Submachine Cards [Written]

So I was sitting around bored today and ended up coming up with some cards based on Submachine, a series of flash games created by Mateusz Skutnik. If you haven't played these games, I highly recommend them; they're very well made puzzle games with some amazing artwork and great presentation overall. I originally planned to make images for these cards, but I find that it's kind of a hassle to upload everything to Imgur and then use the image system to link them here; plus the font was really small on some of these effects, which means I would have had to write them under the card anyway, and images were getting harder to find. I may end up posting the image versions of the cards later on. 

Anyway, most of the cards in this archetype are Field Spells, and their main purpose is to manipulate the rules in various ways. After all, the Subnet is a very, very strange place; the laws of reality are more fluid out there, particularly on the Edge. I'm going to just post a few for now; I'll be updating this thread over the next day or so with the various ideas I had. I'm also posting some commentary on each card, as well as some notes on what I'm uncertain on in the archetype. Hope you enjoy! 

[spoiler=Main Cards] 

Submachine Basement

[Field Spell Card] 

Effect: As long as this card remains in your Field Spell Zone, during your Main Phase 1 you may activate one of the following effects: 

• Target one of your opponent's empty Monster Zones; your opponent cannot summon monsters to this Zone during their next turn. This effect cannot be activated if your opponent controls four or more monsters. 

• Special Summon a monster with 2500 ATK or less from your hand, ignoring summoning conditions. This effect cannot be activated if you control four or more monsters. 

[spoiler=Explanation] A card based on the environment from the first game. The reason for the "four monster" requirements, aside from balance in the case of the second effect, is as a reference to the four Tiles used to unlock the elevator. Not much more to say here. 

Submachine Lighthouse

[Field Spell Card] 

Effect: This effect may only be activated if you control five Spell or Trap Cards with different names other than this card and control no face-up monsters. During your Main Phase 1, you may pay 200 Life Points to activate one of the following effects: 

• Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using Spell and Trap Cards you control in place of the specified Fusion Materials; you must use the same number of Spell and Trap Cards as the number of specified Fusion Materials. 

• Synchro Summon 1 Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck, treating one Spell or Trap Card as a Level 1 or 2 Tuner Monster and up to 4 others as Level 2 Synchro Materials. 

• Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck, treating Spell and Trap Cards you control as Xyz Materials of the same Level as the Xyz Monster's Rank. (You must attach a number of Spell and Trap Cards equal to the number of required Xyz Materials.) 

• Link Summon 1 Link Monster from your Extra Deck, tributing an equal number of Spell or Trap Cards as the Link Monster's Link Number. 

[spoiler=Explanation] This is one of the ideas I'm more unsure on; basically, it's a Field Spell that lets you use Spell and Trap Cards as Extra Deck Materials in certain circumstances. I can't really tell if it's underpowered (because of the very specific conditions and self-deactivating nature) or overpowered (because it could potentially bring out a Rank 12 Xyz or Level 9 Synchro with no summoning conditions); I'm leaning slightly towards the latter, so I added the Life Point penalty. I'll take it off if people aren't fans of it. 

Submachine Loop

[Field Spell Card] 

Effect: During your Standby Phase, if this card is face-up on the field, you lose 300 Life Points. Once per turn, you may activate one of the following effects: 

• When a monster controlled by your opponent declares an attack, target this monster with the following effect: As long as the targeted monster remains face-up on the field, other monsters controlled by your opponent cannot declare an attack. 

• When your opponent activates a card effect, you may activate the following effect: your opponent cannot activate the effects of cards with different names from the targeted card until the end of your next End Phase. 

[spoiler=Explanation] This is a card which basically does exactly what the Subnet Loop does in the games: it keeps you doing the same thing over and over again unless someone else breaks you out. Originally the 300 Life Point penalty was supposed to be for BOTH players, but I felt like it wasn't enough of a cost to using what is otherwise a pretty powerful card, so I confined it to just the user. 

More coming soon... 

Archived