Uggla6 Released Set - Week 10

Uggla6

ALCYONOSTS

Well I've come out of retirement to play one of my favorite Yugioh decks of all time this format. Given that I've topped and plan on going to Nationals, I've started to get back into the game and thus some of my creative archetypes have come back. With all the crazy hand trap play going around, I tried making a deck that is immune to them.  Ash only works on the field spell or the fusion spell, but neither are all that crippling. Ghost Ogre only works on the fusion monster and that is all, but it's useless.  Winter Cherries could be utilized against the Fusion monster, but you can still play around it. Maxx C is still powerful and Flying C can have an effect if played right. Droll&Lock Bird, Effect Veiler, and Retaliating C are pointless. So clearly the deck didn't turn out to be immune to the hand traps, but they can be played through and they do not completely stop plays in their tracks. In the meantime while I tried to achieve that goal, I came across a very fun mechanic for the deck that I still this is worth looking at. The archetype of Alcyonosts revolves around banishing your own cards from the top of your deck to special summon themselves from the hand to spam the field with level 3s. They have very simple and short effects, but the fact that they are hard once per turns if what makes them good. Their ultimate goal is to banish their opponents hand and peck away their life points. Papagaj is the best card as it is a recycling resources that if you're lucky (sacky) enough you can use to banish most of your deck. Plameniak is the beater of the deck at 1700 and also useful for removal, but the worst of the Alcyonosts. Pav is essentially the searcher of the deck, because when banished she can banish any monster you need and thus the best card to banish from the deck. Tanager is the very powerful fusion monster that helps accumulate resources. And finally Zeriav is the powerful boss Xyz that seals games for you. The field spell and fusion care are both very powerful cards that help the deck run, but should be restricted enough as to not allow abuse in other decks. The trap card is a niche card that helps fix one of the deck's biggest weakness. Other than preventing banishing, the deck has huge problems when monsters are in their grave. This prohibits a player from running hand traps in the deck. Thus you must find ways to keep monsters out of the Graveyard. Finally, I had to be careful with the fact that it uses the banishing mechanic as card like Macro Cosmos, Dimensional Fissure, and Necroface will be played and can be potentially abused if not designed right. Overall I hope you you enjoy the archetype, feel free to comment or make your own deck list with the cards (mine is below). Sorry for the long paragraph here, but I'm happy to be back.

[spoiler=Papagaj]AIcyonost_Papagaj.jpg

Alcyonost Papagaj (Level 3 WIND Winged-Beast 1500/900)
If there are no monsters in your Graveyard: You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face-up; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is banished: You can add this card to hand.

[spoiler=Plamaniek]AIcyonost_Plameniak.jpg

Alcyonost Plameniak (Level 3 WATER Winged-Beast 1700/300)
If there are no monsters in your Graveyard: You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face-up; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is banished: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it.

[spoiler=Pav]AIcyonost_Pav.jpg

Alcyonost Pav (Level 3 EARTH Winged-Beast 200/2000)
If there are no monsters in your Graveyard: You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face-up; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is banished: You can banish 1 “Alcyonost” monster from your Deck, except “Alcyonost Pav”.

[spoiler=Tanager]AIcyonost_Tanager.jpg

Alcyonost Tanager (Level 6 FIRE Winged-Beast 2000/2000)
2 “Alcyonost” monsters
When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can target up to 2 of your banished “Alcyonost” monsters; Special Summon them. You can banish this face-up card you control; add 1 banished “Alcyonost” monster to you hand.

[spoiler=Zeriav]AIcyonost_Zeriav.jpg

Alcyonost Zeriav (Rank 3 LIGHT Winged-Beast 0/3000)
4 Level 3 Winged-Beast-Type monsters
If this card is Xyz Summoned: Banish all cards in your hand face-up, then you opponent chooses an equal number of cards in their hand or their entire hand and banishes them face-up. Unaffected by your opponent’s card effects. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; add 1 banished “Alcyonost” card to your hand.

[spoiler=Trap]AIcyonost_s_Uncaging.jpg

Alcyonost's Uncaging (Normal Trap)
Target up to 5 banished “Alcyonost” cards; shuffle those targets into your Deck. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target up to 3 "Alcyonost" cards in your Graveyard; shuffle them into the Deck. If this card is banished:  Banish all monsters in your Graveyard.

[spoiler=Fusion Spell]AIcyonost_s_Fusion.jpg

Alcyonost’s Fusion (Normal Spell)
Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, by banishing monsters you control as Fusion Materials, and its ATK becomes 0 until the End Phase. If this card is in your Graveyard and there is a banished “Alcyonost” monster: You can shuffle this card into the Deck, then draw 1 card. If this card is banished: You can add this card to hand.

[spoiler=Field Spell]Transmogrification_of_the_AIcyonosts.jpg

Transmogrification of the Alcyonosts (Field Spell)
When this card is activated: Banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face-up, then each player draws 1 card. Any monster or Xyz Material sent to your Graveyard is banished instead.

[spoiler=Decklist]
Monsters (13):
3 Alcyonost Papagaj
3 Alcyonost Plameniak
3 Alcyonost Pav
2 Necroface*
2 Shiranui Spiritmaster*

Spells (19):
3 Alcyonost's Fusion
3 Transmogrification of the Alcyonosts
3 Terraforming*
3 Gold Sarcophagus*
2 D.D.R. - Different Dimension Reincarnation*
2 Soul Release*
1 Upstart Goblin*
1 Raigeki*
1 Dimensional Fissure*

Traps (8):
3 Alcyonost's Uncaging
3 Solemn Strike*
1 Solemn Warning*
1 Macro Cosmos*

Extra Deck (15):
3 Alcyonost Tanager
1 Alcyonost Zeriav
1 Number 39: Utopia Beyond*
1 Number 24: Dragulus the Vampiric Dragon*
1 Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon - Airraid*
1 Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon*
1 Abyss Dweller*
1 Number 47: Nightmare Shark*
1 The Phantom Knights of Break Sword*
1 Super Quantal Mech Beast Grampulse*
2 Leviair the Sea Dragon*
1 Number 49: Fortune Tune*

Side notes. This deck is meant to play very consistently and make its Zeriav play on a regular basis. The Necroface is a very dangerous card as it can mess you up and make you run out of deck resources, but it can help brick hands and you get over larger monsters as the deck cannot really get around monsters larger than 2000 on a regular basis. It also can recycle your deck if you're lucky enough to draw it. Other variants may choose to play more of the Shiranui archetype, but honestly they effectively need large grave resources which this deck cannot operate with. Fairy Tail - Snow could be used to clear the grave out of any unfortunate monsters that may end up there. This is a really big problem for the archetype and is the reason why Alcyonost's Uncaging is ran at 3, Soul Release is also played, and Fortune Tune makes the Extra Deck. Overall this deck is very power and scary to play against. I'd reckon that if released today it would be tier 1. Going 1st it can consistently beat all decks. It is nearly immune to hands traps and can power through them making consistently strong opening boards. The deck struggles going 2nd, as a single Solemn card will cost you the game (this is why you play the random Soul Releases). Additionally it struggles to get over established boards, larger monsters, and can't not run hand traps in the line up without affecting the deck's mechanic. Also, it's ultimate power play is maximized when your opponent has more cards in hand and thus even getting the play off, if the opponent is already set up, can be a lost cause. The deck's ability to main Macro Cosmos, Dimensional Fissure, and Soul Release instantly make it a great deck to break many of the meta decks. However, it's reliability on banishing makes siding going into games 2 and 3 easy for the opponent. This deck dies to Imperial Iron Wall and >Lancea< (Drop after the first special summon then watch them pass and then run over the lonely monster to send it to the grave and likely lock in the win), which would be sided regularly if this deck became popular so siding your own MSTs would be a must (No Twin Twisters as you don't want to discard a monster and no Cosmic Cyclone as if you don't chain to Imperial Iron Wall, it's completely dead).

This archetype and the deck list provided are both relevant before and after link format. The deck is designed for link format, but can be played with slightly better OTK potential in the legacy format.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived