Balanced Card Design At Its Finest

Snatch Steal

Fire King High Avatar Hanuman

✪ (8)

FIRE

[ Beast-Warrior / Effect ]

During either player's turn: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then destroy all monsters on the field. You must control only FIRE monsters (min. 1) in order to activate and resolve this effect. If you Special Summon a "Fire King" monster: You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, then destroy 2 monsters on the field. You can only use this effect of "Fire King High Avatar Hanuman" once per turn. If this card is destroyed by card effect: You can add 1 "Fire King" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. When this card is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon 1 "Fire King Avatar" monster from your Deck.

ATK 2400 / DEF 1900

Temple of the Fire Kings

[ Continuous Spell Card ]

“Fire King” monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects. While you control a “Fire King” monster, negate the effects of monsters that include “Cannot be destroyed by card effects.” Monsters destroyed by the effect of a “Fire King” monster cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard. If this card is targeted or would be destroyed by card effect, you can destroy 1 “Fire King” monster in your hand or that you control instead.

The reason Fire King monsters are so bad is because their effects don't hurt any Decks anymore. They can destroy monsters, sure, but it's pointless when those monsters just float anyway. Furthermore, who in their right mind would destroy a Fire King monster? It's much easier to use Castel on them. Therefore, with targeting protection and a way to hurt Decks that rely on floating to net advantage, Fire Kings could gain an edge against the meta.

So, it can Summon itself in Metalfoes and Igknights. Perhaps Igknights not so much, as you have cards like RML, and the fact that you generally pend Summon your Igknights, meaning you wouldn't want to nuke them all. I do like the Graveyard SS though, less generic, and more focused. The destruction by cards effect is great, giving you a neat search, and the on battle effect is pretty decent as well, giving you more bang for your buck in a more restrictive scenario. My only problem is the lack of HOPT on any of it. Say I have this card out, Waboku was activated or something, and my opponent controls a powerful monster. I can ram it into my opponents monster, then SS a Fire King from my Deck, SS this card from my Grave, get two pops, and if the opponent's monster is unaffected, keep ramming and SSing. The hand advantage would be amazing. Perhaps just on the Summon from the Graveyard effect would be a good HOPT.

Temples gives your blanket protection, and is pretty decent. Only got two problems with it though, but that's just with phrasing:
While you control a “Fire King” monster, negate the effects of monsters that include “Cannot be destroyed by card effects.”

So, it negates only those specific effects? It reads ALMOST like it's negating the monster's entire effects. Just clarification.

If this monster would be targeted...

A monster would be destroyed, and is targeted, as targeting happens before resolution but at/after activation. Gotta add an extra bit of card text, but at least it will work then.

So, it can Summon itself in Metalfoes and Igknights. Perhaps Igknights not so much, as you have cards like RML, and the fact that you generally pend Summon your Igknights, meaning you wouldn't want to nuke them all. I do like the Graveyard SS though, less generic, and more focused. The destruction by cards effect is great, giving you a neat search, and the on battle effect is pretty decent as well, giving you more bang for your buck in a more restrictive scenario. My only problem is the lack of HOPT on any of it. Say I have this card out, Waboku was activated or something, and my opponent controls a powerful monster. I can ram it into my opponents monster, then SS a Fire King from my Deck, SS this card from my Grave, get two pops, and if the opponent's monster is unaffected, keep ramming and SSing. The hand advantage would be amazing. Perhaps just on the Summon from the Graveyard effect would be a good HOPT.

Temples gives your blanket protection, and is pretty decent. Only got two problems with it though, but that's just with phrasing:

While you control a “Fire King” monster, negate the effects of monsters that include “Cannot be destroyed by card effects.”

So, it negates only those specific effects? It reads ALMOST like it's negating the monster's entire effects. Just clarification.

If this monster would be targeted...

A monster would be destroyed, and is targeted, as targeting happens before resolution but at/after activation. Gotta add an extra bit of card text, but at least it will work then.

Fixed

Archived