of your stats. It's 5k yen, but again something that doesn't spend time.
  • Make Lockpicks the day you send the Calling Card. If you wanna raise Proficiency, I suggest doing so on a job, but up to you. It's nice to have a plethora of Lockpicks ready for those locked chests, but it's also not too hard to save them the day you go back. Yes the Security Level goes up to 99% but most locked chests are relatively close to a Safe Room/the Treasure Room (plus you can lower the Security level to 70% via Ambushes). Again up to you, but gives you more time for other things. Also remember you can save beforehand and reload for more lockpicks. The Max you can get is 3, but eventually you will be able to craft the Eternal Lockpick once you get to a higher Proficiency.
  • Stock up on Side-Quests before going into Mementos. You can do multiple side quests in one go. This saves time on hoping around upper/lower areas and going in and out of Mementos. You get most Side-Quests from Yuuki Mishima, so try to pay attention to his messages. Unlike the others, doing Side-Quests is crucial to finishing his Social Link. Also keep grinding in mind, one trip to Mementos does waste a day. If not for EXP, for Shadows you don't have or just Money. If you find a locked chest, please mind the level of enemies. If the area has low-level enemies, the locked chests give low-level rewards. Something to know if you're going to take my previous advice of "minimal" lockpicks.

Some of these things may be inefficient or just wrong since I'm only into the fourth Palace/August of the game, but again, just things I wish I knew ahead of time. I've noticed a lot of guides online are a little off or don't tell you why to do the things they say, expecting you to blindly and perfectly follow them without any room to improvise. Also I don't want to watch a playthrough before I beat the game myself. Feel free to comment on these tips.

Having just finished the game I can say it's been quite the enjoyable trip. Can't say I've ever finished an 80 hour game in two weeks before.

Atlus did an amazing job at just playing the game feel amazing. Gameplay's nearly flawless and I spent hour after hour just exploring things, fighting, social links, what have you. It never got dull. It was just a seamless enjoyable experience all around.

That said the writing's a bit... all over the place to say the least. The playable cast in particular isn't very well flushed out at least in the events of the plot proper. And the overall plot's a bit of a mess at that.

In general everything about the game opens strong. The first dungeon sets the tone of the game amazingly well. Each character is really interesting until their awakenings and then they fall sorta flat for the rest of the game. And somehow despite all that it was still an incredibly enjoyable time. They weren't bad so it was easy to still like them, woulda just liked to see a little more done in regards of the writing.

I would definitely recommend it to any persona fan. Heck even mainline SMT fans for that matter since gameplay-wise it's a nice blend of the two series. JRPG fans in general would probably enjoy it too. I dunno that I agree with the people saying best jrpg ever or in years but damn I had a good time of it. A new game + will probably be happening sometime in the foreseeable future and there's lots of dlc on the way for them aesthetics.

Archived