Mutant Invasion [DARK Machine Support] [10/10]

VCR_CAT

A hard theme to build. The intention had many goals, with focuses and inspiration from the latest Jack Wyvern/Hack Worm/Cracking Dragon theme, to DARK Machines in general with Cyberdarks. Tribute summoning was inspired by Giga as something to work with Cracking Dragon, though I kept much of the card's interactions open to work with other strategies that DARK Machines have been seen to exhibit. Much of the deck's mechanics take inspiration from existing cards in this pool.

[spoiler=Monsters]

cBuUEv7.png

If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can tribute this card: Add 1 DARK Machine-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Mutant Shell" once per turn.

oyTlGuB.png

While you or your opponent control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Core Carrier" this way per turn. While you control no other monsters, this card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a DARK Machine-Type monster. If this card is sent to the Graveyard as a Synchro Material: You can target 1 DARK Machine Type monster in your Graveyard, except "Core Carrier": Add that target to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Core Carrier" once per turn.

h8cKfVB.png

While you control at least 1 DARK Machine-Type monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard, then destroy this card at the end of the turn. You can only use this effect of "Slash Trooper" once per turn. If this card was Special Summoned from the Graveyard, banish it when it leaves the field.

jIVCsuy.png

You can discard 1 DARK monster from your hand, except this card, to Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard. You can only Special Summon 1 "Core Trooper" this way per turn. If this card is Special Summoned by its effect: You can reveal 1 level 8 or higher DARK Machine-Type monster in your hand; Special Summon the monster discarded by this card's effect in face-up Defense Position, but its effects are negated and it cannot be used as a Material for a Special Summon.

sZax2BP.png

You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 DARK monster, or 3 DARK Monsters. This card's original ATK is equal to the number of monsters Tributed for its Tribute Summon x1000. If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can Special Summon the monsters Tributed for this card's Tribute Summon in face-up Attack Position from your Graveyard, but their ATK and DEF become 0 and their effects are negated. This card gains 400 ATK for every other DARK monster you control. You can pay 1000 LP; immediately after this effect resolves, Tribute Summon 1 DARK Machine-Type monster face-up. You can only use each effect of "Mutant Core" once per turn.

ZUZsV9t.png

Requires 3 Tributes to Normal Summon (cannot be Normal Set). This Tribute Summoned monster cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects. Each time your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), while you control this Tribute Summoned monster, inflict 800 damage to your opponent. If your opponent takes damage from a DARK monster's effect: This card gains 200 ATK until the end of the next turn.

[spoiler=Spells and Traps]

dmNur1P.png

Banish 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard: Add 1 DARK Machine-Type monster, from your Deck to your hand, whose Level is lower than or equal to the banished monster's Level. You can only activate 1 "Dark Conversion Core" per turn.

D95vmx1.png

DARK monsters you control gain 200 ATK. You can banish 1 DARK Machine-Type monster from your Deck or Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Mutant Token" (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). You can destroy this face-up card: Add 1 of your banished DARK Machine-Type monsters to your hand. You can only use 1 "Core Codex" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

6m0PdkR.png

Tribute Summoned DARK monsters you control cannot be destroyed by card effects. DARK Machine-Type monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF. During the End Phase, if you Tribute Summoned a DARK Machine-Type monster this turn: You can draw a number of cards equal to the number of DARK monsters Tributed for Tribute Summons this turn (max. 2).

qoySL1Z.png

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Machine-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) with the following effects. (This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card).
● Monsters your opponent controls must attack this card, if able. Cannot be destroyed by battle. If an opponent's monster declares an attack on this card: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent.

A little late here but I'll give my take on things. It's not to overly detailed but I hope it gives you an idea of how to shape this group. It's definitely more focused group than it first appears to be.

Mutant Shell - Free empty board SS into deck thinning, practically a staple for the game now. Odd that you have to banish it since crazy things like Speedroid TerrorTop exist that add to your hand while keeping a body on the board. Considering its low level, stats and not being a tuner so I think if should be able to search without losing it.

Core Cannon - Really the odd one here. While being able to sub a monster for two tributes, just the fact that you have this + one monster on the board fulfill the requirements. Maybe offer some sort of protection when equipped or piercing instead of a flat attack boost. Maybe have some sort of recycle effect when leaving the board as an equip.

Slash Trooper - Able to be SS on a whim is super amazing, provides way more utility to a rank 4 spam deck and is great target for recurring nightmare for more SS/discard SS shenanigans.

Core Trooper - A combo piece at best, bringing out another member for tribute summon plays. Unfortunately that's all it can do, but sometimes its just what you need to pull out your big bad bosses. A quick combo idea would be Mutant Shell -> search Slash Trooper ->Discard Slash to SS Core Trooper -> Effect off to Special any Level 8+ Dark Machines -> Grave SS Slash- Triple Tribute boss.

Mutant Core - Your main Engine and recycle tool. Definitely what you want to go to if your setting up the previously mention combo. It eats up your normal summon so I can see why you have the on trigger tribute summoning effect. Maybe give it some protection instead of a single tribute summoning clause. It's good but too easy to remove.

Mutant King - Incredibly underwhelming. A 3000 beater with minimal battle protection. Sure if can buff itself by triggering its own effect per SS the opponent does but the way life points are treated I'm sure people wouldn't hesitate removing it from the board with minimal effort.

Dark Conversion Core - Simple search, good enough as is.

Core Codex - Little board boost, can grant a token for your tribute plans or be used to cycle back Slash Trooper or and other Dark Machines that you need.

Core Ship - Really pushes you desire to tribute. Rewards your tributes with more recyling, maybe trade that in for some draw power as you down really have any to maintain a hand.

Core Shield - Paileo has definitely changed how we see trap monsters, huh? It's not a band little battle wall. Kind of a Ferrothorn in Yu-gi-oh form.

A little late here but I'll give my take on things. It's not to overly detailed but I hope it gives you an idea of how to shape this group. It's definitely more focused group than it first appears to be.

Mutant Shell - Free empty board SS into deck thinning, practically a staple for the game now. Odd that you have to banish it since crazy things like Speedroid TerrorTop exist that add to your hand while keeping a body on the board. Considering its low level, stats and not being a tuner so I think if should be able to search without losing it.

Core Cannon - Really the odd one here. While being able to sub a monster for two tributes, just the fact that you have this + one monster on the board fulfill the requirements. Maybe offer some sort of protection when equipped or piercing instead of a flat attack boost. Maybe have some sort of recycle effect when leaving the board as an equip.

Slash Trooper - Able to be SS on a whim is super amazing, provides way more utility to a rank 4 spam deck and is great target for recurring nightmare for more SS/discard SS shenanigans.

Core Trooper - A combo piece at best, bringing out another member for tribute summon plays. Unfortunately that's all it can do, but sometimes its just what you need to pull out your big bad bosses. A quick combo idea would be Mutant Shell -> search Slash Trooper ->Discard Slash to SS Core Trooper -> Effect off to Special any Level 8+ Dark Machines -> Grave SS Slash- Triple Tribute boss.

Mutant Core - Your main Engine and recycle tool. Definitely what you want to go to if your setting up the previously mention combo. It eats up your normal summon so I can see why you have the on trigger tribute summoning effect. Maybe give it some protection instead of a single tribute summoning clause. It's good but too easy to remove.

Mutant King - Incredibly underwhelming. A 3000 beater with minimal battle protection. Sure if can buff itself by triggering its own effect per SS the opponent does but the way life points are treated I'm sure people wouldn't hesitate removing it from the board with minimal effort.

Dark Conversion Core - Simple search, good enough as is.

Core Codex - Little board boost, can grant a token for your tribute plans or be used to cycle back Slash Trooper or and other Dark Machines that you need.

Core Ship - Really pushes you desire to tribute. Rewards your tributes with more recyling, maybe trade that in for some draw power as you down really have any to maintain a hand.

Core Shield - Paileo has definitely changed how we see trap monsters, huh? It's not a band little battle wall. Kind of a Ferrothorn in Yu-gi-oh form.

It's never too late! Thanks for the feedback!

Mutant Shell - Keep in mind how very, very good Terrortop is. Shell might have a less serviceable level in terms of what it can be used for in Xyz purposes, but its range of searching is very wide, and I feel that needs to be kept in mind. I changed banishing to tributing, but with how much it can grab I hesitate to keep it on the board at the same time and just make it a blatant +1.

Core Cannon - Now Carrier; this one was hard to work with, as I wanted to give Cyberdarks some love, but I mulled over the design some more and realized that its design was deviating too much from the rest of the set to really justify that one-off support, in which it didn't do it very well. So, made some appropriate changes.

Mutant Core - Protection isn't the issue, because honestly looking it over again it's still insanely good with how much it can do in a full use. I'm actually very much considering some changes to its effect to require that you summon back the monsters that were tributed, because as-is, I feel like in-practice it just becomes an insane power-play card for outputting Xyz or Synchro plays. Adding protection to it would just make it even more insane, so I think I'll be thinking over this one more.

Mutant King - Another touchy subject in terms of power output. There's a fine line in how good this card should be as a simple two-tribute monster, and I feel like with the stats of 3000 and no downsides that pushing it into full-boss territory is too much. Of course, I did make Core kind of too good, but I'll be giving that one a second look-over. Right now I want this card to be something that doesn't necessarily eclipses Cracking Dragon, and I feel like it's in a good place. Considering how many summons someone will do in a turn these days, and how many cards you can yank off of a Maxx "C", 800 burn a summon is hard to fully neglect. I think with the protection on top of its burn and boost it makes itself a fairly tough customer the more you put out. If I do any more changes I would consider boosting the attack boost from a successful burn, but probably no more than that. I might remove the 3-tribute requirement as well, but again I don't want a 2-tribute monster being too good, to keep it in-line with power levels.

Core Ship - Yeah, I agree it needs to fill in a different niche than simply what Codex is doing.

Full changes:

• Shell's search reduced to a tribute instead of a banish
  • Core Cannon re-designed into Core Carrier
  • Slash Trooper received some text updates; effect remains the same
  • Mutant Core's attack boost... boosted.
  • Mutant King now requires 3 tributes to summon
  • Mutant King gained additional protection
  • Core Ship turned into a Monolith

More Changes:

• Mutant Core's special summon effect requires it to be the monsters you tributed for its summon, and it summons from the graveyard. This adds more difficulty to its power plays.
  • Mutant Core no longer has a set ATK stat, but its stats depend on how many monsters you tributed for its summon. His stat boost has also been buffed.
  • Mutant King also has inherent destruction protection if it's tribute summoned now.

Archived