Welcome!

VCR_CAT

Welcome to the YCM Duel Portal Format! Or “YCMDPF” for short, OR “YDPF” for even shorter! DPF is a semi-competitive format meant for a more curated, balanced, custom dueling experience. Every custom archetype or set of generic cards must first be submitted to our judges, and once they meet our standards, will be accepted into the DPF card pool. 

Because DPF is an entirely custom format, we will not be using every card present in the standard Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Game, nor will we be using the official Advanced Tournament Banlist. However, we will be using a pool of cards from the existing game that we have chosen, as well as a custom banlist to go along with them. Of course, neither of these are final, and users will be allowed to request cards to be imported into the Duel Portal Format.

The intention behind this format is to offer a more curated custom card experience where everyone’s designs will be held to a higher standard. Tournaments will be run semi-regularly, and we hope that this format will offer a fun experience for both new and old designers alike.

Please keep in mind that if you do enter this format, your designs will be held to a higher standard and more will be expected of your cards. In many cases, it’s very probable that the criticisms you receive for your submissions are neither what you expected nor to your liking. However, do not be discouraged! Designing cards for a more curated format can be difficult, and while it’s our job as judges to provide respectful and helpful criticisms, it’s your job as a designer to listen to both the good and the bad criticism, and apply what others say to your work. A first draft is not likely to make it in, whether it be from a new or experienced designer, but we will do our best to help you see your designs to a proper realization for this format!

Now, to introduce the judges of the Duel Portal Format:

Drearia

Your friendly neighborhood in Darkness. Resident goth, very fond of making old bosses good and particularly DARK Decks, (Especially having played in the dawn of DAD) and formerly staff in various YCM Duel Portal formats, including the creator of 2099. As for my preferences, I tend to dislike cards that discourage player interaction, and I tend to play in sort of an aggro/control playstyle, usually aiming to out resource my opponent rather then keeping them out of the playing field.

Self-Destruct Button

Most known for reworking the same Archetype 25 times, I doubt anyone outside of the Duel Portal section has heard of me. I have been judge in one, two events, but outside of that not much notable activity. On DP, though, one could say I was there from the start, when the very first DP Format was attempted, and stuck around since then. I love Fusion Decks and absolutely despise “You can’t play”-cards like Crystal Wing or Vanity’s Emptiness. 

VCR_CAT

I’m a long time player of the game, and a veteran designer of the YCM community. When it comes to my designs, I like to focus on the battle phase as the center of the game and the primary win-condition of a given deck. I play a variety of decks, however I like to lean more towards beat-down decks and especially machine decks!

You can find us on our Discord Channel here: https://discord.gg/utS5wM5

Duel Portal does not yet have functionality for link monsters, so their rules will not be implemented until it does.

Also, this is not a 2099 reboot. Organized formats for duel portal predated 2099 by about a year. This has no card ownership system, not will it have scheduled releases, allowing the format to grow more freely and the game to be more accessible for everyone.

Duel Portal does not yet have functionality for link monsters, so their rules will not be implemented until it does.

Also, this is not a 2099 reboot. Organized formats for duel portal predated 2099 by about a year. This has no card ownership system, not will it have scheduled releases, allowing the format to grow more freely and the game to be more accessible for everyone.

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up. 2099 was the only instance of this I was familiar with, you see, and I thought it was a funny coincidence.

I find kinda ironic how Parenthesis states he prefers slower decks when one of his first DP archetypes was, IIRC, a big Beast & Rank7 spam & beat playstyle inspired on Green Baboon :v

I guess his preferences have changed since then xD

Anyway, I'm curious on what do you exactly mean with terms like "higher standards" and "semi-competitive" but I guess those will be cleared out as the details of the custom format are fleshed out. I mean, I'm guessing TCG good stuffs like Solemn Strike and maybe the Ghost Tuners will be a no-no, but then, what sort of cards will get green lights?

Archived