Hohoho merry heatwave [Summer 2017 Secret Anime Santa]

It's that time of half year again, where the snow melts and santa takes a vacation to glorious Nipon.

Da Rulez:

For Giving:

• Meet ur deadlines
  • The anime must be complete
  • Nothing longer than 26 epis (if it is, at least pick an arc that can stand alone)
  • Meet ur deadlines. Seriously.
  • Don't lift the veil of mystery I have set between you and your giftee
  • (optional) Suggest an anime for me to watch {I'll provide my list and no-nos and hell yeas at the end of this post}

For Receiving 

• Meet ur deadlines
  • give a list of anime you've seen/ are currently watching
  • give a general description of what you like in an anime
  • give a clear description of the type of anime you would not watch
  • Don't be super specific with rule 3. Don't do it. Do, however, be super specific about rule 4, but not so specific that you're restricting your possible presents
  • Did I mention that you should meet ur deadlines?
  • (optional) after finishing ur gift, leave a review of it and why you thought it rocked/ flopped for you.

Deadlines:

• Wednesday, the 31st, May: Last day to enter, closes at midnight PST
  • Wednesday, the 14th, June: Last day to give gifts.
  • Wednesday, the 5th, July: Last day to finish ur gift before I reveal who gave who what.

The hat which your names shall be drawn from (aka who's signed up):

• Yui
  • Xoxo
  • Elly
  • Dr. Cakey
  • Moog
  • VCR_CAT
  • your
  • names
  • go
  • here
  • after
  • you've
  • signed
  • up

[spoiler=My Weeb sheet]

[spoiler=things I've seen]

Soul Eater (NOT, too)
7 Deadly Sins
Heavan's Lost Property
Yugioh GX (re-watching because I need it)
Shuffle!
My Love Story!!
Angel Beats
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Not the movies, though)
Black Butler (seasons 1-2, haven't seen circus)
Deadman Wonderland
Yuki Yuna is a Hero
Red Garden
Hell Girl (most of the first season, am open to re-watching 1st season)
Mushishi (first season)
Chaotic (That counts, right?)
Angelic Layer
Rosario + Vampire
Gatchaman Crowds (and some of Insight, open to watching insight)
Akame Ga Kill
No Game No Life
Selector Infected Wixoss
Day Break Illusion
Bakugan (1st season only)
Shiki
Dangan Ronpa
Popotan
Gourmet Girl Graffiti
Spice and Wolf
Negima
Shangrila (open to rewatching)
Sword Art Online
XXXholic
The Devil is a Part-Timer
Sekirei
Mega Man Star Force
Baka and Test (season 1)
Cat Planet Cuties
Girls Bravo
My Bride is a Mermaid
C Control
Sasami Magical Girls Club
Princess Jellyfish
Okami-sana and her 7 friends
Fairy Tail
Tamako Market
Daigashi Kashi
Barakamon
Outbreak Compony
Shimoneta
Uta~Kata
Death Parade
BTOOOM!
My Hero Academia
Flip Flappers
Amagi Park Brilliant
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
Durarara!!
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Bungo Stray Dogs
Dance With Devils
One Week Friends
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun
Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?
A Corpse Lies Under Sakurako's Feet (Aka Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation)
Hamatora

Probably others but I don't care/ remember

No-nos: Zombies, sports, romance-as-the-driving-force stuff, ecchi and hype trains are iffy but I'll try them.

Hell yeahs: Tournament anime is always cool, also fantasy stuffs is also also cool. Sci-Fi works too. Really anything that's distanced from life by a tick is alright in my book. Slice-of-life is also nice. Something funny is also also nice.

Oh boy let's do it again.

My weeb list

Nopes: Not something that's dominated by characters that are tit monsters purely for the sake of being tit monsters. Also no yaoi or shonen ai; I don't swing that way. Anything else should be fine.

Yeahs: Yuri and shoujo ai. Also cute girls. You can just give me something from the list of stuff I haven't watched yet if you want.

I did the CC Secret Santa that one time, and I felt I did that well. (Not that these have much relation)

I'm ok with rewatches and I don't keep track of all ankles I've seen so w/e

No: Every character getting unnecessarily large amounts of fan service, basically no sexual moes. (A little fan service is ok. E.g. Some Revy scenes from Black Lagoon. Sex isn't the issue either, just no sheet made specifically for lonely men) I'm not a sports fan. No ninja or samurai based shows. (Shows like Grenadier are ok) No Harems. No heavy magic based anime unless it's like witches or some sheet.

Yes: Supernatural sheet. Shoot em ups. Slice of life comedies. More recent animes. Gore. Dark comedy. Absolutely fantastic osts.

[spoiler=sheet i've watched]

Youjo Senki

KonoSuba

Kobayashi's Maid Dragon

Kuzu no Honkai

Gabriel Drop-Out

Blue Excorcist

Little Witch Academia

Hand Shakers

Seiren

Chain Chronicle

Tales of Zesitiria the X

Madoka Magica + Rebellion

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Bungou Stray Dogs 

Classicaloid On Hold

Iron Blooded Orphans On Hold

Gundam SEED

Nanbaka 

Occultic;Nine 

Shuumatsu no Izetta 

Touken Ranbu Hanamaru 

TRICKSTER 

Watashi ga Motote Dousunda 

Yuri!!! on ICE 

Ao Oni 

Cheating Craft 

Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki 

91Days

BERSERK (2016) Dropped

Berserk (the better version)

Cheer Danshi

DanganRonpa (All Seasons)

Fate/Stay Night (Studio DEEN)

Fate/kalied liner S1

Fate/Zero

HATSUKOI MONSTER Dropped

Hitori no Shita Dropped

momokuri

SERVAMP

Tales of Zestiria the X

Taboo Tattoo Dropped

B-Project

Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

Joker Game

Kotetsujou no Kabaneri

Kiznaiver

Mayoiga

Re:Zero

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV

Durarara S1 (paused at S2)

Owari no Seraph 

Comet Lucifer

Concrete Revolutio (paused at S1)

K Project

The Perfect insider (paused)

Diabolik Lover (...unfortunately)

Kowabon

Free! (paused at S2)

Tokyo Ghoul (paused at S2)

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Gakou Gurashi

GANGSTA.

Gate Dropped

Ranpo Kitan

Rokka no Yuusha

Shimoneta

Little Witch Academia

Persona 3 Movies

Persona 4 

Persona 4 the Golden

Angel Beats

Death Parade

Hitsugi no Chaika S1

Garo S1

Akuma no Riddle

DRAMAtical Murder

Love Stage!!

Black Butler

Tokyo ESP

Sword Art Online (gagging)

Zankyou no Terror

BLACK BULLET

Eureka Seven

Blade & Soul Dropped

Gokukoku no Brynhildr

Kamigami no Asobi

Irregular at Magic High School

Mekaku City Actors

No Game No Life

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi

Blazblue: Alter Memory

Infinite Stratos S1

Devil is a Part-timer

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

Attack on Titan

Future Diary

Gurren Lagan

Ouran Highschool Host Club

Evangelion

Utena

Gravitation

Hamtaro

InuYasha

Hellsing (original and newer one)

Hikaru no Go

Cowboy Bebop

Shaman King

Ghost in the Shell

All things Ghibli

GetBackers

Black Lagoon

NHK

Le Chevalier d'Eon

Gakuen Heaven

Higurashi

Umineko

Nana

Princess Princess

Strawberry Panic

School Days

Venus Versus Virus

Junjou Romantica

Michiko to Hatchin

Toradora!

Paradise Kiss

Kino's Journey

Cardcaptor Sakura

Ixion Saga

No. 6

Shin Sekai Yori

Yuri Kuma Arashi

Soul Eater

Shiki

Panty & Stocking

Guilty Crown

HunterxHunter (watched the old series, and I'm in the middle of the new series)

What I like: I really like animes with respectfully portraited LGBT+ characters. In terms of genre I really like mystery or horror type stuff, though I also really like a good fantasy anime. I can usually find something I like in almost anything I watched (I mean for god sake I watched two f***ing seasons of SAO). To be perfectly honest as long as they art/animation looks good, and the plot is decent I'll watch just about anything. Also I like seeing good romance and shoujo anime, though I'm a little hesitant about shoujo anime cause sometimes they're sexist or rape-y. 

What I don't like: No hentai or ecchi. While I do have some tolerance for titty characters, so long as the show's not over populated with them, and the plot is good, having to watch fanservice stuff tends to lower my opinion of an anime. Also Harem stuff is almost always a deal breaker for me because of how they treat women, though I have seen a few "harem" anime that are alright. 

Basically copy pasted from the last time we did this

I'm so not right for this, like that one guy on every message board who constantly writes about how anime is subhuman garbage made by Japanese pedophiles would be a better fit for this than me, but you've got so few people I pity you and I feel like making a bad decision, so here I am.

[spoiler=The List]

The List

Most of my list is unscored, but my top 5 would be something like:

Madoka Magica

Kino's Journey

Hunter x Hunter

Gurren Lagann

Nisemonogatari, probably?

What I Don't Like: Everything. That's...not a really joke, unfortunately. I'm naturally very critical, and on top of that I seem to have painted myself into a mental corner whereby it's almost impossible for something not to drastically disappoint me. I sound like a fun guy, don't I? But as for specific no-no's, the less ecchi the better, and absolutely, absolutely no visual novel adaptations, or stories about characters switching bodies. If you must give me a light novel anime, make it a garbage one so I can at least have some fun with it. The 'good' light novels are excruciating.

What I Do Like: Hm. Fantastical/sci-fi/genre/etc is better than not. I value competence over brilliance. Um...fun is better than boring? Did you assume that already? Also, give me something with a legal stream (I'm in the US so that's not hard). Philosophically, I'd rather torrent than stream, but it's too much effort.

I'm so not right for this, like that one guy on every message board who constantly writes about how anime is subhuman garbage made by Japanese pedophiles would be a better fit for this than me, but you've got so few people I pity you and I feel like making a bad decision, so here I am.

[spoiler=The List]

The List

Most of my list is unscored, but my top 5 would be something like:

Madoka Magica

Kino's Journey

Hunter x Hunter

Gurren Lagann

Nisemonogatari, probably?

What I Don't Like: Everything. That's...not a really joke, unfortunately. I'm naturally very critical, and on top of that I seem to have painted myself into a mental corner whereby it's almost impossible for something not to drastically disappoint me. I sound like a fun guy, don't I? But as for specific no-no's, the less ecchi the better, and absolutely, absolutely no visual novel adaptations, or stories about characters switching bodies. If you must give me a light novel anime, make it a garbage one so I can at least have some fun with it. The 'good' light novels are excruciating.

What I Do Like: Hm. Fantastical/sci-fi/genre/etc is better than not. I value competence over brilliance. Um...fun is better than boring? Did you assume that already? Also, give me something with a legal stream (I'm in the US so that's not hard). Philosophically, I'd rather torrent than stream, but it's too much effort.

No matter what your present is, I'm gonna recommend you something personally.

Shit that Ive watched: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/MoogInRow?status=1 (You can also recommend me something thats from my plan to watch list because its pretty fuckin huge)

Shit I dig: I tend to lean more towards dark, weird, psychological stuff and really artsy kind of stuff. I can go fine with accessible stuff but those arent usually what I like best. Sci-Fi is cool with me and I love hyperviolent stuff. One thing that I love a lot is visuals, I fucking love shows that have tons of aesthetics and really off beat looking visual styles. Furries are cool too k? Preferably full on furfaggotry and not semi-furry but semi-furry is also still okay.

Shit I dont dig: Despite my huge love for horror the majority of horror anime ive seen are not to my liking. Im also not very fond of ecchi, harems, slice of life, or any sort of cutesy moe kind of stuff. Romance is also not a very large high point for me. However none of these are absolute and I can definitely be lenient if you feel that one of these types of shows would have certain aspects that id like about it.

These are among my favorite things to happen on a regular basis on YCM, so pretty pumped to see it again. See here we-a go. Just like last time, my animus are listed from most-liked to least-liked in order.

[spoiler=Stuff I've watched and loved]

Dennou Coil

My Hero Academia

One Punch Man

Gurren Lagann

Mob Psycho 100

Death Parade

Medabots

Little Witch Academia (TV)

[spoiler=Stuff I've watched and liked]

Last Exile / Fam the Silver Wing

Working!! and www.Working!!!

Konosuba!

Death Note

Yugioh and spinoffs (duh)

Megaman NT Warrior

Erased

Code Geass

Kiznaivers

[spoiler=Stuff I've watched/tried and disliked]

Yuri on Ice

Samurai 7

Watamote

What I Like: Good plots and/or strong characters. If it's something light-heated and comedic, my only desire is that the characters are good and the humor is strong; strong plot not required. Otherwise, I'm fairly loose on genres

What I Don't Like: plots that reek of the writers making it up as they go (looking at you, Code Geass), fanservice/T&A, and shows that are just positively bloated in episode count/pacing issues abound! (looking at you, Shonen anime. Yes I know YGO is on that list). It goes without saying that I'm also not a fan of yaoi or yuri.

When we send in our choices, should we give a "here's why I picked this show for you" sort of explanation, or just give the name of the show?

If you want to tell your giftee a small something, go for it. You can tell me why you gave it, but thats your choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived