[Sakura AGM] Dragon Firefighter (12/12)

"Think Ally of Justice . . . except better. And dragons.

Specifically, this archetype is WATER Dragons designed completely to fight FIRE archetypes, mostly by killing off the more popular tactics and design details of FIRE archetypes. They achieve this by not only getting battle boosts and lockdown tactics against FIRE monsters, but also by OPT blocking Normal Spells (like, say, Rekindling) and a few effects that slaughter anything with 1000 or less DEF (most FIRE monsters in general, especially if they want to use Rekindling).

They really, really like their Xyz Summon, and their Xyz monsters can stack atop one another freely (think somewhere between the Galaxy-Eyes ED engine and Zoodiac in intent, and more the former in speed- they mostly do it to keep a boss with mats on the field at all times).

Because of their design, they do their job very well, and can even kill the occasional Deck they weren't explicitly designed to fight, like Monarchs (low DEF) or slower Fusion builds (reliance on a single Normal Spell)."

[spoiler=Main Deck]

Firefighter Dragon Azumi

Level 4 | WATER | Dragon | Effect

1500/1500

① Once per turn: You can add 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster from your Deck to your hand. ② Once per turn, if this card battles a monster with 1000 or less DEF: You can have that monster lose 500 ATK during damage calculation only. If this card battles a FIRE monster: You can have that monster's ATK become half its current ATK instead during damage calculation only.

Firefighter Dragon Blaze

1700/1200

① Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Firefighter Dragon" from your hand, except "Firefighter Dragon Blaze".

Firefighter Dragon Diamond

1800/1000

① Once per turn: You can target up to 4 "Firefighter Dragon" cards in your Graveyard; shuffle them into the Deck, then draw an equal number of cards - 2.

Firefighter Dragon Fēnfāng

1400/2000

① Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Firefighter Dragon" from your Graveyard, except "Firefighter Dragon Fēnfāng". ② Your opponent cannot target other "Firefighter Dragon" monsters you control for attacks or card effects, except "Firefighter Dragon Fēnfāng".

Firefighter Dragon Kihei

1600/1300

You can only use the ① effect of "Firefighter Dragon Kihei" once per turn. ① If you control another "Firefighter Dragon" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). ② Once per turn: You can target 1 Dragon-Type Xyz Monster; attach this card from your hand or field to that monster as an Xyz Material.

Firefighter Dragon Renkō

1500/1900

You can only use each effect of "Firefighter Dragon Renkō" once per turn. ① If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 "Firefighter Dragon" Xyz Monster you control; attach this card to it as Xyz Material, but banish it when it is sent to the Graveyard. ② During either player's turn: You can target this card and another "Firefighter Dragon" non-Xyz Monster you control; Xyz Summon 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster using those 2 monsters as Xyz Material.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Firefighter Dragon Captain Bàofēngyǔ

Rank 4 | WATER | Dragon | Xyz | Effect

2100/1400

2 Level 4 "Firefighter Dragon" monsters

Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Firefighter Dragon Captain Bàofēngyǔ" by using 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster you control with a different name as Xyz Material. (If you used an Xyz Monster, any Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on this card.) ① Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 "Firefighter Dragon" non-Xyz Monster in your Graveyard; this card gains that monster's effects until the end of the turn. ② Once per turn, if this card battles a monster with 1500 or less DEF: You can have that monster lose 1200 ATK during damage calculation only. If this card battles a FIRE monster: You can have that monster's ATK become 0 instead during damage calculation only.

Firefighter Dragon Captain Tsunami

2000/1800

Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Firefighter Dragon Captain Tsunami" by using 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster you control with a different name as Xyz Material. (If you used an Xyz Monster, any Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on this card.)  ① Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster from your hand or Graveyard. ② Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a Normal Spell or Trap Card is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate that effect, and if you do, destroy it.

Firefighter Dragon Captain Azure

2300/1600

① While this card has Xyz Material, all monsters in your opponent's possession become FIRE-Attribute. ② Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of the turn, then if you targeted a FIRE monster with this effect, your opponent takes damage equal to half its ATK.

[spoiler=Support cards]

Firefighter Dragon Academy

Field Spell

You can only use the ② and ③ effects of "Firefighter Dragon Academy" each once per turn. ① "Firefighter Dragon" monsters you control gain 400 ATK and DEF. ② You can add 1 "Firefighter Dragon" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, except "Firefighter Dragon Academy". ③ If a "Firefighter Dragon" Xyz Monster you control would activate its effect by detaching its Xyz Material(s), you can banish 1 card from your hand instead of detaching 1 of those materials.

Firefighter Dragon Backup

Normal Spell

You can only activate 1 "Firefighter Dragon Backup" per turn. Activate 1 of these effects. ① Target 2 "Firefighter Dragon" monsters in your Graveyard; attach them to a Dragon-Type Xyz Monster you control as Xyz Materials. ② Target 2 "Firefighter Dragon" monsters with a Level in your Graveyard; Special Summon them, then Xyz Summon 1 "Firefighter Dragon" monster using those 2 monsters as Xyz Material.

Firefighter Dragon Transport Engine

Continuous Spell

① When a "Firefighter Dragon" monster you control battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

iU8EggM.png

[spoiler=Design stuff]

As prompt mentions, this is supposed to be an anti-FIRE archetype. In terms of metagame relevancy at the time of writing, only FIRE decks worth considering are either Metalfoes/Igknights (are the latter still relevant?), maybe Fire Fists. Most of the anti-FIRE stuff is supposed to be in the Xyz, although some of the Main Deck 'mons do have some instances of doing minor damage to the opponent and/or countering common strategies.

(If I remember correctly, a lot of FIRE decks still use Rekindling and the like; well, the older ones anyway.)

Main Deck has a short setup engine (yes, I am aware that the setup engine is a common theme among sets I make; get searcher, stuff to SS your 'mons for faster play and then something to recycle resources, but it does work.)

Ideally, there will be a small hierarchy amongst monsters: Standard Firefighter Dragon (Level 4 Main Deck), Captains (Rank 4) and likely the Chief (which may be a higher Rank and incorporates implicit Rank-Up mechanics). I will determine the status of the latter at some later time.

Also the note of being able to keep the Xyz full of materials, because they explicitly require materials to trigger themselves, despite generic requirements. I would like to make Tsunami able to summon from the Deck too, but even with the detach cost and requirement that you need Firefighter Dragons to trigger stuff, iffy on it.

====

Some of the names are derived from Japanese/Chinese, hence the transliteration, though a few are more Westernized.

====

I will add more support cards later, considering there is still a bit this Archetype is lacking in at the moment.

With that being said, you know what to do with this.

Reps will be given for good reviews given under the Advanced Clause.

Ok let's review.......I'm not a fan of 1 use only Decks so hopefully this does a good job in delivering since it needs to meet quite high standards.

1) Search is fine I guess but it should be hard OPT. 1000 DEF works I guess given most Level 4 or lower monsters with significant ATK values have low DEF. 3rd eff is ehh, hopefully there are ways to exploit this.

2) Spell Negator is too strong of an eff for such a basic monster, and the conditions are too low.

3) Draw eff is fine, Trap negator is not, same reasons as above.

4) This one is fine, tho I would like to add "cannot target others except "Fenfang" so as to prevent annoying Diva-esque locks from being too easy.

5) This one is fine.

6) This is fine too.

Extra Deck

1) Given how the monster works like, you might as well slap "2 Level "Firefighter Dragon" monsters". Monster is fine but it has no business being Archetype locked to use its effects.

2) Same here, no business with archetype lock AND omni negator on a basic Level 4 monster is way too powerful. It should be toned down.

Add notes: The term you seek is "Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "card name" by...." otherwise you can overlap each one ad infinitum.

Spells

1) Should say "During your Main Phase: You can add 1......." overall fine.

2) You should also add an Advanced Heraldry Art option on this card.

3) This is fine but rather bland imo.

I do not understand why this is sold as anti-FIRE. It really is not such a thing despite a few of them doing so. They are just an ordinary Spam to Xyz Deck. Remove the anti-FIRE and they still work as any Xyz Deck. If it had more treat your opp's monster and FIRE to trigger add bonuses from your monsters that could work, but they do not and then again anti-specific threats make for limited concepts that never really shine outside very punctual niches and thus do not see any light beyond the dark from meme-land. Not to mention some effs are busted considering the requirements.

The theme needs an overhaul to actually sell as a concept, balance some effects and set itself apart from mundane ideas.

5/10

Due to the prompt, it's supposed to be the equivalent of Ally of Justice (but for FIRE); go ask Draconus why he wrote it like this. As I mentioned somewhere, the Xyz are supposed to be the Catastor-esque stuff and hit everything else except FIRE. That being said, I am aware that they need a card that forces the opponent to be FIRE, which I will get to later.

Engine is admittedly meh; I did consider giving it an effect that prevents your stuff from being chained to, but then it's going over the top.

Xyz had their requirements made Archetype-specific (so the other restriction is redundant), and effects modified (well, Tsunami got Blaze/Diamond's 2 effects, which I'm telling self isn't making them good.)

Note on Azumi that the FIRE weakening effect is connected to the general drop effect. If it's a FIRE monster, then you can halve its ATK; otherwise it just drops by a set value. Same goes for the first Xyz. (You have a choice in what you want to do)

======

Also, I did say that there's a lot this Archetype needs to do to work properly; including making the opponent FIRE for everything to work.

Archetypes against 1 attribute are pretty unique and interesting, because they punish your opponent for playing that attribute. Ally of Justice was pretty much a big failure since there was no cohesion between the card, but this one seems to be a lot better, and easier to set up. Well, time to review. :)

Azumi: The adding effect should definitely be a HOPT or just when it is summoned. The second and third effects are pretty good in terms of balancing it.

Blaze: Solid effect for setting up, also it can't be missed like if it was on its summon.

Diamond: It just seems like a bit much, but if you are going for it, at least make it HOPT also.

Fēnfāng: Another good effect for setting up, also should be HOPT so you don't just spam summon from the graveyard if you have more than 1 Fēnfāng on the field.

Kihei: Pretty good if you want to Xyz Summon with it. The second effect should be for rank 4, for the lvl 8 dragon decks.

Renkō: Both effects are good. The banishing definitely balances it, but you should word it differently like, when it is detached from that Xyz monster after using that effect. The second effect is good if you want to summon during your opponent's turn.

Captain Bàofēngyǔ: The second effect is kinda meh, idk what your are getting at with -1200 atk, maybe just make so it loses half its atk?

Captain Tsunami: Just negating a normal spell/trap is weak, other than that it is good.

Headquarters: Pretty good field spell, recovers and lets your keep xyz material. You should just change in its effect from academy to headquarters.

Backup: The first effect to attach 2 is too op, it should on attach 1.

Transport Engine: Pretty good, so your opponent cannot do anything when you attack.

Definitely needs a little work, but the finished product would be pretty good, and it isn't 100% only against fire monster decks.

Tsunami used to be full on negation, and burned if the opponent got a FIRE monster negated. I suppose I can just change it to general Spell/Trap negation, and then redirect the original monster negation / burn to a third Xyz Monster. 

For Baofengyu's effect, a 1200 drop is usually half of a monster's ATK on average (or close to half on common bosses at worst). Against smaller monsters, it'll neuter them completely; larger monsters get into kill range. 

====

But yeah, this is supposed to be a better Ally of Justice (well, they're backed up by generic Dragon supports so that helps them out, but the drawback is that FIRE isn't a common Attribute now.) There will be some support cards to force everything to be FIRE, but the other effects at least give you something to work off of if you fight everything else. Oh hell, Catastor's the only AoJ that did anything outside LIGHTs. 

The forced FIRE card will likely be another Spell Card or an Xyz boss; we'll have to see how things work out.

Not much of an update after a week, but yeah, added a new Xyz that forces the opponent to be FIRE (which then makes the entire Archetype work on prompt); also fixed Tsunami's effect to hit S/T in general (yeah, it sort of breaks the prompt a bit and negation, but I may have to break from the prompt a bit to make this actually work).

In terms of future updates, I think some more backrow would be in their best interest (either to keep recycling them as needed or deal more damage to the opponent once their monsters are forced to be FIRE), plus an overall boss monster that can Rank-Up and incorporate multiple effects from the existing stuff. Probably will add a Trap or something, plus other supports. (I am still considering a card to prevent chaining, which would probably help them not get sniped).

====

Yeah, I think I should've went with another idea that doesn't require the opponent to be a certain Attribute, but since it's already up, might as well try to make it work; otherwise call it complete and move on (and maybe do legacy supports at a later time).

Archived