[Planning] How Would You Write a YCM Story?

I think this goes here, move me if I'm wrong

Some of you may or may not know, I wrote a story back in 2010-2011 called Trio of DEF that was about the community of YCM members at the time. I based the three main characters off myself, DL (#1 poster), and our friend El Make, who left the site in 2012. 

It started off as a high school story with vigilante gangs all filled with teenagers in high school (because of course) and it escalated to a global war with crazy sci-fi weapons and battles. It wasn't that well-written and had many flaws similar to Bleach's, but I had fun with it.

I was wondering how I would go about writing a YCM story if I were to write one now (not planning to, just entertaining the thought).

[spoiler=I was thinking]

I'd have the MC be a new member joining YCM and the initial conflict would be trying to find their place in a community that seems tightly knit and not many other new members being around with them. In DEF, I had it take place in Yugo City to represent the forum with different areas representing the subforums. All the different factions in the story were based on famous clubs when C&O was active.

I think in this story, I'd have the setting resemble Tron where the characters would login and navigate this YCM cyber-space and occasionally flash to their IRL encounters, but I'd try to make it more interesting than bland digital landscapes. Maybe the Tron setting would apply to the four Intro/Question forums up top, like a meeting place where the community gathers to hash out issues, like a hub-world. 

I think one of the central plots would be member-mod relations and some of the arcs would entail electing a new mod, the Halloween/Easter events, a quest to add pendulums/links to the cardmaker, maybe some drama with members being banned and banned members returning, etc. And one chapter could focus on poking fun at Misc trends like AMAs.

The overall point/theme of the story would be in these members with different ideals coming to understand and accept one another and finding a way to revitalize the site to when it was much more active.

For any "fights," I'd say duels would be the best way to handle that, considering it's a Yugioh site. That'd be what I'd struggle with the most since I have no knowledge of the metagame nowadays.

So that was my idea. What'd you think and how would you guys go about writing a story about YCM?

You should definitely do this, I'd read the hell out of it. I know you said you were just entertaining the thought and all, but still.

I can't really help with the plot or setting stuff, but I can say having different sections be aesthetically different would really sell the idea that each section is pretty different from the others. RP could probably be a big island or something since most of its members generally don't leave the section very often if at all, so we're kinda disconnected from forum drama and even events unless it leaks into the section somehow or is especially big news. Duels, on the other hand, I can definitely give you some solid advice on. And that is: Don't worry about the metagame. In a written narrative, even Digibugs ca-pffffffffffft no that's too much of a stretch. Lemme try that again.

In a written narrative, even Ice Barriers can work out just fine because the draws aren't random; you decide if somebody has ultimate god-tier luck or not. Consistency is irrelevant, blah blah blah, as long as the deck can theoretically function, it'll work in a written narrative. So for decks, it would probably be better to just give members decks that they tend to talk about and/or use a lot. VCR_CAT would almost definitely use Trains for instance, and Chaos Sonic would probably play HEROs, whereas I'd more likely want to duel with Gusto or Shiranui. It could also be a fun learning experience for you on how a lot of different decks work, since you'd get/have to ask the members who tend to use them a lot how the decks work, what fun techs you could use, etc.

Another YCM fic by Fuse? You bet your green hat wearin' self I'd be reading this!!

Regardless of what you said about Trio of DEF, it was an amazing story that pretty much defined your place here and it showed what the Creative Writing thread could really do with the right author behind the keyboard. You've pretty much made others follow in your footsteps with plenty of others doing YCM fics! So you make a new one...its another great hit, just like DEF was/is! ;D

And besides....

Chaos Sonic would probably play HEROs

It keeps up with the theme of being YCM's Typecast Shonen Protagonist! ;D Honestly, in the Dueling narrative, what I do is look at the cards for specific archetypes that a character is using and use them, depending on the situation and the end result of the Duel that I want to happen.

For any other thing dealing in YCM, well, I know for a fact that you can come up with some impressive stuff man. Any specific ideas I have maaaaay prove a bit inferior. Nevertheless, when I get more ideas running around in my head, I'll let you know Fuse! I'm hyped for this, Wiseman...like you wouldn't believe! ^_^

ha can't leave me out this time =v=

I'm still trying to fix up HC and decide what format I want to go into with it. Slowly but surely...

also def is so funking ham funk

its still a tradition to read it every couple years

I wasn't even around then and even I enjoyed trio.

I have been starving for this kind of thing since Thar exploded, tbh.

the idea of using the top superforum as a kind of hub where people enter is an awesome idea. I totally get the aesthetic of having that place all technical (run by the top-notch AI Zakur-A) then once they move on past it they realize just how immense and diverse the forum is. Like, they expected it to be fairly simple, and about yugioh or whatever, but there is just S O M U C H S T U F F.

I appreciate all the enthusiasm! But I'm 100% not writing this, I don't have the time or dedication to give that it deserves. I also think someone else who's more well-versed and involved in the community would be a better pick to helm such a project. I was just curious seeing how other members would go about writing their own YCM story.

ha can't leave me out this time =v=

I'm still trying to fix up HC and decide what format I want to go into with it. Slowly but surely...

also def is so funking ham funk

its still a tradition to read it every couple years

Ham AND cheese.

God the cheese.

chris' monologues, good god

I wasn't even around then and even I enjoyed trio.

I have been starving for this kind of thing since Thar exploded, tbh.

the idea of using the top superforum as a kind of hub where people enter is an awesome idea. I totally get the aesthetic of having that place all technical (run by the top-notch AI Zakur-A) then once they move on past it they realize just how immense and diverse the forum is. Like, they expected it to be fairly simple, and about yugioh or whatever, but there is just S O M U C H S T U F F.

Huh, I never knew you read it. Thanks for reading!

I think I removed it from the original OP out of paranoia but I wouldn't mind editing it back in. I'd just need to ask a mod to help me out there.

I do think it'd be cool if we had another community story out. Thar's were great since they were released in digestible chunks and mainly were a good laugh. And decently written on top of that.

That's the thing, there's a lot of potential for setting and character groups with YCM's set-up. Just imagine our animeland with the weebs, or one chapter they could slip through the cracks and end up in the lost graveyard...Literature. Nothing but tumbleweeds and dusty books for miles until they find a way back to the forum.

I'd like to read a (purely fictional) psychological breakdown of a YCM user a la Armz

[Cornered Intensifies]

i was writing a story like DEF (albeit less ham) but 

a. I'm inexperienced and got little to no constructive criticism

b. Like 2 readers

rip

[Cornered Intensifies]

i was writing a story like DEF (albeit less ham) but 

a. I'm inexperienced and got little to no constructive criticism

b. Like 2 readers

rip

Took me too long to decipher your post but I can safely ignore everything past [cornered] right?

I'd kinda like something super realistic and dark and mopey in mood and stuff. Something narration-heavy that conveys the life of someone who's depressed and uses this site to escape, or something like that. Something where every happy line the narrator utters make you feel slightly more hopeful and everytime it goes down, so do you. Nothing fantastic, no unrealistic comical shenanigans, anything like that is presented entirely within the context of being made by strangers typing to each other over the internet.

I can't really help with the plot or setting stuff, but I can say having different sections be aesthetically different would really sell the idea that each section is pretty different from the others.

I was gonna suggest this. I always like the idea of TCG sections being some kind of old west locale with gun slingers and the mod as sheriff. Also think like the Salty Spatoon. "How tough are ya'?" and they duel and act like big dumb thugs when it comes to the card game.

Fanfic section would (obviously) be a library or something like that...

Just my opinion though...

I never read your original fic and I'm pretty sure I won't read the new one either. Though... woulda been nice to include a link if you had one. -shrug-

But it was too good!! It had an amazing concept behind it!

Would definitely love to see it make a comeback!

As would I!

Obviously your time is your own but I'd also be down to see this revisited.

I was gonna suggest this. I always like the idea of TCG sections being some kind of old west locale with gun slingers and the mod as sheriff. Also think like the Salty Spatoon. "How tough are ya'?" and they duel and act like big dumb thugs when it comes to the card game.

Fanfic section would (obviously) be a library or something like that...

Just my opinion though...

I never read your original fic and I'm pretty sure I won't read the new one either. Though... woulda been nice to include a link if you had one. -shrug-

That's a good idea. Duel Portal was what let you duel with your created cards, right? Maybe Duel Portal would be the Salty Spatoon type of area and TCG would be a super-small city hub-world like the one from Duel Monsters Genesis where people hang out and do practice duels to test ideas out.

In other news, where they'd be chillin' out with the crew in the schoolyard, findin' trouble never lookin' too hard

I'm not writing a new one, though I'd probably be more inclined to try if this were a few years ago.

You can currently read Trio of DEF here, I'll see if I can get a mod to edit the link into the original thread.

EDIT: Zai and Dad came in the clutch, you can now read DEF in the original thread.

Archived