YCM Easter Event 2017

Flash Flyer - Sakura

13_%5BNw%5DYCMEasterLogo.png

Welcome to the 2017 YCM Easter Egg Hunt.

Objective

There are 40 eggs for you to find.

24 of them are easy, 16 are challenge.

Challenge eggs do not have their picture shown, and the hints are either more vague or require you to do computations.

Some of them WILL require that you solve academic problems of varying degrees that incorporate Pop Culture and other things.

Deadline

May 3rd, 2017 @ 11:59 pm HST

I will not end this event early if someone finds all the eggs; also, results will be announced a few days later.

Rulebook

1. Once you see this thread, the games have begun.

2. When you find the location of an egg, PM me with your findings (either with the name of the thread you found it in, or the member profile that it's in).

Use that same PM to notify me of future finds, so it is easier for you and I to keep track of your progress.

3. Be warned that some of the Easter eggs from 2014-2016 may not have been removed. Do NOT get them confused with the current eggs; 

4. Eggs will always be in the first post in a thread and on the 'About Me' page of a members profile. They are not hidden in spoilers nor in member signatures.

The standard eggs will usually be hidden within threads on the first few pages and members you generally know by now. Challenge eggs will be hidden on more obscure member profiles or threads buried far back in the archives.

Hints are your best friend in figuring out the members/threads, whether they're provided here or implicitly given in other areas. Use them to your advantage in tracking them down.

(Some of the eggs are linked to each other, so if you can't find one of them, you cannot access the others)

5. This is an individual event; if you find an egg's location, then keep it to yourself.

6. If an egg is in your profile and you participate, that egg won't count towards your final score unless you manage to find every single other one.

7. Whoever has the most eggs by the end of this event wins, however those of you who find a certain number of them will receive smaller prizes.

8. All standard YCM rules apply.

9. You can ask questions about the event, but not further hints about where certain eggs are; you need to figure it out on your own. Anything about solving some of the computational work can be asked (however I will leave some helper info beneath the hints).

[spoiler=Prizes]

Whoever finds all of the eggs at the end of the tournament wins a permanent member group and 200,000 points, plus a banner.

Runner-up gets 2 months in a member group of their choice (or extension for those who have one, except VIP) and 75,000 points.

(If no one finds all the eggs, the requirements to obtain the bigger prizes will be scaled based on results.)

Those who find at least 20 eggs will be allowed 1 month in an Easter Egg Hunter usergroup.

Those who find at least 10 eggs get a small logo.

[spoiler=Easter Eggs 2017]

GHVnPFp.png

These are the first 24 eggs; you're on your own for finding 25 - 40 (challenge eggs).

All eggs will have YCM 2017 beneath.

[spoiler=HINTS]

NORMAL

1. Eh brah, who you wen' stay with in bed?

2. Laying down the darkest of laws.

3. Can the AI play with the content in here correctly?

4. Torn in war, he was; now he has risen.

5. As Flash Star, I had fun with this.

6. Some Kanaka Māoli have been wanting this for a long time.

7. "I'm not here to play with you"

8. ITT, we bid a fond farewell to one of the best officers we've had on the force.

9. "Hey, you got any grapes?"

10. We waited 20 years for Satoshi to kiss a girl on-screen.

11. Was the third highest officer on the force for a good while.

12. If I ever needed a reason to pick up drawing, this is one of those times.

13. A veteran of old YCM and my longing serving partner in the ZPD until Chief Bogo fired him for inactivity.

14. Akatsuki remembers him as a long-forgotten veteran.

15. You kids made me do a video, and not one of you even bothered to challenge yourselves past April.

16. A quarter of an anthropomorphic feline.

17. By the time this gets added to YCM, we're probably several years too late. 

18. I've been considered for modship at some point in time.

19. Tonight on YCM Network, we learn how to make Asian food.

20. Gundam lover with the face of a legend and the name of a ninja.

21. Kahu Aliʻi ʻEhā aʻo Hawaiʻi

22. "It's probably best if you don't have a predator as a partner."

23. Someone needs to rewrite the training manual for JAL, hmm?

24. He who exists between 155.5 and 160.2 of the setting sun and 19.6 to 22.1 of the northern lights; call number 032-9618.

CHALLENGE

25. Prancer (reindeer) has a mass of 114 kg and is on a truss joint (12. 15) meters from point O. Calculate the moment and determine where I am.

26. Remember the area where you get inspiration, for you will need it.

27. Judy Hopps weighs 28 lb and stands on a steel beam bridge 20 ft to right of point A. Nick Wilde weighs 80 pounds and stands 10 ft to the left of her. Clawhauser, Fangmeyer, Chief Bogo, Wolfard weigh 300, 270, 2,000 and 149 lb, respectively, and also stand 25, 35, 43 and 51 ft, respectively to the right of point A. The other officers in the ZPD (McHorn, Pennington, Higgins, Snarlov, Delgato, etc) exert a distributed load of 1.1 kip/ft over a span of 16 ft and there exists a 5 ft gap between Wolfard and the other officers. Calculate 20.82794x the highest absolute value of the shear (in lb) generated by the forces to find me. The bridge is supported by a pin at A and roller at B.

(Treat the weight of the named ZPD members as point loads and assume that the bridge is in equilibrium; neglect the weight of the beam.)

28. Yuki Usagi has some competition in terms of waifu status, now does she?

29. Fear and hysteria always works, and I'll shoot every predator in Zootopia to keep it like that.

30. A legend of carnage from long ago.

31. Sakura's not the only reindeer around here.

32. Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde drive their 4,200-lb police vehicle with a velocity of 60 miles per hour. They intercept two of Bellwether's henchmen (Jesse and Woolter), both of whom weigh 350 lb and charge towards them at 40 miles per hour. If this is an elastic collision, calculate the velocity in which the sheep will be sent flying back [in feet/hour].

Assume the following:

[1] Judy weighs 28 lb

[2] She, Nick and their police car are treated as one body

[3] Jesse/Woolter are also one body. 

​It will be in your best interest to remember the result you get and round it to an integer to find the egg you want.

33. The holidays may be over, but we're still around all year if you want us.

34. Calculate ∬ 173 dx dy when x [6, 12] and y [131, 466] + ∬ 2 dx dy when x [5, 10] and y [3, 242], then use this result to find the hidden egg.

35. True to its dex description, the holder of this egg is hidden from sight. Using all the resources you have is a necessity.

36. If you really are a trainer, you'll look back at what you did and how to improve next time.

37. This is my list, now give me what I want.

38. Here to give you the hint is Judy Hopps; read carefully.

[spoiler=Pic]

JGVL8V5.jpg?2

39. 「光の中を疾走する聖なる馴鹿、今ここで降臨せよ、奇跡の勝利を進め!」

("Sacred reindeer dashing through the light, here and now descend, and advance towards the miracle of victory!")

(May help if you look up names in another language; there is a hint buried in the other egg locations that may help you locate this.)

40. Do you remember the day spambots took over YCM?

[spoiler=Helper clues]

27 and 38

Both of these require you to sum forces about a 2-D axis (however all given forces point in the y-direction). Keys to figuring them out are knowing what sort of reactions to expect on a pin and roller.

27 has a distributed load; you need to determine where the centroid of that is on the beam (or the point where all the load is distributed) when summing forces.

38 is a truss problem that can be solved using method of joints.

Draw a free-body diagram when necessary (this means, isolate the forces from the structure and determine what forces you need to look for).

========

25 requires moment calculation, however you should be able to use a 2-D approach to solve it quickly; you can do cross product if necessary.

34 is a simple double integral; just do a standard 1 dimensional integral with dx, and then integrate the result with dy. Otherwise, you can run it through WolframAlpha or something.

iU8EggM.png

Alright then, let the games begin!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question, how many pages does "first few" qualify as? Just making sure I don't need to needlessly check page 7s of a forum.

Usually the first 3 or 4 for the standard eggs; challenge eggs may go further than that. I'll let you know right now that two of the challenge eggs are in areas from 2011-2013 but in sections that aren't particularly busy (compared to others). 

====

Also a note that I reviewed the hint for #27, and modified the multiplier after checking the necessary diagrams.

What's this "Cepheus" thing that apparently has to do with the Easter Egg Hunt?

And if it doesn't have anything to do with TCG, could you move it to Misc?

Oh my god suck it up buttercup.

Do the event or ignore it ffs. The existence of cepheus doesn't harm you in any way.

It can't be moved because IPboard is fucky.

I obviously can't make any kind of official statement, but knowing what it is, it will probably just disappear again. And trust me, if you knew what was in there, you would really just be let down.

Then why does it matter so much for you to protect it if its contents are so meaningless?

I'll reveal the locations at the end of the event anyway, so you guys will get a look into what Cepheus / its contents are. Do it while you can though. 

(Not like a lot of the content in there is interesting to look at)

===

NOTE:

Egg 28 is a normal member account that can be accessed via the member list as usual. However, you need to think "why is Yuki Usagi relevant to this hint?". Reminder that Yuki Usagi was a hint from 2015 (also as a challenge egg), so take that into consideration. 

If an egg is on a hidden profile, then your best interest will be to look in other places; even the Shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Easter 2017 event is a wrap (well, at least finding the eggs anyway). I would've liked to have started this before Easter, but things came up and well, you know what came next.

Now for the fun part: Revealing the results, and where the eggs were hidden:

LEADERBOARD

• Giga/Parenthesis (40)
  • Aria (34)
  • Sanaki (17)
  • Klondike (16)
  • ~BS~ (12 / 13)
  • Fusion/Chaosix (11)
  • Roxas (4 / 5)

Yeah, only 8 members participated (and/or gave me any notes about their findings). BS/Roxas have slash numbers because one of the eggs they found were on their respective profiles.

[spoiler=And now for the big reveal]

[spoiler=Master list]

jRws7n6.png?1

25 - 40 were cropped out of the list you were given.

1. "You wake up to the above user's avatar"

2. Black Enforcer

3. Top of the YGOPro forum in Advanced.

4. Striker

5. Season 15 Postseason 1-1

6. Native sovereignty

7. ~BS~

8. Black's resignation thread

9. Zai

10. XY thread

11. Roxas

12. Crayon Corner

13. Zextra

14. El Make

15. PSOTW finals

16. Catman25

17. My Link Monster template

18. Darj/Voltex

19. YCM Cooking Thread

20. Kotaro

21. [sakura PKMN] Land Spirits of Alola / Akua nui o Hawaiʻi

22. Armz (NOT the real one)

23. How to play MPB query thread

24. WTFauKorean

(12 member / 12 thread and forum)

25. Snow Flyer - Prancer

26. Card Planning thread

27. ZPD thread

28. Zoodiac Bunnyblast

29. Mayor Bellwether

30. Zai's RP

31. Flash Flyer - Kaori

32. ZPD Officer - Hopps

33. Flyer thread 2.0

34. Age Game 2.0

35. KikairyuLatias

36. Easter 2016 results

37. This thread

38. ZPD Partners Hopps/Wilde

39. Champion Snow Flyer - Rudolph

40. YCM: The RP (Strike of the Spambots)

(8 member / 8 thread and forum)

[spoiler=General logic]

1. Think about where one would be sleeping with other people. (That thread in Games comes to mind)

2. Dark Law references.

3. Where do we have AIs mentioned; also because custom coding in YGOPro and the AI really does suck at playing customs (though it has at times been very resourceful)

4. First part of the clue references Striker's original name in reverse; as stated before, I either wasn't around when he did stuff in the past or just didn't care; think the latter because I did join before him.

5. Requires you to remember what Flash Star's theme was, and how that is relevant. (In this case, Flash Star has a certain red-nosed reindeer as an avatar, and I tried to IC in his voice for voting due to the theme)

6. Might help if you translate what Kanaka Maoli is.

7. ~BS~'s user title

8. As far as YCM users are concerned, they saw Black as one of the best; despite his own shortcomings on the team (and some other back history)

9. Zai/Gadjiltron contributed this hint, so ask them what the logic was behind this one.

10. If you watched XY/Z, this should be easy.

11. Consider post count for the mod team at the time hint was written; I was #2 behind Black until he resigned in late February, so you either had Roxas or LZ. Also recall LZ has been VERY inactive and took a while to axe him.

12. Drawing club

13. Requires you to remember who was my CC co-mod for a very long time. And yes, Chief Bogo = evilfusion.

14. Either you were in Akatsuki or know a lot of old vets.

15. Night-themed clue, because it is buried in Graphic Competitions. (Though, someone did make a sprite contest in September but yeah)

16. What's 1/4 of 100, and what do you call an anthro cat?

17. Taking jabs at how long it takes YCMaker to add stuff.

18. Recall who we have mentioned for modship a couple times in the past.

19. Cooking thread

20. Remember older members and their interests. Considering Kotaro is an old member who is now gone, unless you look through every member profile, this probably wouldn't come easy.

21. Translate that into English, and figure out how that's relevant. (Or you can look in my signature)

22. That was a Zootopia quote from Nick; now who else besides me featured that quite heavily. (I suspect some of you tried to search for the original Armz when finding this egg; that's just an inactive duplicate account that got modified.)

23. What does Japan Airlines have to do with the hint? Airplanes (and flight manual was how to build the Deck)

24. Roughly the coordinates for Hawai'i, and then use that other piece of info I gave you in the form of a phone number.

25. This one required that you know how to calculate 2-D moments (which is very simple; either use the formula M = Fd or do a cross product). The result you got was either the point values that were on this account or 10x the post count. (And yes, that is one of my avatars; well, some of you have seen it on Discord)

26. Where do you get design help? Also important that you find this egg; else #37 would be impossible to find / access unless by sheer luck.

27. Required that you know how to set up FBD, sum moments when needed and then draw shear diagrams given loading. Here, I'll provide the free body and shear diagrams I used to solve this problem.

(1 kip = 1000 lb; it is something used often in engineering applications. It is also important that you do not convert the measurements to SI units, or you will get screwed up. Though I think I told you guys to use the specified units.)

[spoiler=You should've done something similar]

Due to rounding to 3 sig figures, the resulting values are slightly skewed. As my instructor likes to mention, "after the 3rd figure, we do not know what is going on in the material". However, it should only be a difference of about 3 or so pounds, negligible compared to the 17.2 kip shear you would've needed to have found.

x7nZ4ru.png

yAEWf2g.png

28. There are people who considered Bunnyblast/Rabbina as a waifu; Yuki Usagi was mentioned because she's a rabbit also.

29. Should be very simple to find out, once you know who says the quote. (Yeah, Zootopia themed)

30. Descriptor of Zai's old RP (or one he participated in). You need to change the filter in RP to find this one (and #40).

31. One idea could be to locate members who have the same name structure as mine.

32. Calculate the resultant velocity in ft/h, then figure out how that is relevant. Obviously this value is too large to be post count or thread ID; however points and member ID are passable.

33. If you remember Flyers 1.0 from last year, this might've helped you. (Also hid it in the Archive forum)

34. Do both integrals, add them and figure out what makes sense given that number. Yes, this was a literal double integral; albeit the easier version in Cartesian coordinates. (I originally was going to have you integrate 173[x], but then forgot about it when I solved the hint, so it got removed.

35. Think about Latias's dex entry / ID number, and find something relevant. You needed to look in the shop for this one, because Eon Dragon is a hidden usergroup that will not show up on the member list.

(KikairyuLatias is one of the names I use online; not here, but yeah)

36. Where would you see results and determine how to improve? (Also tried to borrow a bit from Grimsley's quotes from Gen 5)

37. You needed #26 to get here, but once you do, should be easy going. Yeah, this was an actual forum locked away since the Middle Ages of MyBB YCM. Get a good look at everything while you still can.

(Original plan was for Cepheus to be a gateway into that forum, but since the password thing had infinite redirect errors, I had to modify it. Also the music you hear playing when you enter is Soulcalibur 2 music; specifically Into the Whirlwind and Windshadow; that's where the name came from.)

38. Set up FBD, analyze the truss given, sum the forces based on calculations (break them into Fx and Fy components), find the magnitude of the resultant (which should just be in the y-direction as Fx should sum to 0) and guess how that is relevant. (In this case, reps and post count)

This was derived from a problem in my statics textbook [which I solved], hence the problem # (I modified the values, and used the gravity in this state as opposed to standard [yeah, it really is 9.75 m/s^2])

[spoiler=FBD]

cBGXmF7.png

39. You can either take a note from 33 or follow what I wrote as a suggestion; find name in other languages.

40. Think about a time when YCM was infested with spambots (even more than now); like with #30, you need to change the filter in RP to locate it. Surprisingly, this one was found more often compared to #30, which was more recent.

[spoiler=Overall thoughts]

I do wish that more participation was in here, but considering this was done at a time where many of us are doing final projects and stuff, I suppose it could not be helped. That, and some of you mentioned burning out after a while. (I know Sethera told me that they were busy with school, and wouldn't have time to really go all out)

As for the challenge eggs, I did have you all do harder computational work on three of them, yes (27, 34 and 38 would've proven difficult for a lot of you due to the content being stuff you'd learn in college if you pursue a major that requires this). 25 and 32 can be solved with high school physics or simply knowing how to calculate resultant velocities from elastic collisions / 2-D moments. That's why I left a help guide underneath for them.

(That being said, some of you did get lucky with a couple of them)

I did said that the challenge eggs were going to be more cryptic / harder to find. That's why they're called "challenge eggs"; you actually have to work for them, though they could've been easier, yes. (At the same time, they actually need to prove a challenge). With that being said though, 22-24 weren't found often by users, though they did find the challenge eggs.

28 WAS a member account in the open; not hidden like some of you assumed. (Bunnyblast is a rabbit, hence why Yuki Usagi in the clue)

So yeah, I'll leave this open for a few days, then award prizes. I do need to mention that I have finals this coming week, so I won't be able to award prizes until stuff ends.

Feel free to mention how you managed to find the eggs you found individually.

Archived