I think this is the best place for this, probably.

What kind of stories do you like to read?

How often do you read?

Do you prefer reading chapter-by-chapter and waiting or do you prefer to read them all at once?

How has your reading tastes changed?

What kind of stories would you be willing to try that you haven't?

Do you prefer reading first or third person?

Well almost everything J-Novel Club has is Isekai so it must be that, right? Really though, just a lighthearted take on the kinds of stories and situations that are more often done in Japan, I've come to find.

Do you prefer reading chapter-by-chapter and waiting or do you prefer to read them all at once?

Chapter by chapter would seem to be a good way to describe what has caused me to do more reading non-manga, yes. Sometimes more than one, sometimes less than one, but always what ends up coming out as a "part".

How often do you read?/How has your reading tastes changed?

I used to read very rarely (and mostly for school, at that) and enjoy things like Holes and Harry Potter (not even any comics at the time and now non-manga comics would be very rare still), and I bet I still would enjoy similar things if they catch my interest enough, but I mostly read manga, and now light novels almost every day with the very accessible way of reading the that J-Novel Club has introduced. 

*looks both ways* Yaoi. But I haven't actually read any, and the one anime that I have, got push to the wayside with some others that I just did not have time for at the time. Technically it would be more towards the shounen-ai that I would try, but I tend not to want to say shounen/shoujo-ai since in Japan that is the equivalent of literally saying you love children.

Eh... I could be wrong but most light novels seem to be first person, Grimgar kinda threw me for a loop in that regard, but I don't actually have a preference.

I think this is the best place for this, probably.

How often do you read?

How has your reading tastes changed?

1. Honestly not really sure. Lately I've been reading a lot of books by Japanese authors (well, I did spend an entire year reading Japanese literature [as "filler" courses], both old and modern stuff). Not saying that Western authors are bad, but that's generally my reading material nowadays.

Spring: Mostly compilations of poetry (Man'yōshū, [shin]kokinshū, renga, haikai no ku) and selected noh plays, plus The Tale of Genji (abridged).

Fall: Stuff concentrated on pre-modern Japan (or least stuff set in post-Edo) and beyond.

Also fanfiction and novelizations of certain anime/manga. (I would've liked to have read the novelization for Naruto: The Last, if it were in English)

2. Daily (for textbooks; obviously), variable (others)

Right now, it's a few books for Japanese American studies (some dealing with them as a population in the country, and others confined to Hawaiʻi as a whole [current]); some of these were written by my professors as life recollections. Also a collection of excerpts from Hawaiian religion (or least explanations into it from 19th century scholars as compiled by my current instructor; it's still ongoing research).

Most of the stuff I read nowadays is literally manga, drawing books or Japanese for beginners.

3. Reading chapter by chapter, especially if stories are really long. Recent stuff I've read varies from being short enough to requiring a couple days to read through.

Manga is usually the entire thing in one shot; can read fast enough to do so.

4. See answer to [1]; used to read stuff like Harry Potter and stuff in the past; now that's kind of changed to Asian literature and fanfics (think I mentioned writing one when Aix made a similar thread in Fanfics).

5. Really not sure on this; maybe books written by other Asian authors (as in maybe China or something). Probably would go back to Western literature / books if they can come up with something that interests me. (My parents like reading a lot of big mystery novels; something I don't really want to read because not my thing.)

6. Most of the stuff I read is in third person; some in first. But otherwise, I don't really have a preference.

Archived