HP-Based

Sleepy

[spoiler=Introduction paragraph]

This is a project I've had for quite a long time. A pool of cards that is fully independent from the IRL game and runs with a few changes in how things work. Some people might even say it is almost no longer Yugioh anymore but I think the idea could be interesting. The cards and format are meant to be used in a fanfic I'm working on, but also I want to be able to print them and play with them to a satisfactory enough degree.

Mechanics explanation:

First, my cards have up to 2 Types and Attributes, Sometimes cards fit more than one category or X card you probably have wished it'd belong to a different type. This will help me distribute support better down the road. Also, I'm getting rid of DIVINE, but turning THUNDER into a new one and adding in CLEAR as the neutral.

Also, Spell/Trap Cards also have Attributes here. IRL, there are many instances like DMoC and such that have been able to grab a little too much because a Spell and maybe Icons are the farther the game can naturally divide them up without resorting to archetypes.

Level 10+ monsters now inherently require 3 Tributes.

IDK why this wasn't a thing IRL. They waste a line of text whenever a card requires 3. Now it is kept there For what? For Yubel and Earthbound Gods?

Second, all cards have a new stat: HP.

HP is the card's life (different from a player's LP) and gradually gets chipped down from them through the course of the duel. When a card's HP is 0, it gets destroyed. If said HP was depleted via a monster's attack, the card is considered "destroyed by battle", and if it happened via a card effect, then it is "destroyed by a card effect".

This is meant to replace blunt removal so that the game can slow down without getting so simplified it gets bland. It'll also try to balance out versions of cards that aren't evenly matched in any way otherwise in the IRL game. For example, Sakuretsu is in all ways inferior to Mirror Force, so in my format, versions of those effects would give Sakuretsu a bigger HP damage input to make up for it. 

[spoiler=What happens during a battle with this new stat?]

When two monsters battle, they both end up damaging each other's HP permanently. 

The attacker gets to cause HP damage equal to its full current ATK, while the defending monster gets to do half its own ATK as damage.

Face-down cards have a default original HP of 2000.

Damage gets counted in terms of the difference between a card's original HP and their current HP. This information is important for accounting HP damage transferring effects.

Equip Spells have a special mechanic change: If the equipped monster would take HP damage, you can have the equip take some of that damage instead.

Other than that, the rest of the rules of the game continue as usual following the rulebook of the Link era IRL, so columns and the Extra Monster Zones are a thing. You can make suicidal attacks without losing your cards BUT YOU STILL TAKE DAMAGE (sorry, that meme fits here).

- - - - - - - - -

The pool will eventually introduce all advanced mechanics (Rituals, Fusions, Synchros, Xyzs, Pendulums, Links) as well as at least 2 new mechanics of my creation called Player Cards and Ascend Monsters. However, none of the mechanics are going to be on this initial pool, and when they get added, they won't steal the focus of the game as heavily as the IRL introductions of these were. The idea is to create this pool as a satisfactory introduction. People already complain the IRL game is complex AF so we gotta take it slow. 

Without further adieu, here's the written base cards I've done so far. Feel free to leave your thoughts, comments, opinions on this whole thing or any card(s). I really need the insight. I remind you guys this is NOT meant to mix with any cards from the IRL game.

Written because I'm still working on the illustrations, flavor text, text box layout, and other stuff like that.

[spoiler= Cards (19/20 base)]

Rhinoceros Titan

DARK, EARTH, [beast / Rock / Normal] Level 12 

4000/4000  HP: 8000

Magical Dolphin of the Frosting Star

LIGHT WATER [Aqua / Fairy / Normal] Level 9  1000/3000 HP: 5000

Silver Rays Gray Dragon

DARK LIGHT [Dragon / Normal] Level 8   3000/2000  HP: 4500

Raging Cyclops Tank

DARK FIRE [Machine / Fiend / Effect] Level 7   2400/2000  HP: 3600

Once while face-up, if this card takes HP damage: You can have it gain that much ATK and DEF.

Good Luck Hydra Flamenco 

WIND LIGHT [Winged Beast / Dragon / Effect] Level 6  2200/1800  HP: 3300

(Quick-effect): You can banish this card from your GY; reveal (permanently) 1 monster in your hand. That monster loses Level and HP equal to this card's while it is in your hand or field.

X-Terminating Tyranno

DARK CLEAR [Dinosaur / Machine / Effect] Level 5   2000/2600   HP: 3100

This attacking card takes no HP battle damage. HP damage in other monsters from this attacked card doubles.

Spinnoblazesaurus

DARK FIRE [Dinosaur / Dragon / Effect] Level 4   1800/1300   HP: 2900

At the start of the damage step, if this card battles: You can target any number of cards on the field; inflict 600 HP damage to that card(s).

Spitting Dragon

EARTH CLEAR [Dragon / Reptile / Effect] Level 4  1600/100  HP: 2600

Once while face-up on the field: You can target a card(s) on the field; move multiples of 100 HP damage from this card among that card(s).

Shockiwi of the Goddess's Breeze

WIND THUNDER [Winged Beast / Fairy / Effect] Level 3  1700/700  HP: 2700

At the start of the damage step, if this card battles: You can target any number of cards on the field; that card(s) gain 700 HP.

Seed Delivery Beast

EARTH WIND [Plant / Beast / Effect] Level 3  1400/1400  HP: 2400

You can target 1 monster in your GY; add it to your hand. If you do, this card moves to this column's Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell Card until your next Standby Phase. If it moves to a Monster Zone this way, you cannot use its effect this turn.

Three-Eyes Elephant 

EARTH [beast / Psychic / Effect] Level 2  400/800  HP: 1900

When Summoned: You can add 1 monster with 4000 or more HP from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Three-Eyes Elephant" once per turn.

Nimbus of Miracles

WATER WIND [Aqua / Fairy / Effect] Level 1 200/300  HP: 2000

If this card is sent from the field to the GY during your opponent's turn: You can add 1 monster with 1500 ATK or less from your Deck to your hand during your next End Phase.

Mystery Fairy Bag

[Continuous Spell]  CLEAR  HP: 100

Once while face-up: You can distribute exactly 5000 damage in multiples of 100 among cards you control. Then, draw 2 cards and destroy this card.

Enchanted Gauntlets

[Equip Spell]  DARK CLEAR HP: 500

The equipped monster can make 1 extra attack on monsters each Battle Phase.

Goddess of the Forest's Breeze

[Quick-play Spell] LIGHT WIND  HP: 3000

All cards in this card's column gain HP by this card's current HP.

Treasure Anti-Curse Feather 

[Normal Spell]  WIND CLEAR  HP: 1500

Target up to 2 Spell or Trap Cards on the field; inflict HP damage to them by this card's current HP.

Speeding Hourglass Jar

[Normal Trap] LIGHT CLEAR

Immediately after this card resolves, Normal Summon/Set 1 monster. A monster Summoned this way requires 1 less Tribute.

Underworld Gate Whale

[Continuous Trap] WATER CLEAR  HP: 3000

Once while face-up on the field: You can target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, and this card takes HP damage equal to that monster's HP. If this card leaves the field: Inflict HP damage to that monster by this card's original HP. If that monster leaves the field, inflict its original HP to this card.

Black Light Ray Column

[Continuous Trap] DARK THUNDER  HP: 2100

Once while face-up: You can target 1 monster on the field; this card takes HP damage by the target's current HP, and if you do, attach that monster to this card. If this card leaves the field, Special Summon that monster to its owner's side.

The second part of your explanation with the HP sounds a lot like Pokemon.

What you're doing is a combination of Pokemon and YGO. You made Yu-Gimon.

Yeah, more or less xD

Not exactly the same but for the most part yes. 

Umm.... Is that good or bad?

Archived