Electronic Entertainment Expo 2017

Shradow

The evil wedding planners in Odyssey being called Broodal is, like, a quadruple entendre or something. A group of small animals is a brood, they're evil and brooding, they're brutal, and deal with bridal business.

And I just noticed at the end of the Yoshi trailer, it lists Unreal Engine. Pretty neat.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Everyone's cute. I might actually play this when I buy it unlike the last two XC.

[spoiler=Also: Main 2 characters' ass game is strong]

19060106_10155268905833592_770317835612919060196_10155268905943592_6652506331099

Yoshi and Kirby coming probably early 2018. Confirmation that Game Freak started working on Switch, which I already assumed but people can finally shut up about it. I'd be that's next year as well. Metroid Prime 4 probably 2019 or 2020. I thought Nintendo's biggest question was what was coming after the holidays, and they answered it well enough.

Mario Odyssey looks funking amazing. They call the hat possession thing "CAPture".

WHY WASN'T THIS SHOWN DURING THE MAIN PRESSER!!!

Because they're trying to sell the Switch and they specifically said the spotlight would be about the Switch. This is a 3DS game. I thought that was obvious.

After checking out the Samus Returns trailer, it makes sense that they shut down AM2R.

They would have shut that down either way. They only shut it down when it blew up on every news site. It's just a coincidence they were already producing TM2R (THE Metroid 2 Remake).

Apparently it was said during the treehouse that the main villain is an EVIL wedding planner.

*Evil Wedding Planning Firm

Working for Bowser for his wedding with Peach.

I am sad they didn't mention anything about VC, though, from what I saw.

And no Smash, but hoping for Smash this soon was always wishful thinking, I think.

EDIT: Or Animal Crossing, no Animal Crossing. That was one thing I was really hoping for. :(

Consensus seems to be that VC might not be out until their online service launches. May also not want to compete with a possible SNES classic.

Smash can drop at any time. Not like they're going to sell more this year if they announced it. There's a lot of room for first-party games on Switch next Spring, so I'm betting we get the Smash and Mario Maker DX games then, maybe announced in a direct at the end of the year.

Animal Crossing devs worked on both 1-2-Switch and Splatoon 2. Based on their past development cycle, a new Animal Crossing game may not actually be out for another few years. I still want to believe it'll be 2018.

Actually, I shouldn't give up hope yet on a new Animal Crossing, Nintendo could still potentially drop some new titles via Treehouse streams (like Samus Returns) over the next few days. Nintendo's still got more info to give out.

If they announce a new Switch game during the Treehouse stream, I really can't imagine it'd be Animal Crossing. Either 3DS games or smaller Switch titles.

I'm not sure why people keep assuming they would, or why they'd even want them to over anyone else. It's been a decade since they made 3. Everyone that worked on the original Prime trilogy no longer works there.

I didn't put it together until just now that FE was another Dynasty Warriors game, been too distracted. 

It didn't help that of the 3 times they showed it they only showed gameplay once, and neither in the Switch or E3 Presser. Omega Force and Ninja Theory should have given it away though

Part of me is like, no ways thats actually Pauline, but I could totally believe Nintendo would bring her back. She been hanging out in the vs. games for a while so seeing her in the main series is cool.

Actual Mission in the Game: As the mayor of New Donk City, she's worried about how the citizens are feeling, so she tasks you with finding a bunch of musicians around New Donk City to make a band to perform and lift people's spirits: I'd assume leading to a performance of that song they showed in the trailer.

So there's still the actual E3 festivities themselves, and I'm sure we'll get more bits of news over the next few days, but how would you guys rate all the conferences?

Nintendo > Ubisoft > Sony = Microsoft > Bethesda > EA

Ubisoft > Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony > Bethesda > EA

EA and Bethesda were underwhelming with one or two interesting games. Bethesda would have had the edge with a great Wolfenstein II showing releasing this year, but the show overall was so short, barely had anything to show, and overall just made me question why they were putting the live show on. EA had Janina Gavankar so yeah

Sony had a lot of good content but had zero surprises and only one game and one DLC is releasing in 2017. When the show ended, everyone I've talked to was disappointed there wasn't more. They had other 2017 games given new trailers and release dates outside of the press conference, even if they just included Knack 2, Gran Turismo Sport, and Ni No Kuni II, they probably should have. They also completely failed to sell VR yet again, which was their biggest question mark outside of "when is everything coming?". Just a generally disappointing presser. 2018 looks like it will be good.

Microsoft was jam packed with cool games coming this year and looked generally well produced. Their main problem was that despite unveiling the Xbox One X and talking up 4K, they didn't do enough to sell the console and its $500 price point. They touted 22 exclusives, but outside of Ori, Forza, Crackdown, State of Decay 2, and Cuphead, everything was an indie title, and many were only timed-exclusives– which they tried to pass off as "launch exclusives" to make them not sound as bad. Not to mention they're all available on Windows as well anyway. Metro, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Shadow of War, and Anthem all looked amazing and I'm sure they'll look great on my PS4.

Nintendo was fun and benefitted a lot by tempering expectations beforehand with "25 minutes," "focus on 2017," and the general assumption of "no metroid". If you think about it, what we got was: a new trailer for a 2017 game a lot of people have been saying would be delayed to 2018, two trailers for colorful, kid-targeted 2018 platformers, a logo reveal, a promise that a Pokémon game is coming, eventually, a generic and nonsensical story trailer for a dynasty-warriors-type game, an announcement of a port of a 2015 game, an announcement of a game that got announced the day before, two of the funniest executive speeches in E3 history from Reggie, and a legitimately amazing Mario trailer. On paper, it doesn't sound that good. But the mere promise of Pokémon and Metroid on Switch plays very well, the tempered expectations for the event make the shoring up of the lineup for late 2017 and early 2018 look good, and the Mario trailer that carried everything else on its back made it a very good 25 minutes. The Metroid: Samus Returns reveal later was cool too.

Ubisoft surprised me the most this year. I have low expectations for them, but once in a while they can really impress. No one thought Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle would be as surprising and interesting as it ended up being. They didn't spend too much time on Assassin's Creed Origins and South Park. The necessary Just Dance segment kind of felt like a half-time bathroom break, which worked out well. The VR thing was weird af even though I have no idea what it was. Skulls & Bones was a nice thought, despite going on far longer than it should have. They went a little off the rails with the South Park mobile game, toys-to-life starfighter game, and olympic Steep dlc, but Far Cry 5 looked nice and the Beyond Good & Evil reveal was great.

Best Conference: Still Devolver Digital. Please Watch.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Everyone's cute. I might actually play this when I buy it unlike the last two XC.

[spoiler=Also: Main 2 characters' ass game is strong]

19060106_10155268905833592_770317835612919060196_10155268905943592_6652506331099

Yoshi and Kirby coming probably early 2018. Confirmation that Game Freak started working on Switch, which I already assumed but people can finally shut up about it. I'd be that's next year as well. Metroid Prime 4 probably 2019 or 2020. I thought Nintendo's biggest question was what was coming after the holidays, and they answered it well enough.

Mario Odyssey looks funking amazing. They call the hat possession thing "CAPture".

Because they're trying to sell the Switch and they specifically said the spotlight would be about the Switch. This is a 3DS game. I thought that was obvious.

They would have shut that down either way. They only shut it down when it blew up on every news site. It's just a coincidence they were already producing TM2R (THE Metroid 2 Remake).

*Evil Wedding Planning Firm

Working for Bowser for his wedding with Peach.

Consensus seems to be that VC might not be out until their online service launches. May also not want to compete with a possible SNES classic.

Smash can drop at any time. Not like they're going to sell more this year if they announced it. There's a lot of room for first-party games on Switch next Spring, so I'm betting we get the Smash and Mario Maker DX games then, maybe announced in a direct at the end of the year.

Animal Crossing devs worked on both 1-2-Switch and Splatoon 2. Based on their past development cycle, a new Animal Crossing game may not actually be out for another few years. I still want to believe it'll be 2018.

If they announce a new Switch game during the Treehouse stream, I really can't imagine it'd be Animal Crossing. Either 3DS games or smaller Switch titles.

I'm not sure why people keep assuming they would, or why they'd even want them to over anyone else. It's been a decade since they made 3. Everyone that worked on the original Prime trilogy no longer works there.

It didn't help that of the 3 times they showed it they only showed gameplay once, and neither in the Switch or E3 Presser. Omega Force and Ninja Theory should have given it away though

Actual Mission in the Game: As the mayor of New Donk City, she's worried about how the citizens are feeling, so she tasks you with finding a bunch of musicians around New Donk City to make a band to perform and lift people's spirits: I'd assume leading to a performance of that song they showed in the trailer.

Ubisoft > Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony > Bethesda > EA

EA and Bethesda were underwhelming with one or two interesting games. Bethesda would have had the edge with a great Wolfenstein II showing releasing this year, but the show overall was so short, barely had anything to show, and overall just made me question why they were putting the live show on. EA had Janina Gavankar so yeah

Sony had a lot of good content but had zero surprises and only one game and one DLC is releasing in 2017. When the show ended, everyone I've talked to was disappointed there wasn't more. They had other 2017 games given new trailers and release dates outside of the press conference, even if they just included Knack 2, Gran Turismo Sport, and Ni No Kuni II, they probably should have. They also completely failed to sell VR yet again, which was their biggest question mark outside of "when is everything coming?". Just a generally disappointing presser. 2018 looks like it will be good.

Microsoft was jam packed with cool games coming this year and looked generally well produced. Their main problem was that despite unveiling the Xbox One X and talking up 4K, they didn't do enough to sell the console and its $500 price point. They touted 22 exclusives, but outside of Ori, Forza, Crackdown, State of Decay 2, and Cuphead, everything was an indie title, and many were only timed-exclusives– which they tried to pass off as "launch exclusives" to make them not sound as bad. Not to mention they're all available on Windows as well anyway. Metro, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Shadow of War, and Anthem all looked amazing and I'm sure they'll look great on my PS4.

Nintendo was fun and benefitted a lot by tempering expectations beforehand with "25 minutes," "focus on 2017," and the general assumption of "no metroid". If you think about it, what we got was: a new trailer for a 2017 game a lot of people have been saying would be delayed to 2018, two trailers for colorful, kid-targeted 2018 platformers, a logo reveal, a promise that a Pokémon game is coming, eventually, a generic and nonsensical story trailer for a dynasty-warriors-type game, an announcement of a port of a 2015 game, an announcement of a game that got announced the day before, two of the funniest executive speeches in E3 history from Reggie, and a legitimately amazing Mario trailer. On paper, it doesn't sound that good. But the mere promise of Pokémon and Metroid on Switch plays very well, the tempered expectations for the event make the shoring up of the lineup for late 2017 and early 2018 look good, and the Mario trailer that carried everything else on its back made it a very good 25 minutes. The Metroid: Samus Returns reveal later was cool too.

Ubisoft surprised me the most this year. I have low expectations for them, but once in a while they can really impress. No one thought Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle would be as surprising and interesting as it ended up being. They didn't spend too much time on Assassin's Creed Origins and South Park. The necessary Just Dance segment kind of felt like a half-time bathroom break, which worked out well. The VR thing was weird af even though I have no idea what it was. Skulls & Bones was a nice thought, despite going on far longer than it should have. They went a little off the rails with the South Park mobile game, toys-to-life starfighter game, and olympic Steep dlc, but Far Cry 5 looked nice and the Beyond Good & Evil reveal was great.

Best Conference: Still Devolver Digital. Please Watch.

[spoiler Imagine]

Dark Samus returns and says "You thought you seen the last of me... You were wrong."

[spoiler=Also: Main 2 characters" ass game is strong]

The T&A is strong in this one.

In hindsight, yea, that makes sense. Wonder if they'll have a direct some time soon to focus on the upcoming 3DS games.

As I said, the fact that we have no idea what Retro has been up to since Tropical Freeze could certainly lead people to think they'll be involved somehow.

Splatoon 2's gonna be 1080p 60fps, that's good to hear.

Also, anyone watch the ARMS Open Invitational?

It was really cool to watch. I liked that people were using the motion controls, feels more in the spirit of things. What's even cooler is to see a game producer actually really good at his own game, it was quite impressive. You go, Mr. Yabuki.

It makes me more confident in an ARMS esport scene, too. I'd certainly love to see one happen, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived