[MTG Standard] Gideons Crops

So I got a Gideon Deck learning it was White and Red which I was interested in trying a red combination deck so I decided to make this where a Exert themed deck with support from Gideon, the Enchantments and instants to keep the monsters going and to burn the enemies away Specially since Crartouch of Zeal can reset all the Trails of Zeal to deal more burn.

Plainswalker 2

2 Gideon, Martial Paragon

Creatures 18

4 Gust Walker

4 Nef-Crop Entangler

4 Honored Crop-Captain

4 Devoted Crop-Mate

2 Combat Celebrant

Enchantments 8

4 Cartouche of Solidarity

4 Trail of Zeal

Instants 8

4 Impeccable Timing

4 Magma Spray

Land 24

4 Stone Quarry

4 Inspired Vantage

8 Plains

8 Mountains

soooooo you realize that marshal paragon is an intentionally bad walker, right?

cartouche of zeal is also one of the worst catouches in the set. i mean.... you're even already playing green w/ charioteer, so why not... you know.. play the green cartouche? it's probably the best one there is... oh btw, you have no way what so ever to play charioteer.

cartouche of zeal is also one of the worst catouches in the set. i mean.... you're even already playing green w/ charioteer, so why not... you know.. play the green cartouche? it's probably the best one there is... oh btw, you have no way what so ever to play charioteer.

I don't know if this is too helpful. Thomas Zero seems like a newer player, and just stating that cards are bad doesn't help. Maybe Thomas Zero isn't a newer player. Even if that is the case, deck reform shouldn't be statements, they should be explanations and ways to help as Thomas Zero has explained what he wanted to do and try to get across.

As for your deck, a RW exert deck is an interesting concept. Alongside Gideon and Enchantments, I can see what you are trying to do. You are trying to be an aggressive deck that puts pressure on the opponent from the start and can afford to have slow creatures as you are playing them out turn after turn. But you're starting behind one turn, as you miss the first time. Aggro decks work out when they start with pressure and keep applying pressure. It doesn't have to be quick, but it needs to be consistent. You have a bunch of different avenues.

For one drops, there are two that are perfect in this type of deck. Thraben Inspector and Village Messenger. They are non exert creatures, but they help to curve into more damage and help to keep the flow of damage around from the start. It is a nice play to have when you're stuck on a few lands or behind a few turns from bigger decks.

The Gideon that you mentioned isn't necessarily bad, but he is definitely outclassed and weak in terms of many other threats that could be doing. Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is pricey, so I don't know if that is the route you want to go, but he is the best card in Standard at the moment as well. Most decks can't deal with them and have a hard time getting away from the value he provides. He is a threat and a source of extra bodies, and an impeccable (see what I did there) to close out the game. The Gideon that you have placed does nothing that helps to gain an advantage or work to put the game in a favorable position, when you are not in one. In other words, he is a win-more card that doesn't help to assure a win.

Forest Fire is correct on the Enchantments, both of them actually. Always Watching is a preferable ENchantment to be playing as it helps to make Exert creatures work over time, giving the vigilance. I suggest that card over any other Enchantments. It helps to keep damage going and make your creatures great against other creatures in a racing scenario. The trial and cartouche are good cards for a smaller deck that wants to keep making plays, but not one that wins the game with powerful creatures. They help to win when you're already winning, which is why they aren't good. Forest Fire told you more ideas. The Green one is kind of awesome, but 3 color manabases aren't cheap or in most forms consistent.

Another card that is coming to my attention is Thalia's Lieutenant. Most of your creatures in the deck right now are Humans, and this is perfect in those type of decks. It is a must kill threat that takes away with the game from the get go, only make a win faster to occur.

One of the best cards in Red right now is another Exert creature, but a dragon. As Forest Fire mentioned, you have no way to cast the Chriateer and going into three colors in these mana bases is stretched enough that it isn't worth the play to do so. Have you looked at Glory Bringer? It kills creatures and the opponent quickly. It is hard to kill and is your best answer against Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.

I am not telling you want to change, just some ideas.

To be honest when I first saw Charioteer I somehow originally saw it as a Red White Creature and IDK how I missed that. Still I'll switch that for Companion of the Trails.

And I'll look up the cards you mentioned Rod and see what they are but also looking at the gideons I guess the reason for it is due to Mana cost where Paragon is a 5 and Zendikar is a 4 where am surprised you not mentioned the 3 cost Gideon that prevents your opponent from winning the game though when it comes out only comes out as a 4/4 indestructible.

Still Paragon I wouldn't think is that bad since it's 0 is basically turn into a 5/5 indestructible and +2 being able to untap your exerted creatures and give them +1/+1 and if you pull off the -10 you basically make your opponent partially defenceless that turn (taking in consideration if they have any instants in hand.)

Finally IDK about the Zeal stuff since a 1 cost enchantment for 1+/1+ boost with haste is nice combo'ed with Trail for that burn to either creature or player where resetting them can both blast monsters and chip away at the opponents life.

To be honest when I first saw Charioteer I somehow originally saw it as a Red White Creature and IDK how I missed that. Still I'll switch that for Companion of the Trails.

And I'll look up the cards you mentioned Rod and see what they are but also looking at the gideons I guess the reason for it is due to Mana cost where Paragon is a 5 and Zendikar is a 4 where am surprised you not mentioned the 3 cost Gideon that prevents your opponent from winning the game though when it comes out only comes out as a 4/4 indestructible.

Still Paragon I wouldn't think is that bad since it's 0 is basically turn into a 5/5 indestructible and +2 being able to untap your exerted creatures and give them +1/+1 and if you pull off the -10 you basically make your opponent partially defenceless that turn (taking in consideration if they have any instants in hand.)

Finally IDK about the Zeal stuff since a 1 cost enchantment for 1+/1+ boost with haste is nice combo'ed with Trail for that burn to either creature or player where resetting them can both blast monsters and chip away at the opponents life.

Is this for Standard? I don't know what your budget is, but here's an idea for a mono-W list. Not having to worry about two colors of mana will make your deck more consistent, which is particularly relevant for budget aggro decks that can't have ETBT lands, and will let you focus on the "good stuff," so to speak. You generally want to be as low to the ground as possible. (FWIW, the Abbeys aren't necessary, so feel free to cut them if you so desire.)

4 Thraben Inspector

4 Town Gossipmonger

3 Gryff's Boon

2 Expedition Envoy

4 Glory-Bound Initiate

4 Thalia's Lieutenant

3 Gust Walker

2 Selfless Spirit

4 Always Watching

3 Devoted Crop-Mate

2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

4 Cast Out

19 Plains

2 Westvale Abbey

When assessing walkers, it is more correct to look at the relevant abilities if their Ultimates (the last effect) are a little more out of the way and aren't as relevant. Gideon of the Trials is an exception, but he doesn't help to push the game in your favor when you are behind. It is a card meant to stop creature decks that win with 1 or 2 creatures or combo decks that can't remove it. Otherwise, it is terrible and easy to remove from other different strategies. Paragon's last ability takes longer to have any impact while the other effects aren't necessarily good enough to help make up for that time loss.

Rinne's decklist is a nice proponent of what an aggro deck is centralized around. It is a good starting point if you're looking for one.

Archived