[Written] Betwixt and Between

Fukato

Normal Spell Card

Effect: Each player excavates the top card of their Deck until they excavate a monster, then the player who excavated the monster with the most ATK adds that card to their hand. Banish all your other excavated cards and send all your opponent's other excavated cards to the Graveyard. You can only use 1 "Betwixt and Between" per turn.

Like "Reasoning" but weirder?

Had to take some time to research Shiranui cards and Kozmos ever since Dark Destroyer + Reasoning + E-tele got limited to 1, and their recent stats in tournaments. Finally finished and I think I can give an accurate review of the card.

Oh, and we can't forget about Kaijus as well. Did the same for them.

The 100 LP cost doesn't seem to be necessary. Unlike reasoning, who doesn't have any hard OPT clause in its effect, nor a cost, this card wouldn't need any additional cost to activate it. Unless the 100 LP has something to do with the flavour here, which I can't see, then there really isn't any need for it to be there.

Anyways, this card feels like it'd benefit Kozmos and Shiranui the most because Kozmos have a much easier time retrieving their banished monsters than other archetypes, and Shiranui can also recycle to an extent while triggering effects off banishing. Due to the hard OPT, you'd most likely only see 1-2 copies at most in these Decks. Kaijus revolve around slumber more in order to make plays, but this card could act as a secondary search for them to get an instant Kaiju, since most top tier decks have low attack main Deck monsters.

There wasn't any broken or troubling combos I calculated with the archetypes, and this card definitely wouldn't give them an insane powerboost from what I can tell. In terms of balance, nothing wrong here. Just an okay tech card which could enable some decent plays.

An additional bonus would be the possibility of banishing a limited card in your opponent's Deck that's essential to the archetype. E.G Cir and Graff, which can cause some unintentional shutdown. Good for you, and bad for the opponent. Palaeozoics suffer something similar since they're S/T reliant Lol, but hey, it's limited to a hard OPT so it's fine IMO.

So overall, the card itself fits the casual category well. I don't see any changes necessary other than the 100 LP cost, which seems a bit redundant. 

Guest BGMCANN0N

This would probably be devastating against Decks with a low Monster to Spell/Trap ratio like Spellbooks and Paleozoics... I think those Deck would cry at the sight of this knowing full well that there is a possibility that more than half their deck would be banished. XD So you could also view this as a Side card to some extent.

Yeah, this card would outright destroy Spell/Trap-heavy decks like the aforementioned Paleozoics, and maybe Demise variants (e.g. Demise True Dracos) and deck-killing cards like that aren't cool. How about make the opponent mill his/her excavated cards, while you still banish yours? That should make it more fair.

By the way, rest in peace, Betwixt & Between

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1aHak-gaM

Archived