Alternative Strategy

cp49100

Alternative Strategy

[Normal Trap]

Activate 1 Continuous Spell Card or 1 Continuous Trap Card from your deck and if you do; Apply 1 of these effects during the End Phase.

● Banish that card.

● Discard 2 cards from your hand

You can only activate 1 "Alternative Strategy" per turn.

Hmm how does this work in a chain? Like.... Your opponent activates Call of the Haunted and you chain this card in response to go for Vanity's Emptiness. Does Emptiness become live right there and then or does it let the rest of the chain go through before being in effect on the field?

If you use Blackwing Zephyros or Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator to bounce this card, I bet you are forced to discard. The discard is pretty hefty, which is fine because it really makes one think about losing a key Trap or paying. If the discard was 1 card, no doubt it'd be a staple searcher for Skill Drain or Macro Cosmos

Maybe narrowing it down to just Traps would work better. A completely chainable Swords of Concealing Light is just evil, even if only for a turn.

Hmm how does this work in a chain? Like.... Your opponent activates Call of the Haunted and you chain this card in response to go for Vanity's Emptiness. Does Emptiness become live right there and then or does it let the rest of the chain go through before being in effect on the field?

If you use Blackwing Zephyros or Ally of Justice Cyclone Creator to bounce this card, I bet you are forced to discard. The discard is pretty hefty, which is fine because it really makes one think about losing a key Trap or paying. If the discard was 1 card, no doubt it'd be a staple searcher for Skill Drain or Macro Cosmos

Maybe narrowing it down to just Traps would work better. A completely chainable Swords of Concealing Light is just evil, even if only for a turn.

Emptiness whould become live right there and then as it whould already be on the field before CoH resolved.

You are indeed forced to discard if the card you activated from your deck is not on the field during the turn you activated this card! And yes, 1 discard cost whould just make this card the turbo enabler of legend which whould be a little much.

While that is evil I figured making 2 cards that have almost the same effect vs 1 card that has both effects (and those restricts the copies of cards that can do this fom 6 to 3) whould actually be the more balanced move, I do however understand your line of thought, this card can easily disrupt a player to the point their turn is effectively wasted!

Damn, this card looks so much fun. Turning any Continuous Spell/Trap into a "volatile" Spell/Trap to disrupt the opponent whitout affecting you in the following turns, or pay the relatively heavy cost to search it and keep it around. I can see this doing funny stuff along the Drain Traps, Imperial Order, Macro, etc. as a toolbox of sorts. Not only disruptive Spell/Traps are an option; there are toys like Tenki, too.

Archived