Ancient Gear Parallel Golem

Etlajh

Attribute: Earth

Machine/Xyz/Effect

Rank 8

Attack: 3200

Defense: 2800

2 Level 8 Earth monsters

Effect: If this card is Xyz Summoned using 2 "Ancient Gear" monsters, it gains the following effect:

- You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring summoning conditions, but its effects negated.

You can detach 1 Xyz Material to activate 1 of these effects. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. 

- Destroy 1 monster on the field. 

- Inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.

You can only activate 1 effect of "Ancient Gear Parallel Golem" per turn and only once that turn.

I would love some feedback on this card. This was made by a friend of mine and I thought it was a little too good but maybe that's just me.

If this card was Xyz Summoned using 2 "Ancient Gear" monsters, it gains the following effect.

- You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring its summoning conditions, but it cannot attack this turn. You can only use this effect of "Ancient Gear Parallel Golem" once per turn. 

Once per turn: You can activate 1 of these effects. This card cannot attack the turn this effect is activated. 

- Inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.

- Destroy 1 monster on the field. 

The overall effect was rather gimmicky, and looking back at it, I'm not sure if I OCGed it correctly. I'd look at rewriting the entire card's effect to make it more cohesive in design.

In terms of balance... I think 4k damage from a single card is a little too much. You can detach to SS another copy from the ED and proceed to attack directly with Obelisk the Tormentor as effect damage. During Link format, this wouldn't be an issue (yet) as only 1 EMZ can be used at a time. But pre-Links it might be a bit much. Non-targeting ignition destruction looks fine. 

Would recommend re-vamping the card in terms of its first effect to limit itself to other ED Ancient Gear other than itself, or changing it so that their effects are negated the turn they are summoned instead of preventing them from attacking. Re-writing the card's effects out to make it more cohesive would also help.

Other than that it seems fine. I haven't tried calculating its actual potential with the new ancient gear cards yet, but from a first glance those are the changes that I'd recommend you doing. 

Thank you for the feedback.

I will try and change the card so it is better worded but english isn't my first language but I'll try my best.

But it can't special summon itself since it's an Xyz and it special summons Fusion monsters. With the new ancient gear support I guess you could burn for 5k in the first turn but that's going to require 3 specific cards (Geartown, Catapult, and Hound) and a random ancient gear monster. While this is possible it wouldn't be very strong as you would have 2 3200 beaters and maybe a spell or a trap set but that's best case scenario.

Thank you for the feedback.

I will try and change the card so it is better worded but english isn't my first language but I'll try my best.

But it can't special summon itself since it's an Xyz and it special summons Fusion monsters. With the new ancient gear support I guess you could burn for 5k in the first turn but that's going to require 3 specific cards (Geartown, Catapult, and Hound) and a random ancient gear monster. While this is possible it wouldn't be very strong as you would have 2 3200 beaters and maybe a spell or a trap set but that's best case scenario.

Yeah, my bad. I read the effect wrong. If it's just limited to Fusion monster that can't attack the turn they are Summoned, then it's fine.

It's just the wording that could be fixed with the effect stop make it less gimmicky then. 

It is indeed pushing it with the "detach:Summon an AG Fusion" effect, IMO. You could take the approach of Cyber Dragon Nova and make it float into an Ancient Gear Fusion monster if it is destroy by battle or an opponent's card effect; you can further keep it check by also adding the requirement of 1 AG attached to it upon its destruction.

As for the other effect... it would be fine if it didn't outclass Gustav Max, which burns for the same amount, costs a material detachment, has 200 less ATK than this card's and is 2 Ranks higher; although in exchange is has generic material requirements. Still, I would make this card burn 1000~1500 just to be fair; besides, more often than not you will use the removal effect except when finishing the opponent. Oh, also make it detach for this effect, now that it would no longer detach for the summoning effect.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

I've changed the card a lot from it's initial design and I hope it's not too broken now.

Yeah, it's pretty nerfed now imo. My judgment is based more on the current metagame where Zoodiacs and Paleozoics are running rampant, which is why I don't mind somewhat stronger effects for cards. The general effect is much more coherent now, and although not as strong as your original, it's still an okay card to be added into a AG Deck. 

There's a small mistake with "- You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring summoning conditions, but it has it's effects negated."

Should be changed to "but its effects are negated." at the end of that effect, but like I said, very minor card grammar mistake. I just thought mentioning it could help you keep an eye out for the effects of future cards you create.

Yeah, it's pretty nerfed now imo. My judgment is based more on the current metagame where Zoodiacs and Paleozoics are running rampant, which is why I don't mind somewhat stronger effects for cards. The general effect is much more coherent now, and although not as strong as your original, it's still an okay card to be added into a AG Deck. 

There's a small mistake with "- You can detach 1 Xyz Material; Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear" Fusion monster from your Extra Deck, ignoring summoning conditions, but it has it's effects negated."

Should be changed to "but its effects are negated." at the end of that effect, but like I said, very minor card grammar mistake. I just thought mentioning it could help you keep an eye out for the effects of future cards you create.

Thank you for saying that I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind when I make cards in the future. 

Archived