blog-0658818001428006322.jpg.ce406ca6e26

This is basically the thing I've been gushing about all week and then some. Dies irae is a Japanese visual novel about MAGICAL nazis in modern urban Japan and it has lots of fun fights and some philosophy insane POWERLEVELS(at least later on). It got translated recently and the common route is free on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/644540/Dies_irae_Amantes_amentes/ It costs nothing to try out so you really should.

The translation's really well done and it reads really nicely. Although it's rather wordy and the story's not as elaborate as some, the characterization of its characters especially doing its fight scenes is top tier. If you're familiar with Fate/stay night(and only that, not the spinoffs), you can feel there's some influence here and there and it more or less fills the same niche. It's quite well known in Japan, and after completing the entire game I can say it earns its popularity. The only reason it wasn't translated earlier was because of the difficulty of its prose. Because now I'm lonely with no one to discuss it with, let's see if I can convert some people here.

Speaking of that patch, h scenes aside the big deal breaker for some is that it uncrops the CGs. The game was originally made in 4:3 aspect ratio, so when they had to widescreen it for the modern audience they really didn't have a choice but to crop it a bit.

Honestly it's the sort of VN that, despite sinking in hours, I find myself wanting to reread it almost right away, so I'll probably wait for the uncensor patch myself before I do that.

Archived