SPACE PIRATES - A Metroid Archetype #1

DtHadouken

Howdy, I'm new here!
So this is my first entry on a series of archetypes I'm going to be developing based on my favorite videogame franchise - Metroid.
While their design are perhaps not entirely unique, I'm pretty sure there's no existing archetypes with the exact same mechanics as these I'm creating. But you are the ones to judge my creations!

Space Pirate Archetype
The main antagonists of the Metroid franchise. These alien creatures throughout the whole series have been known to invade planets to wreak havoc and take up their resources, but notably is the fact that they are a force to be reconned with, especially when they have the abilities to call up their comrades.
So I based the archetype on a mechanic that exists in YuGiOh but hasn't been fully explored yet - Leaving the field.
I didn't want to make them based on stealing because that's for another archetype, and I wanted to explore on said mechanic. Basically these guys gain advantage by leaving the field and being Special Summoned by the effects of other Space Pirate cards. Able to generate a lot of pluses out of cards that are inherently 1-4-1's or even negatives, makes them an unfair archetype, but I'll go in depth with their effects.

Pros:
Generate advantage with costs
Can easily swarm the field and search for resources
Floater boss monster
A lot of destruction effects
DARK Attribute
Reptile-type (King of the Feral Imps shenanigans)
Easy access to Rank 4 Xyz's, Level 5 and 8 Synchros, access to Dark Law, etc.

Cons:
Reliant on support cards to start up (Most Space Pirates are bad Normal Summons)
Shut down if their effects are negated in the right time.
Need to generate some advantage at first if they need recovery late game (If resources aren't generated somehow throughout the game, it's over)
Many restrictions to some effects.
Generally weak monsters.

Alright, let's go with the cards themselves, shall we?

MAIN DECK MONSTERS

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Gray]PY2xGSr.jpg

Level 4 | DARK | Reptile | Effect  
1400 ATK | 1200 DEF

If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Space Pirate" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Space Pirate - Gray". If this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Space Pirate" monster from your hand, except "Space Pirate - Gray". You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Gray" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Green]G4Getdr.jpg

Level 4 | DARK | Reptile | Effect  
1200 ATK | 1500 DEF

If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy that target. If this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Space Pirate" monster from your Deck, except "Space Pirate - Green". You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Green" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Pink]Dya0plm.jpg

800 ATK | 2000 DEF

If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card: You can target 1 monster on the field; that target's ATK becomes half its original ATK, but it cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects this turn. If this card leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Space Pirate" monster from your Graveyard, except "Space Pirate - Pink". You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Pink" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Silver]adzCm7p.jpg

2100 ATK | 0 DEF

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card: You can target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target. If this card leaves the field: You can target 1 "Space Pirate" monster in your Graveyard, except "Space Pirate - Silver"; add that target to your hand.. You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Silver" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Trooper]fm3Zvpf.jpg

1800 ATK | 1300 DEF

If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Space Pirate" monster from your Deck. That monster's effects cannot be activated this turn. If this card leaves the field: You can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the owner's hand. You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Trooper" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Shadow Trooper]8JhpN42.jpg

1700 ATK | 900 DEF

If this card is Summoned: You can send 1 "Space Pirate" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. If this card leaves the field: You can target 1 card in your opponent's Graveyard; banish it. You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Shadow Trooper" once per turn.

[spoiler=Space Pirate Sentry Drone]pkTEyRo.jpg

Level 1 | DARK | Machine | Tuner | Effect

800 ATK | 500 DEF

If you control no monsters: You can discard this card; Special Summon 2 "Space Pirate" monsters with different names from your Deck. You cannot activate any effects of cards with the same name as those monsters for the rest of this turn. You cannot Normal or Special Summon monsters the turn you activate this effect, except "Space Pirate monsters from the Extra Deck.

[spoiler=Ridley, Leader of the Space Pirates]WD4dGet.jpg

Level 7 | DARK | Dragon | Effect

2500 ATK | 1700 DEF

If this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card, except by its own effect: Destroy all other monsters on the field. Cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard, except by its own effect. During either player's turn, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 Level 4 or lower "Space Pirate" monster from the field or Graveyard; Special Summon this card.

EXTRA DECK MONSTERS - SYNCHROS

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Omega]3Zh25aj.jpg

Level 5 | DARK | Reptile | Synchro | Effect  

2300 ATK | 1800 DEF

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Space Pirate" monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Space Pirate" monster from your hand or Deck. You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except "Space Pirate" monsters or "Meta Ridley". During either player's turn: You can discard 1 "Space Pirate" card from your hand to target 1 other card on the field; shuffle that target into the Deck. You can only use each effect of "Space Pirate - Omega" once per turn.

[spoiler=Meta Ridley]TllaW5U.jpg

Level 8 | DARK | Dragon | Synchro | Effect  

3000 ATK | 2200 DEF

"Space Pirate" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Special Summoned, it gains the following effect: There can only be 1 face-up "Ridley" monster on the field. You can banish 1 "Space Pirate" card from your hand or field; destroy all Spell/Trap cards your opponent controls. Your opponent takes no damage for the rest of this turn. If this card is destroyed by battle or by card effect: You can target 1 of your banished "Space Pirate" monsters; add that target to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Meta Ridley" once per turn.

EXTRA DECK MONSTERS - XYZ'S

[spoiler=Space Pirate - Commando]wjWw2m2.jpg

Rank 4 | DARK | Warrior | Xz | Effect  

2000 ATK | 1600 DEF

2 or more Level 4 monsters

If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 "Space Pirate" Spell/Trap card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. This card gains 200 ATK for each other "Space Pirate" monster on the field. If this card with Xyz Materials would be destroyed, you can send 1 "Space Pirate" monster you control to the Graveyard instead. This card cannot attack unless you detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead.

SPELL CARDS

[spoiler=Space Pirate Tactics]Y2X7sbC.jpg

Spell Card | Quick-Play 

Discard 1 card from your hand to target 1 "Space Pirate" monster you control; destroy that target, and if you do, Special Summon from your Deck, 1 "Space Pirate" monster with a Level equal or lower, but with a different name in face-up Defense Position.

[spoiler=Space Pirate Treasure Hunt]qn5iBsu.jpg

Spell Card | Continuous

During each of your End Phases, if a "Space Pirate" monster(s) was Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card with a different name this turn: Draw 1 card, then discard 1 card. If this card in your possession is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can shuffle 1 "Space Pirate" monster you control to the Deck; add this card to your hand, and if you do, skip your next Draw Phase.

[spoiler=Preparations for Assault]GJ3C8gd.jpg

Spell Card

Activate only during your Main Phase 2. Target up to 5 "Space Pirate" monsters on the field; banish those targets, and if you do, apply these effects in sequence, based on the number of "Space Pirate" monsters banished by this effect. You can only activate 1 "Preparations for Assault" per turn.

● 1+: Draw 1 card.

● 2+: Set 1 "Space Pirate" Spell/Trap card directly from your Deck.

● 3+: Special Summon 1 banished Level 4 or lower "Space Pirate" monster, and treat it as if it was Special Summoned by the effect of a "Space Pirate" card.

● 4+: Special Summon 1 "Meta Ridley" from your Extra Deck.

● 5: Your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters until your next Standby Phase.

TRAP CARDS

[spoiler=Eliminate the Hunter!]X5fUGri.jpg

Trap Card | Counter

When a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated, while you control a "Space Pirate" monster or "Meta Ridley": Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. Then you can destroy 1 "Space Pirate" monster or 1 "Meta Ridley" on the field. You can only activate 1 "Eliminate the Hunter" per turn.

===================================================================================================================

[spoiler=REASONS BEHIND SOME EFFECTS AND RESTRICTIONS]

Zebesians (Gray, Green, Pink and Silver) all share one common trait: They have an individual effect, and their "leaving the field" effect has the intention of bringing other Space Pirate monsters to the player's grasp.

• Gray: One of the most optimal cards to start the game with. Intentionally made with okay but not great stats and able to work in conjunction with Space Pirate Tactics. It does seach for Space Pirate cards so it can work in both an offensive and defensive way. The only good Zebesian to Normal Summon also, as the others are subpar and Silver cannot even be Normal Summoned.
  • Green: The bad ATK stats makes him more of a Allure fodder or fodder for other cards that could potentially activate its "leaving the field" effect, in case there's no other optimal play. Made him reminiscent of Gladiator Beast Bestiary as he's also green.
  • Pink: His Special Summon effect could work both offensively and defensively in combination with Space Pirate Tactics. Mostly a defensive card, not meant to be run at high multiples. However, made this also the one card that recovers other Space Pirate monsters from the grave.
  • Silver: Totally the opposite of Pink in regards to the intentions of his play. Making it a semi-nomi would make players not run that many copies of it, but still a nice target for Space Pirate Tactics, adding versatility to the archetype. Good to recover that Gray in the Graveyard.

Prime Pirates (Trooper and Shadow Trooper) have their "leaving the field" effect potentially affect the opponent or benefit you. Their Summoning effects are obviously to keep the engine going. Kind of the opposite of the Zebesians in a way.

• Trooper: As most likely his Summon by the effect of another Space Pirate will be a +0 or +1 by itself, I added the restrictions to his effect to avoid too much exploitation. Still a good card to access your Synchros (it can summon Sentry Drone) or Rank 4's. It also can summon itself but not like it matters much.
  • Shadow Trooper: Sets up for Ridley plays, and potentially other plays available.

Sentry Drone was made in order to create 1 card Extra Deck Pirate plays. Of course the optimal play would be "Meta Ridley" from here, at least with the cards I have made so far. I'm still thinking of adding another Xyz monster. Perhaps I should change up something along the effects of this card to make it less restrictive but still have its limitations. Maybe make it a Shiranui Solitaire type of card, where instead of discarding you'd have to Tribute it the turn it was Summoned and just make it xenophobic.

Ridley is obviously inspired from Grapha and Garunix, but can potentially activate the effects of a Space Pirate monster. Being so floaty with such a good effect, whilst the effect is not that accessible late game, I made the stats intentionally not so great. You can still Tribute Summon this monster, which would still trigger the tributed Space Pirates' effects.

The Synchros (Omega and Meta Ridley) are boss monsters. They don't have much protection by themselves either, mostly are there to keep the engine going and disrupt your opponent. Meta Ridley is a powerful one.

The Xyz is a potential lock, but an option to retrieve 1 Space Pirate Spell or Trap.

Space Pirate Tactics is supposed to be the card that starts off the engine the best. By itself it is a -2, but given the benefits that the other cards can give, it is mitigated and might even turn into pluses. The Level restriction is to avoid such quick Ridley plays.

Treasure Hunt is a plus generator, making you benefit from activating effects of the Space Pirates even more. Of course, you can only get a maximum of 1 draw per turn for each Treasure Hunt you control. Perhaps I should add a "You can only control 1 of this card" restriction?

Now Preparations sounds like an extremely broken card, but keep in mind that every Level 4 Space Pirate Main Deck Monster can only have its effects activated once per turn, so getting the higher numbers indeed prevent the card from generating too much advantage (to be fair, I don't think it's going to be so easy to set up 5 different Space Pirate monsters). Also, this card is not searchable.

Eliminate the Hunter has the once per turn clause simply because it is searchable and retrievable. They have not much protection by themselves other than floating around, and resources can run out easily.

I did NOT make any of the artwork featured. I did edit most of the pictures to fit the theme (as in, the artworks for all Spell cards, and putting the same background but edited for all Space Pirate monsters, adding the background for the Ridleys, etc.
And, of course, I do not own any of the rights for the characters used in this Archetype. All of them are property of Nintendo, and I believe Retro Studios in regards of the Prime ones.

Please tell me what you guys think. Too broken? What should I change? Also, I put the LEGACY tag here, but not sure how that works so if anything please let me know.

Metroid :D Glad to see someone else make an archetype on them! (I made like two, and one of them was really busted XD)

Gray is your basic speed and searcher. Very supportive, simple enough. 

Green has Spell/Trap removal without a cost, but a fitting condition. A little faster than Gray, but then again Gray has that search. Briefly looked ahead and saw that this seemed to be a Synchro Archetype with 1 Xyz. Looking at the cards themselves, however, shows an aptitude for Xyz Summoning. I mean, they are are Level 4 except for the Tuner, and even that gets you 2 Level 4s to Xyz Summon the Xyz boss. The only thing that helps them stay with Synchro Summoning is the leaving the field effects, and for that I have to congratulate you.

Pink actually allows for OTKs, giving you a monster to constantly hit. It also gets over ATK boosts, which nice, and provides the other method of Summoning from the Graveyard upon leaving the field. I wish they were a bit more varied supportive outside of the last effect, but whatever, I'm only 3 monsters in.

Silver is possibly the worst monster so far. Yes, it is a beater, but these monsters are used as fuel to Xyz or Synchro Summon. It bricks in the hand, and it isn't even fast. I would suggest giving its last effect a little more power by perhaps swapping it's last effect with Green. You'll probably run Green anyway, at least at one, for the versatility in popping.

Trooper would definitely used for chaining, and possible for the Xyz monster as chances are you aren't going to be using the Summoned monster's leave the field effect. This card is different in the fact that it supports faster rather than when it leaves the field, and when it does leave the field, your opponent gets a disadvantage rather than you getting an advantage, so it definitely does have utility as a Synchro Material.

Wondering where you got the art for Shadow Trooper :P In any case, perhaps slightly weaker than the rest of the cards, but at least it sets up plays for Graveyard Summons. Has some utility with removing problem grave cards, but that would probably just be used as a side effect, without the main plan involving it. Probably would be able to be run at 1.

So, Sentry Drone is basically a free Synchro/Xyz Summon in hand, and...just a tuner when not. I wish it had more uses outside of the hand, and even then with perhaps some monsters, but whatever, that effect is pretty powerful. It reminds me of Red-Eyes Fusion as to how much it locks you down. You could probably just get away with limiting your Summons to "Space Pirate" monsters in general. Even with that case, it's a shame Meta Ridley isn't a Space Pirate, or else you could get him out.

Ridley has a basic field nuke, and is really hard to get rid of. Only useful as a beater or a material, so no real problem with it coming back. Perhaps my only issue the fact that it can wall as long as you have monsters in your graveyard, and it is SS2. I would suggest just giving it HOPT, so it can only be used once per turn. You only need it once per turn, anyway.

Omega is pretty cool. Good restriction, good effects, good removal, good speed. Not much else to say.

Ridley needs some protection, but other than that, is decent. 

Commando...is again, decent. You get an attack boost, but it only has about 2 attacks in it. You can use more, but why not just Xyz two of them rather than 1 of them with 4 mats? You need to reward the player for Summoning it with 4 mats, and the on Summon effect does not help. At least it has protection, so perhaps Summoning 2 isn't that bad. Shame it just stops working, but better than killing itself. You probably have an extra instead in the last effect.

Discard 1 card from your hand, then target 1 "Space Pirate" monster you control; destroy ... Special Summon from your Deck, 1 "Space Pirate" monster with a Level equal to or lower than and with a different name to that monster, in face-up Defense Position.

Pretty decent card grammar up to that point, and even now only a few mistakes. Perhaps my only problem with this card is the lack of HOPT, meaning you can use this card to...let's say, nuke Green, then you get 2 monsters, Xyz into Commando, get this card back. Ez.

Treasure is a good draw during either player's turn, and it has Graveyard setup...although I think considering it only draws 1 no matter what you do, the discard isn't really required. You could draw 2 and discard 1 I suppose, but force the discard to be a Space Pirate or discard your whole hand. Might be a nice touch: "Yay guys we found treasure O WAIT ITS THE HUNTER RUN"

Assault isn't searchable ;-; and is perhaps a tiny bit weak. The third effect probably won't allow the chain to start again, as if you've got out 3 monsters, chances are you've already used their on Summon effects, and can't activate them again. I would suggest either circumventing, or buffing it a little more.

Hunter is again, decent. Nothing much else to say there, other than it being a play enabler.

These cards are really good for your first batch. A few problematic cards here and there, but all in all some good plays and semi-accurate to flavour. Gray, Green and Drone currently make a neat R4 engine, so perhaps by swapping Greens last effect with that 2100 monster you could weaken the engine a little. Anywho, nice work!

Metroid :D Glad to see someone else make an archetype on them! (I made like two, and one of them was really busted XD)

Gray is your basic speed and searcher. Very supportive, simple enough. 

Green has Spell/Trap removal without a cost, but a fitting condition. A little faster than Gray, but then again Gray has that search. Briefly looked ahead and saw that this seemed to be a Synchro Archetype with 1 Xyz. Looking at the cards themselves, however, shows an aptitude for Xyz Summoning. I mean, they are are Level 4 except for the Tuner, and even that gets you 2 Level 4s to Xyz Summon the Xyz boss. The only thing that helps them stay with Synchro Summoning is the leaving the field effects, and for that I have to congratulate you.

Pink actually allows for OTKs, giving you a monster to constantly hit. It also gets over ATK boosts, which nice, and provides the other method of Summoning from the Graveyard upon leaving the field. I wish they were a bit more varied supportive outside of the last effect, but whatever, I'm only 3 monsters in.

Silver is possibly the worst monster so far. Yes, it is a beater, but these monsters are used as fuel to Xyz or Synchro Summon. It bricks in the hand, and it isn't even fast. I would suggest giving its last effect a little more power by perhaps swapping it's last effect with Green. You'll probably run Green anyway, at least at one, for the versatility in popping.

Trooper would definitely used for chaining, and possible for the Xyz monster as chances are you aren't going to be using the Summoned monster's leave the field effect. This card is different in the fact that it supports faster rather than when it leaves the field, and when it does leave the field, your opponent gets a disadvantage rather than you getting an advantage, so it definitely does have utility as a Synchro Material.

Wondering where you got the art for Shadow Trooper :P In any case, perhaps slightly weaker than the rest of the cards, but at least it sets up plays for Graveyard Summons. Has some utility with removing problem grave cards, but that would probably just be used as a side effect, without the main plan involving it. Probably would be able to be run at 1.

So, Sentry Drone is basically a free Synchro/Xyz Summon in hand, and...just a tuner when not. I wish it had more uses outside of the hand, and even then with perhaps some monsters, but whatever, that effect is pretty powerful. It reminds me of Red-Eyes Fusion as to how much it locks you down. You could probably just get away with limiting your Summons to "Space Pirate" monsters in general. Even with that case, it's a shame Meta Ridley isn't a Space Pirate, or else you could get him out.

Ridley has a basic field nuke, and is really hard to get rid of. Only useful as a beater or a material, so no real problem with it coming back. Perhaps my only issue the fact that it can wall as long as you have monsters in your graveyard, and it is SS2. I would suggest just giving it HOPT, so it can only be used once per turn. You only need it once per turn, anyway.

Omega is pretty cool. Good restriction, good effects, good removal, good speed. Not much else to say.

Ridley needs some protection, but other than that, is decent. 

Commando...is again, decent. You get an attack boost, but it only has about 2 attacks in it. You can use more, but why not just Xyz two of them rather than 1 of them with 4 mats? You need to reward the player for Summoning it with 4 mats, and the on Summon effect does not help. At least it has protection, so perhaps Summoning 2 isn't that bad. Shame it just stops working, but better than killing itself. You probably have an extra instead in the last effect.

Discard 1 card from your hand, then target 1 "Space Pirate" monster you control; destroy ... Special Summon from your Deck, 1 "Space Pirate" monster with a Level equal to or lower than and with a different name to that monster, in face-up Defense Position.

Pretty decent card grammar up to that point, and even now only a few mistakes. Perhaps my only problem with this card is the lack of HOPT, meaning you can use this card to...let's say, nuke Green, then you get 2 monsters, Xyz into Commando, get this card back. Ez.

Treasure is a good draw during either player's turn, and it has Graveyard setup...although I think considering it only draws 1 no matter what you do, the discard isn't really required. You could draw 2 and discard 1 I suppose, but force the discard to be a Space Pirate or discard your whole hand. Might be a nice touch: "Yay guys we found treasure O WAIT ITS THE HUNTER RUN"

Assault isn't searchable ;-; and is perhaps a tiny bit weak. The third effect probably won't allow the chain to start again, as if you've got out 3 monsters, chances are you've already used their on Summon effects, and can't activate them again. I would suggest either circumventing, or buffing it a little more.

Hunter is again, decent. Nothing much else to say there, other than it being a play enabler.

These cards are really good for your first batch. A few problematic cards here and there, but all in all some good plays and semi-accurate to flavour. Gray, Green and Drone currently make a neat R4 engine, so perhaps by swapping Greens last effect with that 2100 monster you could weaken the engine a little. Anywho, nice work!

Thanks a lot for the review. I'll sometime later brainstorm on the existing cards and help balancing them out guiding myself with your suggestions.

Glad you found them decent.

I find your lack of Kraid disturbing. I mean, you got the most important boss-guy of the SPs, but Mother Brain, not Ridley, is the real leader, and again, no Kraid. I advise remedying this situation soon - maybe make Ridley and Kraid share the title "Mainstay of the Space Pirates" to fit with some of the Metroid Manuals. Also, Neo-Ridley from Fusion or I riot.

An interesting concept - it's true that not a lot of cards, let alone Archetypes, have anything that uses the idea of leaving the field, and yet it's my favorite effect condition in the game, particularly as a HERO player because Absolute Zero -> Mask Change -> Acid. I would like to point out that making this an Xyz-based Archetype is a bad plan, though, as they won't be treated as leaving the field if they go together for an Xyz, so I recommend going Synchro or even Fusion with this one, maybe Contact Fusion. Anyways, guess I ought to look at some of the cards and say stuff.

Silver's confusing me here because it's gold in the picture but it's named silver. This is not right. Oh, I suppose I should address the effect as well. It's...ok, I guess...it doesn't Summon upon leaving, it grabs a card for your hand instead, meaning you're mostly going to be using it to either grab Gray for your next Normal Summon or...um…yeah, I got nothing more this guy can do without actually trying the deck out, plus, no Normal Summon/Set without any way to make it not a brick? That doesn't sound good. I would give it some in-hand effect in case you draw it for your opening hand, like being able to shuffle itself back to search an SP Spell/Trap from somewhere, or discarding it to give you an extra Normal Summon that treats the Monster as though it were Summoned by the effect of an SP Monster or something weird like that.

I'd recommend making a card that allows you to bounce an SP to hand to Special Summon another SP from somewhere - perhaps "Space Pirate Homeworld - Zebes" to keep with the theme? With this effect, you can Summon Gray, add Green, bounce Gray for Green, trigger Green to Summon Trooper from Deck and trigger Gray to Summon Pink from hand(assuming you had it in hand of course), trigger Trooper to pull the Tuner from Deck and trigger Pink to reduce ATK, Synchro Tuner and Pink for Omega, trigger Pink to reSummon Tuner and trigger Omega to Summon from Deck, go from there as it's not like you're low on options with Green, Trooper, Omega, the Tuner, and whatever Omega Summoned on the Field.

Archived