[Leaderboard] UltimateIRS vs Bellringer Angel

UltimateIRS

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by deadline wins.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes or else the vote will be rejected.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Card C votes are allowed in case the voter thinks both cards don't deserve a vote but must elaborate on why he/she thinks so.
  • Cards must be PM'd to me.
  • Both participants must approve both cards to help prevent functional and grammatical errors.
  • Cards will be posted in written format to help ensure anonymity.
  • In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

• The deadline for cards is 48 hours after challenge has been accepted.
  • The deadline for votes is 96 hours (4 days) after cards have been posted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

• Create a Level 5 or higher Tuner monster

[spoiler=Card A]Shapeshifting Monster of Theseus
WATER, Level 5
Zombie/Tuner/Effect
If you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then this card's ATK and DEF become 0 until the end of this turn. During your Main Phase: You can increase or reduce this card's Level by the number of cards in your hand, and if you do, this card cannot be used as an Xyz Material until the end of this turn. If this card is sent to the Graveyard for a Synchro Summon: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field that has a Level; increase or reduce its Level by the number of cards in your hand, and if you do, it cannot be used as an Xyz Material until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Shapeshifting Monster of Theseus" once per turn.
ATK 2200/DEF 1800

[spoiler=Card B]Thunderstorm Dragon
LIGHT, Level 10
Thunder/Synchro/Tuner/Effect
2 Tuners + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Must be either Synchro Summoned, or Special Summoned by its own effect, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. If a Tuner monster you control declares an attack: You can target 1 card on the field; negate the attack, and if you do, destroy that card, also inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. If this card leaves the field: You can banish 2 other Tuner monsters from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.
ATK 3400/DEF 2800

Honestly both cards reek of terrible and overly neutered for the sake of being neutered. There really is no practical way to use Card A except having an empty field, which is dangerous, and Card B has too many restrictions on it that bring down its overall usage. It also has a really weird Special Summon effect: from where does it Special Summon itself from when it leaves the field? The Deck, the Graveyard? Where exactly does it state it's SS'ed from?

If one were to get my vote, I would have to say Card A, because despite all its setbacks, it's still more practical than Card B because you can still get rid of it from your hand and use it for something, bottom line.

Honestly both cards reek of terrible and overly neutered for the sake of being neutered. There really is no practical way to use Card A except having an empty field, which is dangerous, and Card B has too many restrictions on it that bring down its overall usage. It also has a really weird Special Summon effect: from where does it Special Summon itself from when it leaves the field? The Deck, the Graveyard? Where exactly does it state it's SS'ed from?

If one were to get my vote, I would have to say Card A, because despite all its setbacks, it's still more practical than Card B because you can still get rid of it from your hand and use it for something, bottom line.

I would like to note that your thoughts on Card A's usage are pretty weird because at worst, it's still technically a Gofu, which is a pretty good card.

vote still accepted though (unless IRS disagrees)

I'll need more elaboration on both cards. You haven't said anything about Card A's Level modification effects, and you haven't elaborated on why you believe Card B is overly restricted or said anything about its destruction effect.

To answer your question about Card B's Summon effect, it Summons itself from wherever it ends up after leaving the field, whether it is sent to the Graveyard, banished, or returned to the Extra Deck. If it's Summoned from the Extra Deck by its own effect and is then sent to the Graveyard or banished, it cannot use its effect again as it is no longer treated as having been properly Synchro Summoned.

Good thing, now let's see.

CARD A: Another Gofu is always nice (UTIMAYAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!) a nice card to open your hand with, but not only that, it's a freaking zombie (Shiranuiiiiii!!!!), which means you can revive it later with Mizuki (or Book of Life haahaaaaah). Level manipulating effects are always good in Synchro.deks, they always abuse the s*** out of dem (Level Eater, Mare Mare, Accel Synchron, Uni-Zombie? , etc...), but this card didn't do it right: Being based on your hand is kind of situational and bad imo,yeah yeah you can set Spells and Traps to get the right number, but what if you can't? What if you had a cloggy hand? What if you weren't able to get the right number you want. I hope you get the point.

CARD B: I always hated this requirement "2 tuners" UUUUGGGHGHHH *muffled screams* Interesting card actually, and seriously dangerous alongside "Double or Nothing!" but by doing so we will end up raping the consistency so nay. That floating effect is amazingly good, and in case you have enough setup in your Graveyard, this card might worth the resources spent on its Summoning (Level Eater shenanigans) and holy gays you might even end up FTKing your opponent if you have 16 Tuners in your Graveyard (That grass looks greener might help).

Overall, both cards are amazing, but I think I will choose card A, since it's a more generic (and balanced) card. I hope I didn't screw up.

Just for a sidenote, CC is theoretically TCG hybrid, so while we still use the banlist for our area, Links are still fair game. But since you guys said this is still ARC-V format, then that's what I'll grade this under. (You have an option for either this or the new format)

===

Card A

So basically, you made a CyDra clone of Sea Monster that arguably does a lot more than just a free Level 5 Tuner (i.e. instant Star Eater or some other high Level Synchro from 2 cards; assuming you can keep hand advantage) and screw over Xyz stuff at the same time (mess up Levels). The Xyz lock won't do much unless you use Urgent Tuning or something, so most you end up with is just changing a monster's Level to something else. Sea Monster is already good (though you can attribute that to Instant Fusion for the most part); here, it's essentially better. Granted though, you do need an empty field to really go into those said plays (and it's not like Dimensional Barrier and Strike are things).

Card B

OK...we have one of those Double Tuning monsters (nothing wrong with that, but only Deck that can really do that efficiently is either Jack/Resonator.dek or dead Crystrons if they can't make their new toy). I guess you could use weak Tuners to trigger this card's effect, blow stuff up and burn, but how often are you going to have multiple Tuners out to use this effect (except itself). I suppose this is a Tuner for the sake of its own effect, but really, you're not going to be tuning this with anything (except to maybe go into Ultimaya/Bishilbaalkin if you can be bothered to). Last effect is kinda meh; yes, it's revival and 1K burn, but on a regular basis, you'll probably going to do it only once and that's it; least looking into Decks that HAVE Tuners to burn.

====

As much as I don't think ripping off Sea Monster is a good idea for cardmaking, A gets this one; as it does have a use somewhere.

Archived