[Leaderboard] Aez vs (parenthesis)! A Battle of Seismic Proportions!

ÆƵ–

Rules:
All Leaderboard rules apply
First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.
All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.
Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
Card C votes are allowed in case the voter thinks both cards don't deserve a vote but must elaborate on why he/she thinks so.
Cards must be PM'd to me.
Written cards are allowed.
Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity
In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:
The deadline for cards is 48 hours after challenge has been accepted.
The deadline for votes is 96 hours (4 days) after cards have been posted.
In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

1st place gets a rep from 2nd place.
All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:
Rocks. Make a card that supports Rock-types. Doesn't have to be a rock-type itself if you choose to make a monster.

GOGOGO

[spoiler=Card A]

hKbOFcp.png

Megarock Monstrosity

Level 9/ EARTH

Rock/ Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by shuffling up to 3 of your banished Rock-Type monsters (min 1) into your deck. This card gains 1200 ATK for each monster card returned to your Main Deck this way. During either player's turn: You can tribute 1 EARTH monster from your hand or your side of the field to target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle that card into its owner's Deck, then send 1 Rock-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Megarock Monstrosity" once per turn.

0 ATK/ 3000 DEF

[spoiler=Card B]

Sedimentary, My Dear

Continuous Spell

Rock-Type monsters you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If a Rock-Type monster(s) you control is removed from the field by an opponent's card: You can discard 1 card; Add 1 Rock-Type monster from your deck to your hand. You must control a face-up Rock-Type monster to activate and resolve this effect. If you have 5 or more Rock-Type monsters in your Graveyard while you control this face-up card: You can destroy this card; Special Summon Rock-Type monsters from your Graveyard who's Level equal the number of Rock-Type monsters in your Graveyard at the time of this effect's activation. You can only activate 1 "Sedimentary, My Dear" per turn.

You have to explain why you're voting for card A with details (well, explain stuff about both cards, then reach a conclusion). So yeah, as much as I rarely use this, going to reject the vote until an explanation is given. 

(See section rules for veto powers)

Man even when I was a moderator of this entire forum category, I never knew the rules of the contest sections. So... fair enough.

Card B to me has one thing going for it. The name. It doesn't quite fit the rock-type theme at all and is more or less a generic card. While not bad, its flat. Boring. Shows almost no understanding of what the type is. Which glossing over the "rock-type" search function on Devpro, assures me that even after all this time field presence is secondary to utility. Card B insists on field presence over utility. No go.

Card A while requiring it certainly does adhere to utility over field presence. You can drop it for almost no cost and get that rock slide going. It does what it has to and walls or goes for a quick burst of damage. Card A gets my vote for this.

I vote for Card A.

Megarock Monstrosity synergises rather well with existing Rock support such as Block Dragon and Gaia Plate the Earth Giant, putting Rocks that they banish back into the deck. The part of the effect that mills a Rock can trigger Revival Golem and Tackle Crusader, or set up a Block Dragon if needs be. It further synergises with Block Dragon in its ability to Tribute a Block Dragon you control to trigger its effect, netting a massive search. Level 9 opens up Rank 9 plays with Cloudcastle (ideally made with Block Dragon + Glow-up Bulb, but something like Revival Golem + Sea Monster of Theseus is also viable), and not being even a semi-nomi means you don't even have to summon it properly first. Its quick shuffle effect works perfectly with decks such as Rock Stun, while also granting strong control elements to other Rock decks.

Thematically, the word Megarock evokes Megarock Dragon, a classic if outclassed Rock-Type beatstick. The fact that it has a mill effect tacked to its already powerful shuffle effect reminds me of Rock Bombardment and Catapult Zone.

Card B on the other hand, protects your Rocks from being destroyed by card effects, something that Block Dragon already does. Such redundancy is at the very least poor taste when it comes to card design. The search effect reminds me of Pendulum Magicians' Pendulumgraph of Ages, but having to be triggered by your opponent, requiring you to still control a Rock to use, and requiring a discard, meaning that it is actually a net minus after only one use. It also lacks synergy with itself, because it triggers when your opponent removes your Rocks, but hinders them in doing so. Finally, the Summon from Grave effect not only requires a large amount of Rocks in grave for a deck which is continually banishing them, but is also so poorly worded that I can't quite work out what it's supposed to do.

Thematically, its name an extremely out of the blue pun, with seemingly no relation to its effect.

Card A wins, no contest.

Might as well vote in this one too while I'm here.

Card A

Well, Block Dragon, Megarock and Gaia Plate (if people still use this) have ways to recover the monsters you banished to summon it, and even help in making this card a force to be reckoned with if you go the maximum. Otherwise, it's still a relatively cheap 3k wall for Rocks if you can only afford to banish less than that (or only 1). The bouncing effect is fine, considering most Rocks are EARTH anyway, and you get a Foolish Burial alongside it; for what it's worth, discard something like another Block Dragon or remove another Rock-Type from your field, bounce something and get banish fodder for either Megarock/Block; whatever you need to. So yeah, it synergizes well with existing Rock support

Card B

As mentioned above, Block Dragon technically already protects Rocks from getting blown up by effect removal; most this does (that isn't already taken care of) is just offer non-destructive targeting protection (so basically bouncing effects or quick negation like Castel/101/whatever). While Rocks do need a generic searcher of their own, this card requires you to keep another Rock on board, THEN discard to search. Yeah, you can set up the Graveyard for Block, but as they are, it's more effort than it's worth just to search something (it's a -1). Already mentioned, but this card's protection effect blocks the opponent from doing much to destroy you unless they outmuscle you in battle, so it's counterproductive. Also the fact that while this card can revive multiple monsters, most of the time, you can only summon smaller stuff unless you can mill heavily via Catapult Zone or something; plus the fact that Rocks technically have more reliable revival (or ones that don't require you to have a certain number of Rocks to do stuff)

====

So yeah, card A gets vote without question.

B really only offers non-destructive protection and I think that sort of stuff is rare right now, searching effect minuses you every time and conflicts with this card's own protection effects and the revival effect is too costly / doesn't yield a high return to make it worth playing.

Accepted.

3-0 A.

Nice job, 'renth. In my rush to make a card, I forgot about block dragon. Which is funny, because I played triamids for a bit. In fact, I forgot that triamids are some what of an oddity in that they have pretty good field presence.

Archived