[CIBR] Blasting Wire

... oh, cool, guess I'll start a topic this time.

DBiswo7UMAAmied.jpg

導爆線 Doubakusen (Blasting Wire)

Normal Trap Card

(1) Target 1 card in the same column as this Set card; destroy that card.

https://ygorganization.com/watchoutforthatcandlecannonsoldier/

Looks like this won't end well for Cannon Soldier, huh? Anyways, denizens of the TCG section, y'all know what to do.

But when you activate it, it's not set anymore!!!!!

Neat card though.

Activation condition are met before you even activate the card, so it is actually a Set card. It doesn't really matter though, since it doesn't have any impact on the effect.

The card is alright, but is probably not gonna be played since your opponent may choose the other EMZ instead of the one you are aiming for. Sure, you may run into times where you can hit a random card, but it's probably not going to be the game changer, and other cards offer way more options than this card does.

lnJDkHy.jpg

So this card depicts a moment before Blasting Fuse, huh?

It doesn't look that bad IMO. I mean, it's chainable, you can set it on columns with Extra Monster Zones for more effectiveness, and if you take an Extra Monster Zone first it makes it easier to play as you can just Set it on the remaining one the opponent it now forced to use without the need of guessing.

All I can think about (other than the amusing card image) is how cards like this and similar, while an interesting gimmick even within the Link era, is incredibly awkward in practice. I just think it's WEIRD for players to specifically choose what zones they place their cards in, and how these choices can look REALLY stupid when cards like this are involved.

Picture a playmat or something, disregarding the new existence of the EMZ. There are 5 monster slots, 5 S/T slots beneath their respective Monster Zone.

When I imagine the hypothetical playing of cards, I picture you typically playing your first monster in the middle zone (I suspect DN and older video games is the cause of this), then expanding outwards from there. Same with S/Ts. If both players operate similarly in this vein, the whole gameplay seems MOSTLY natural, because they're mirrors of one another.

If you start purposefully placing Monsters or S/Ts in DIFFERENT zones than "Normal", it looks really weird, and in cases of cards like this, suspicious as hell.

"What's that? You're suddenly Setting a card in the far left zone for no apparent reason? Either that's a really weird bluff, or you're running cards that depend on columns"

All I can think about (other than the amusing card image) is how cards like this and similar, while an interesting gimmick even within the Link era, is incredibly awkward in practice. I just think it's WEIRD for players to specifically choose what zones they place their cards in, and how these choices can look REALLY stupid when cards like this are involved.

Picture a playmat or something, disregarding the new existence of the EMZ. There are 5 monster slots, 5 S/T slots beneath their respective Monster Zone.

When I imagine the hypothetical playing of cards, I picture you typically playing your first monster in the middle zone (I suspect DN and older video games is the cause of this), then expanding outwards from there. Same with S/Ts. If both players operate similarly in this vein, the whole gameplay seems MOSTLY natural, because they're mirrors of one another.

If you start purposefully placing Monsters or S/Ts in DIFFERENT zones than "Normal", it looks really weird, and in cases of cards like this, suspicious as hell.

"What's that? You're suddenly Setting a card in the far left zone for no apparent reason? Either that's a really weird bluff, or you're running cards that depend on columns"

That's all part of the mindgames that make column mechanics so awesome. If you know your opponent plays this card, you'll be trying to summon monsters in columns that your opponent doesn't have backrow set in, but then you're liable to screw yourself over with regards to a Link play you wanted to make. So technical!

Oh, you can also Set it in the columns with the Pendulum Zones post-Links if you know or suspect your opponent is playing Pendulums. The card gets more amusing the more I think about it xD

Or you could set MST and destroy any of their S/T including the Pendulum....

Or you could set MST and destroy any of their S/T including the Pendulum....

but ur missing out on the fact that there's a main monster zone in the same column, so not really comparable

as far as simple destruction this prob """"outcreeps"""" raigeki break as far as cost since you have some control over which column you place.

makes choosing which extra zone more important, can be played around are all pretty nice features if this card ends up seeing play (unlikely af but still got my

In this day and age, even if they made a fully chainable normal Trap with the effect of "destroy 1 card on the field" I think it'd be debatable how much play it'd see.

A generic card without much +1 support that could search it out, and that it is a simple 1 for 1 on its own that gets rid of a single piece in a game where players win more advantage than that on average....  It isn't exactly like Twin Twister (a chainable +0 that takes a bigger chunk off the field and can make use of the discard) or Cosmic Cyclone (+0 one 4 one that hits that one target harder than other alternatives would).

It is essentially pack filler, much like "Bad Aim" http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Bad_Aim

However, it is the kind of pack filler I like a lot. I love to come up with custom blocks with these sorts of cards to create slower imaginary formats or VS pairs of decks to fool around with. I also can appreciate that it is not a bland "pop 1" effect but one that requires something to be fulfilled; something not too hard but not easy enough to be mindless. Plus, column mind-games sound fun. Senet's cards from CIDP were bad because the effects were rarely varied, clever, or worth it, but the game is trying to make the mechanic of zone management more of a thing overall... It'll work.

Archived