Advanced Spell Cards [Written]

Fukato

An idea about Spell Cards. By the name Advanced attached to it, activating 1 is like an Advanced Summon (Tribute Summon) but for Spells. Their layout is like this.

(Card Name)

Advanced (Spell Card Type)

(Cost)

(Effect)

To activate the Advanced Spell Cards, you have to pay the cost, for example:

Cards From Beyond the Heart

Advanced Normal Spell Card

2 Normal Spell Cards

Effect: Draw 3 cards, then send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard.

Costs can be from the hand or field, but never from the Graveyard unless the cost or effect says so. The cost is to send them into the Graveyard, meaning if there is a floodgate like Macro Cosmos that banishes any cards going in the Graveyard, these Advanced Spell Cards cannot be activated unless it specifies to banish the cards instead. For example:

Deny Response

Advanced Quick-Play Spell Card

Banish 1 Spell Card on the field

Effect: If your opponent activates a card effect in response to your card effect: Negate the activation of that card, and if you do, banish it.

Advanced Quick-Play Spell Cards can be played during either player's turn and are still considered Speed 2. Furthermore Advanced Spell Cards have their own region next to the Extra Deck FACE-UP. There can only be a maximum of 10 Advanced Spell Cards in each player's Advanced Deck. If Advanced Spell Cards are returned into the Deck somehow, they go back into their Advanced Deck. Also, they are treated as Spell Cards too.

Here are some more cards.

Vortex Hole

Advanced Normal Spell Card

1 Normal Spell Card

Effect: Target 2 cards on the field; banish them.

Vortex World

Advanced Field Spell Card

1 Field Spell Card + 1 Spell Card

Effect: If you activate an Advanced Spell Card: You can add 1 Spell Card from your Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster from your hand; shuffle up to 2 Spell Cards from your Graveyard into your Deck.

Mind Vortex

Advanced Continuous Spell Card

1 Continuous Spell Card

Effect: All monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each Spell Card in your Graveyard. You can banish 1 Advanced Spell Card from your Graveyard; your opponent places 1 card from their hand to the top of their Deck. You can only use this effect of "Mind Vortex" once per turn.

Now if there are any questions, please comment and ask me. Otherwise, why not make some yourself and see how it plays out!

I swear I need to ask permission for a kind of CC Comment Page when I want to say something on things like this... not that I do it often enough to warrant there even being such a thing. ANYWAY...

I have to ask you a very important question.

But not to hail on your parade, but what about this makes it a worthwhile design change over just tacking it onto the normal card text and calling it a "Spell Card" sans "Advanced" prefix? Wyrms at first were just that (stopgap measure to prevent Dragons from having all the banned cards ever), Psychics sort of still are. Is there any threat it would pose to the balance of a traditional Spell Card? Would it be developed enough to facilitate the change beyond gimping them?

Its not mundane to keep the existing card types, but it is negative to create one where an Archetype or keeping them as is would do you better.

Archived