Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Blake

I do think that Refresh is a nice thing to have, for me I figured not using it would make the game more challenging, though it might've prevented instances like wiping to Araquanid or Togedemaru ('cuz that did happen in my US run)

It is amazing how much you can play with the difficulty in Pokemon. Do you have on Switch Battle? Do you have on EXP Share? Do you use Refresh? Do you use outside Pokemon?

I actually had the EXP Share on, but moreso because I didn't beat every trainer in the game (because I know I skipped a few people at Vast Poni, including all of the ones near the first area of Poni) or didn't grind enough. I invested in Refresh though for added EXP and the chance of my 'mons surviving hits, but...wasn't enough except for that last shot.

Skipping trainers can easily cost you several levels. The EXP scaling really makes each battle important. That is one of the reasons I was trying to grind in the wormholes since level 60 Pokemon give a lot of EXP and if you hit Audino that is over 6000 EXP with the boosted EXP.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is amazing how much you can play with the difficulty in Pokemon. Do you have on Switch Battle? Do you have on EXP Share? Do you use Refresh? Do you use outside Pokemon?

For me, I had no issue with using the exp share, and I do prefer to play on switch. Though I wouldn't mind doing a run on set to be fair.

But yeah, it is amazing how difficult you can make a run by setting all sorts of interesting conditions.

I've beaten Ultra Necrozma 3 times (I made a new game in US to do a Nuzlocke). It's not actually as hard as everyone seems to think if you have the right Pokemon. 

The first time I had a Malamar who tanked a Dragon Pulse and used Topsy Turvy, making the fight significantly less of an issue. The second time, I used Metagross, who resists literally every one of Ultra Necrozma's attacks (You can also do this with Magnezone). The last time I just cheesed it with Zoroark disguised as Dragalge.

Well, it was about time though. Now I wish Liquid Voice actually powered up moves like Pixilate so I could use HA Primarina instead of the generic Torrent.

For what it's worth, I beat Ultra Moon and now the champion in there too. The rematches are still a technical pain though, especially when some 'mons don't die from SE moves with sizable power behind them. Right now, main team is in upper 60s - early 70s so...

[More specifically, I just became champion on the 6th and still haven't fought Stakataka nor accessed the Battle Tree. I'm going to do some more level training before I get there and Blue/Red kick my ass for not being prepared enough / having coverage. Yes, I can technically cheat and sic my Level 100s on them, but I'd rather use my in-game stuff I already trained; only use my power ones if I have to.]

===

Also suppose I got lucky and caught Cobalion in a level 1 wormhole today after 1,638 LY (while on bus going home), though I wasn't even trying for it. Not complaining about that, since I did have a Synchronize user with a Jolly nature on me at the time, so...

HOW MAMY FULL RESTORES DOES HAU HAVE?!?! HE USED FOUR AGAINST ME!!!

For the league I gave myself 2 handicaps, no items and no switching. This was on top of me resetting if a Pokemon fainted. This made the Hau fight a nightmare since Noivern and Vaporeon hit super hard. My victory run got super lucky and had an Air Slash and Hydro Pump miss (don't think the Pump miss mattered). I REALLY wanted to break the item rule for Noivern and the damn Air Slash which kept flinching, but because it has infiltrator if I flinch it becomes a nightmare to take down. Not using EXP Share for the back half of the game also made things a lot harder. If I ever impose all these restrictions again it will be with a competitive team.

Team at the end of the game

Level 60

Petrol the Muk

Teddy the Bewear

Yukibi the Ninetales

Vikviper the Vikavolt

Level 61

Saburra the Palossand

Level 62

Undertaker the Incineroar

I was super unhappy with Palo when I started out, but man did it put in work at the end of the game. Getting a Calm nature also helped a ton.

That reminds me of a Twitch streamer when doing a wonder wedlocke of Alpha Sapphire had a "Glacia clause" that allowed them to use 4 healing items (instead of 3) since Glacia had done so to them in the past.

It was so dumb. Like, stop. Vaporeon only has one attacking move. It's over. Let it faint.

All E4 and the Challengers have 4 Full Restore that their AIs use if they know their Pokémon can still fight. I believe the 4 Full Restore set has been in use since Gen VI at least.

That is a bit excessive. I think 2 is fine. 3 would be a bit much. 4 is just no.

Anyway, cleared Rainbow Rocket. Palossand farmed Nidoking for +6 DEF and thanks to Z moves was able to 1 shot Queen. From there it laughed at Mewtwo X. Was forced to use a full restore though since King eventually used Poison Jab and hit the 30% poison (I'm so unlucky). Not fainting vs. 6 legendary Pokemon was annoying, but I did it somehow. Team ended up between 66 and 68. And now for the last couple areas, the E4 rematches, Red, and I think I'll call it.

That is a bit excessive. I think 2 is fine. 3 would be a bit much. 4 is just no.

Anyway, cleared Rainbow Rocket. Palossand took 3 farmed Nidoking for +6 DEF and thanks to Z moves was able to 1 shot Queen. From there it laughed at Mewtwo X. Was forced to use a full restore though since King eventually used Poison Jab and hit the 30% poison (I'm so unlucky). Not fainting vs. 6 legendary Pokemon was annoying, but I did it somehow. Team ended up between 66 and 68. And now for the last couple areas, the E4 rematches, Red, and I think I'll call it.

Why not IV train? You can solo with a single IV trained legendary?

Why not IV train? You can solo with a single IV trained legendary?

I use my in game team to do the various game stuff and I don't allow for outside assistance. Part of me wonders what it would be like to bring in my competitive breeding stuff for a play through, but that would be its own thing.

Anyway, so falls Red. With that all the major things in the game are done. I can still do a lot of other stuff, the Lusamine side quest being the big one, but I'm ready to do other Pokemon stuff. Never doing a "reset when a Pokemon faints" run again. It got super annoying. And I seriously think that was only possible because of Ninetales and Aurora Veil. That move made my life SO much easier.

Team at the end was

Vikviper the Vikavolt: Level 70

Yukibi the Alolan Ninetales: Level 70

Teddy the Bewear: Level 71

Petrol the Alolan Muk: Level 71

Suburra the Palossand: Level 72

Undertaker the Incineroar: Level 74

This feels like some of the highest levels I've been able to hit while just doing main game stuff, and I wasn't using EXP Share for most of the back half of the game too.

My guess is interest is waning. Honestly, it is impressive how long they have been successful.

Also, does anyone have an Own Tempo Rockruff for trade? I forgot to grab one and that is the best form. I have HA starters I can breed if you want. Also, does anyone have a HA Cranidos or Snover they can trade? Preferably in Gen 6, but 7 would be fine if thats where it is.

My guess is interest is waning. Honestly, it is impressive how long they have been successful.

Also, does anyone have an Own Tempo Rockruff for trade? I forgot to grab one and that is the best form. I have HA starters I can breed if you want. Also, does anyone have a HA Cranidos or Snover they can trade? Preferably in Gen 6, but 7 would be fine if thats where it is.

I'll breed you one

So the latest global mission (involving the GTS) ended in failure, not that I'm too surprised as iirc, the last GTS mission was a failure as well.

Well GTS is a pain in the ass to use. They did all they could to make trading miserable with limited communication and impossible Pokemon that it's not even fun

Archived