Spirit Support Xyz

theTUN

So, this is my first attempt at posting a new card here. Basically, it's an Xyz monster designed to provide support for spirit monsters. Looking forward to feedback.

037dzSC.jpg

2 or more level 4 monsters
Once per turn, when a face-up spirit monster you control would be returned to your hand by its own effect, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card, negate that effect. You can special summon spirit monsters, ignoring their effects, as long as this card has Xyz materials.

I'm not really seeing why I would want to use this over Spiritual Energy, which blocks all Spirit Monsters from going back to the hand for a discard. That being said, Spirit Monsters still lack a viable way to field the necessary materials; even with Shinobird / Espirit being released. I mean, yeah, it does have generic materials, but not really seeing how often they can play it in this era. 

Then again, at least you can choose which ones get bounced, but probably preference of wanting to have them all not return for a single discard, over individual returning. 

====

Also for the future, post the effect underneath.

I'm not really seeing why I would want to use this over Spiritual Energy, which blocks all Spirit Monsters from going back to the hand for a discard. That being said, Spirit Monsters still lack a viable way to field the necessary materials; even with Shinobird / Espirit being released. I mean, yeah, it does have generic materials, but not really seeing how often they can play it in this era. 

Then again, at least you can choose which ones get bounced, but probably preference of wanting to have them all not return for a single discard, over individual returning. 

====

Also for the future, post the effect underneath.

I was considering adding an effect where it allows you to special summon spirit monsters as long as it has Xyz material, would that be too powerful?

Well, all of the Spirit Monsters have that SS lock, so would be helpful for them to get rid of it. Then again, looking at current Spirit stuff, only speed Spirits have in terms of summoning is Niki(gi)tama to accelerate the NS game. It should be okay if you let them bypass the condition, as right now, don't see them getting to the current level of meta dominance like some of the other stuff is getting (but will make them get more field presence). 

Well, all of the Spirit Monsters have that SS lock, so would be helpful for them to get rid of it. Then again, looking at current Spirit stuff, only speed Spirits have in terms of summoning is Niki(gi)tama to accelerate the NS game. It should be okay if you let them bypass the condition, as right now, don't see them getting to the current level of meta dominance like some of the other stuff is getting (but will make them get more field presence). 

Well, I'll add it regardless, just to make it a bit more useful.

I think this could lead to some situational but fun combos with Hinokagutsuchu or Yamata Dragon by allowing them to be special summoned. However seeing how fast the game is these days I don't think its enough to be a problem. Especially since I don't think you could get hinokagutsuchi before your opponent commits cards to the field. Yamata Dragon might be better to get card advantage back late game.

You have a slight problem in the mechanics of your effect though:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Light_and_Darkness_Dragon

When “Light and Darkness Dragon” negates the activation of a Spirit monster's effect that would return it to its owner’s hand, the effect of the Spirit Monster activates again during the same End Phase. When the return effect of the Spirit Monster is activated during the End Phase while “Light and Darkness Dragon” has less than 500 ATK and DEF, the second effect of “Light and Darkness Dragon” will still activate, but it will not be able to negate the activation and the Spirit Monster will return to its owner's hand.

Based on this ruling, your card would use up its materials and then the spirit monster would try to return to the hand again after.

A better text would be something like "Once per turn, during the End Phase: you can detach 1 xyz material from this card; this turn, Spirit monsters you control do not have their effects activated that return them to the hand." or something similar.

Great job for a new member though.

Archived