Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

~ Merci's Individuals / Character Nostalgia ~

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

8 replies to this topic

Merciful Idiot

Merciful Idiot

~ this world is mine ~

• Senior Members
  • 7,430 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Forgive me, for I have only just discovered the existence of this database. And I love its very concept. Why have I not heard about it earlier?!

Merci's Individuals
Character Nostalgia

Greetings. My name is Merciful Idiot. I used to be an avid roleplayer, and a rather active participant on this site as well. By now, I've dwindled away, consumed by all kinds of silly real life duties~

But god do I love character creation. Just, being able to flesh out different characters excites me. Defying conventions. Providing all sorts of quirks. Solidifying their backstories...

Most of you probably don't know me, but if you do, it'll probably be for being the owner of that overly massive thing called the Grand Crossover RP. As well as a way for me to conclude the loooonnnggg story of my own dimension-hopping Mary Sues, I originally devised it as a method for people to find joy in reusing their old characters, within a serious character-driven plot. It's always such a shame to have to part from a character you like, and to my incredible delight, many others felt the same way. That's pretty much the only reason the GCRP has lasted this long. I'll talk about it, and its characters, in more detail once it has finally concluded.

Now then.

If you passersby do not mind, I would like to use this thread as a compendium for my past characters, who brought joy to my own 'lil heart.

(Character List Upcoming.)

Merciful Idiot

Merciful Idiot

~ this world is mine ~

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,430 posts
I'll be talking about my particular favourites, as well as ones that stand out in memory, once I get to them~

Having been roleplaying since 2009-2010 on this site, there's quite a few I could be covering, but I'll start slow and begin to cover them as I go along. ^^

Amaya Mikinami

araRIU2.jpg

Ludum de Morte, by Giga

September 2014

Application

Homeless girl turned cute meido, basically~

I believe Giga approached me on Skype, convincing me to join his roleplay? It had a really cool concept that could be boiled down to 'would you kill to save yourself?', so I was completely on-board with it. Seven characters would be assigned a target to kill amongst each other, whilst not knowing the name of the other. It sounded so lovely, though a lack of engagement in the story proper made it dwindle out pretty quickly, ah.

I spent ages thinking up an application for Ludum de Morte. I originally aimed to just make a homeless girl, someone who'd know how to survive and wield a knife while be fairly interesting to write about. But while looking online, I came across images similar to the one I used above. There was quite a few of them - about a guy who's done a popular cosplay of Sakuya Izayoi with a mask - and the whole maid outfit pretty much inspired me to incorporate the maid cafe side of it. Somehow, that combination between homelessness and maid cafe genuinely resonated with me. Like, "oh my god, this is such a cute character! Don't you just wanna give her a hug?!".

Also, while I sometimes fail with names, I feel like the name 'Amaya Mikinami' really clicks well with her as a character. Amaya meaning 'night rain' and Mikinami being the name of a Japanese battleship. May sound a bit weird, but if I had to name a creation whose name I was most satisfied with, it would be Amaya Mikinami.

I didn't get much of an opportunity to show off her human side in the roleplay proper, as her survival instincts were firing at max. Although, even when she hasn't seen use outside of that RP, I've actually based an entire otome plot document around her just because. Would love to get around to that sometime in the future...

As a whole, I just find Amaya really lovely, having been fond of her to this day~

Hachimitcher-Lemon

Hachimitcher-Lemon

His Mitcher's Ship

• Back Alley Alliance
  • 2,237 posts
    Last Visit Oct 14 2018 02:53 AM
  • Alias:Mitcher

As someone playing a maid in a different RP I have an obligation to comment, if you don't mind it:

I totally understand wanting to make this character. Sakuya with a face mask looking all meek and defenseless is super cute. And then make her homeless and the moe is unreal.

That said personality is fairly standard. It's probably more than good enough when you actually play her but it's not too interesting to read. Her history is more interesting, it feels like there's two different settings mixed into her. One is her barely scraping by to live, in a society that's harsh and unfair. Then she stumbles into the maid cafe and the genre of her story up to that point changes. If this was still in the same city it feels a little inconsistent as-is but it's backstory so that's kind of fine? Although, it is the modern age(since it's an internet cafe) and it's just kinda weird they didn't turn her over to the police or something. This part I wouldn't mind having more text to elaborate on even though usually I prefer short bios. Either way, her finding peace in that cafe but then being pulled away from that daily life and having to kill to live again is an interesting development that incorporates the RP's setting into her story.

On a weebier note I don't really like her name. It sounds much too grandiose for a homeless mysterious internet cafe maid killer. Mikimiya I can believe one of the maids/workers there was really into anime and named her after another anime character that had Japanese warship names for last names but Amaya sounds weird. A quick google search shows some people have it as their last names(with different kanji, usually involving heaven rather than rain as the 'ama' part). Maya sounds more homely and likely as a name someone'd give to someone without one, for example. And if you wanted to keep night and rain as the kanji for her name (perhaps they named her after the weather when she arrived, after all), 'Yau' would be an actual word with those two, and 'Yosame' would be another possible reading although neither are used as names but I like the homely sound 'Yosame' gives. Maybe I'm giving too much attention to such a minor detail though.

BOYS, BE AMBITIOUS!

Posted Image

Merciful Idiot

Merciful Idiot

~ this world is mine ~

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,430 posts

As someone playing a maid in a different RP I have an obligation to comment, if you don't mind it:

I totally understand wanting to make this character. Sakuya with a face mask looking all meek and defenseless is super cute. And then make her homeless and the moe is unreal.

Yeeessssssssssssssssss~~~

That said personality is fairly standard. It's probably more than good enough when you actually play her but it's not too interesting to read. Her history is more interesting, it feels like there's two different settings mixed into her. One is her barely scraping by to live, in a society that's harsh and unfair. Then she stumbles into the maid cafe and the genre of her story up to that point changes. If this was still in the same city it feels a little inconsistent as-is but it's backstory so that's kind of fine? Although, it is the modern age(since it's an internet cafe) and it's just kinda weird they didn't turn her over to the police or something. This part I wouldn't mind having more text to elaborate on even though usually I prefer short bios. Either way, her finding peace in that cafe but then being pulled away from that daily life and having to kill to live again is an interesting development that incorporates the RP's setting into her story.

It isn't a surprise to hear about the personality aspect, as Amaya's one of my most down-to-earth characters, and I wanted to start this compendium off with a straightforward character~ Although, personality-wise, I prioritize fleshing out characters in the RP proper as opposed to trying to define everything about them in the application - characters tend to be fluid, changing too quickly when you're actually roleplaying as them, ya'know? With few exceptions, I try to keep personality to one paragraph, two at most - while I pour much of my effort into their backstory.

I personally wouldn't say the city part is inconsistent - maid cafe or not, all cities have dynamic, complicated populations - but I do see what you mean with the maid cafe aspect. In the otome document I detailed on her, I wrote a heck of a lot about the maid cafe, including its owner, the various workers and particularly events surrounding her entry. It's weird for sure, but eh, people do weird things. I certainly see where you're coming from of course, and fleshing out the decisions of the workers in the biography proper would certainly help to understand how things came to be. If nothing else, it'd make for a cool, heartwarming side story~

On a weebier note I don't really like her name. It sounds much too grandiose for a homeless mysterious internet cafe maid killer. Mikimiya I can believe one of the maids/workers there was really into anime and named her after another anime character that had Japanese warship names for last names but Amaya sounds weird. A quick google search shows some people have it as their last names(with different kanji, usually involving heaven rather than rain as the 'ama' part). Maya sounds more homely and likely as a name someone'd give to someone without one, for example. And if you wanted to keep night and rain as the kanji for her name (perhaps they named her after the weather when she arrived, after all), 'Yau' would be an actual word with those two, and 'Yosame' would be another possible reading although neither are used as names but I like the homely sound 'Yosame' gives. Maybe I'm giving too much attention to such a minor detail though.

Nah, I wouldn't see the name as minor. It's a crucial aspect as to how you perceive that character, at least if you ask me. Of course, this isn't her original name, so justifying the grandioseness is easy - I do feel like she would adopt a name maximizing her cuteness/coolness factor as a maid, and how would a homeless, uneducated girl know any better? Pfft~

Yosame seems like an alright name, but lacks that feminine tinge to it? I do agree with you on the homeliness of 'Maya' though, and honestly would be fine with dropping the A. So... 'Maya Mikimiya' I could probably get around. Captures the spirit of the original name. And, gotta love 'em alliterations. So yeah, thanks for the feedback! :D

YrnavAW.jpg

THE ROLEPLAYING HALL OF FAME

The Grand Crossover RP

Hachimitcher-Lemon

Hachimitcher-Lemon

His Mitcher's Ship

• Back Alley Alliance
  • 2,237 posts

Although, personality-wise, I prioritize fleshing out characters in the RP proper as opposed to trying to define everything about them in the application - characters tend to be fluid, changing too quickly when you're actually roleplaying as them, ya'know? With few exceptions, I try to keep personality to one paragraph, two at most - while I pour much of my effort into their backstory.

I kind of half agree with this approach myself actually, although for me, either the personality or the backstory is sufficient enough. I'm kind of not a fan of how YCM's RP rules kinda force you to properly write out both a biography and a personality section when a lot of times only one of them is sufficient enough to allow hosts to understand what kind of character they're dealing with, while still allowing enough room for flexibility and growth. I don't dislike this character's personality, I just sorta wish it wasn't written out that much in the first place since the biography more or less conveys enough imo.

As for the city part, they are complicated but only if they're given actual screentime to be developed. Here it's a tidbit paragraph in an RP character's backstory and judging by the RP's concept I'm not sure it was ever going to be relevant in-text. If I had the choice I would've combined personality/biography into a single section and spend barely a paragraph on that first half, and then write out even more of the bio than was what was already there. It sounds like I'm nitpicking and it is nitpicking, but I just don't like the structure I guess.

Yosame seems like an alright name, but lacks that feminine tinge to it? I do agree with you on the homeliness of 'Maya' though, and honestly would be fine with dropping the A. So... 'Maya Mikimiya' I could probably get around. Captures the spirit of the original name. And, gotta love 'em alliterations. So yeah, thanks for the feedback! :D

I'll also say that the gap between an innocent, perhaps childish-sounding, very non-feminine name like Yosame and her actual character actually makes it cuter but at this point it feels like I'm just pushing whatever I like onto homeless sakuya now.

BOYS, BE AMBITIOUS!

Posted Image

Merciful Idiot

Merciful Idiot

~ this world is mine ~

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,430 posts

Ahaha, that is rather true, Sasa. I personally feel like Personality and Biography should remain separate for the sake of simplicity, but I totally get where you're coming from. My talk about the city came mostly from the development document I wrote much afterwards; in the RP, at the time, it would've been a mere side note.

I won't lie that the application could've been much more structured. When I write an application, the biography acts as my top priority. From there, the personality becomes a section I simply need to fill in without making it seem half-assed, the extra detail there primarily to give it more flair. Besides, I treat the personality section much more flexibly IC-wise than I do the biography sections, so I don't think too much of it.

And not to worry. Whatever she's called, homeless Sakuya is the best <3

In any case~

Both of the following characters come from the same RP. I'm only just finding this out now, but apparently I started work on them on my 17th birthday (must've been uneventful), and finished them in the midst of a heavy fever...

While I'd hesitate to name either of these my favourites per se, they're nice examples of what my creations were normally like.

adcmiv.jpg
Sir Taylor Everest

"Ahh, it's hard to get what you want, isn't it~?"

「Emote」 by Giga
May 2015

Application: The Amazing Noble Knight of the False Sea

Taylor's one of those characters who could've easily turned out a mess due to the lack of direction, as well as the constant changes. Made for another one of Giga's RPs with an interesting concept (this one X-Men-esque, with people who possessing emotion-based powers, seeking a safehouse), the original emotion I intended for him was taken. In fact, the sheer amount of taken emotions and variety of powers was making it more and more difficult to be original, to the point that one if not a few users had to drop out due to the inability to be original.

Since nationality was a factor, I spent much of the initial planning focusing on the idea of making a 'Citizen from Sealand' (BECAUSE SEALAND IS BEAUTIFUL). I'm not sure where most of Taylor's quirks came from to be honest. I was building up the backstory that would drive him to develop an obsession with Sealand, to the point of escaping his home, but somewhere along the lines, Sealand turned into a mere footnote when it no longer fitted into the narrative.

For those who took the application at face value, reading it from start to finish, his backstory ended up written as a plot twist.

Ultimately, Taylor turned out rather compact; a lovely drag king whose persona derives from inner torment~ I remember spending an awfully long time searching for an appropriate picture for Taylor, as it had to be someone who was both masculine and feminine, as well as fun. He strikes me as one of those hot girly guys you'll typically see on Tumblr or Instagram, so I ultimately looked for fanart of such users and came across the current picture, just about capturing my impression of the character.

There isn't much to say about either the name or the powers, since both came from off the top of my head, linking to the theme of 'Longing'. The most notable thing I like about Taylor is his backstory; a simple twist on the classic childhood friends cliche.  This is faaar from the first character I've made who plays with gender, and there'll be a few more to come who approach it differently, seriously one could say.

Taylor is one of those characters who would start off as the clown, being involved in humorous if not outright awkward situations with the others, but this could've quickly taken a dark turn as the RP progressed.

The Kid

17aera.jpg

"Urgh, you smell horrible... Stay ten feet away from me at all times, understand?"

「Emote」 by Giga
May 2015

Application: The Kid

Ah yes, The Kid. It was obvious from the very start what appearance he would have, that being a kid version of Fate/stay night's dark priest Kotomine Kirei.

If there's one thing you should know about me, it's that I enjoy creating arrogant douchebag antagonists. And that I enjoy creating superpowered, twisted children. The Kid is the natural culmination of both of my favourite character types. 

A distorted childhood led to a simple, entertainingly dark personality. He's basically an angsty child with a warped ideology. A victim of the world with no concept of good and evil and OCD severely installed into him, only just beginning to develop complex emotions. His innocence lets him be an unusually powerful Emoter without the need for years of training, and I believed that withholding giving him a name would single him out as a 'yeah, you need to really watch out for this one'. It dehumanizes him, making him sound more akin to a walking tragedy as opposed to an actual young boy.

In the RP proper, his youth could've led to some rather interesting scenarios. Could he be taught proper morals? Couldn't he be easily manipulated? Is it right to kill a kid? And of course, who knows what puberty would do to that head of his, how would he react to crushes?

His moveset isn't particularly complex, but I spent a lot of time developing it since I needed to work a barrier-related ability into Disgust for the sake of the story. I like what I came up with - that he would start off with barriers protecting him from the repulsiveness of the outside world, then progress onto inflicting disgust, and finally resort to exploding himself in a rush of childlike frustration. 

Again, neither Taylor nor the Kid are my favourite characters per se, and I didn't get much opportunity to utilize either much in the Emote RP. Even so, I like what I came up for them, and feel that I was able to convey the 'emotion theme' in both rather well.

YrnavAW.jpg

THE ROLEPLAYING HALL OF FAME

The Grand Crossover RP

God Emperor Cow

God Emperor Cow

Neow

• Moderators
  • 11,603 posts
    Last Visit Today, 03:52 AM
  • Alias:Lord CowCow
  • Spouse:Shiki/Aix

I remember Taylor. They abandoned Louise mid-interaction. :T

8PBUpdp.gif

bury the year

bury the year

reach heaven through violence

• Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts
    Last Visit Oct 18 2018 05:50 AM
  • Alias:Rinne
Fwiw, Amaya is a legit name. Means "rainy night" (雨夜).

dAx113Q.gif

edh decks • ephara, god of the polishallar, the firefletcher • tuvasa the sunlit (wip)

decathlon challenge (1/10) • (azorius) • (dimir) • (rakdos) • (gruul) • emmara, soul of the accord • (orzhov) • (golgari) • (simic) • (izzet) • (boros)

Hachimitcher-Lemon

Hachimitcher-Lemon

His Mitcher's Ship

• Back Alley Alliance
  • 2,237 posts

Fwiw, Amaya is a legit name. Means "rainy night" (雨夜).

Just to make sure this post doesn't become spam I might as well reply to this too. I am nowhere near qualified enough so I hesitate to actually voice anymore than what I already have but, everywhere I looked up 雨夜 the reading's either あまよ(Amayo) or つや(Tsuya). Whereas looking up just あまや to see what Kanji goes with it as a name I've pointed out above in an earlier post.

I would like either an actual example of someone named 雨夜 that's read as Amaya, or a name site that lists it, the latter of which is not exactly reliable but since I've also only looked up that name on google I can't beg for more validity than that.

BOYS, BE AMBITIOUS!

Posted Image

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users